1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jun 20, 2019.

Discuss Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wouldn’t say any of the first team signings were Hammond.

Aside from Elhamed who was a Dudu special and Boli, think we’ve been after every player we signed for a couple of years. Says more about Congerton having full control than anything else really.

Think the amount of academy signing from EPL teams is more Hammond.

Keano88 and littlekennie like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Done well during his trial.

Hopefully keep him on now.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Early doors to say just yet. We'll have a better idea how well he's done at the Winter Break.

Early signs seem much more promising than the rat and Congerton though. Could you imagine him being open to the recommendation of a 28 year old RB with a single international cap plying his trade in Israel? I certainly can't; his ego wouldn't allow it

Yet that signing looks levels above Gamboa & Toljan and will be on a fraction of their weekly wage. It confirms that value is out there to be found if we're industrious enough to find it.

Mickmac, StPauli1916 and littlekennie like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Wee bit from Lenny during his PC

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sounds like a decent bloke and well liked already

kinglenny likes this.
  6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It really was an out of the box thinking in regards to elhamed... Normal people my self included were like he only has one cap for his age must not be any good rather than question why has this guy only got one cap what's the story behind it then you look at his background and maybe that might have had something to do with it..... Really happy with the signing

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

7. shieldsybhoy

Just listened to Lennon's press conference and this guy is staying on. Fair * to him, from the outset he's done a fantastic job.

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC look set to name Nick Hammond as their new full-time head of recruitment.

The 52-year-old has been helping the Hoops with signing targets on a temporary basis since June.

But now SunSport has learned that highly-rated Hammond is on the verge of joining Scotland’s champions on a long-term contract.

Celtic have been looking to fill the role since Lee Congerton quit to join Brendan Rodgers at Leicester City.

The former Reading and West Brom talent chief has impressed Parkhead kingpin Peter Lawwell with his diligent behind-the-scenes work.

Now both parties are ready to commit to a long-term agreement and a formal announcement could be made this week, barring any last-minute hitches.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  9. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No problems with this. Hopefully getting a succesful run of transfer windows with this guy.

Rydo1888*, Mickmac and Tommy25 like this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

All good..

Stops short of the DOF model which is needed in the longterm.. but he’s overseen some excellent signings.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was partf a successful window..

One of our best in year's in fact..

Good news..

Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce that it has appointed Nick Hammond as the club’s new Head of Football Operations.

Nick, who worked with the club as a consultant during the summer transfer window will, with immediate effect, take up this position and oversee the club’s football operations working alongside the Football Manager, Neil Lennon.

Nick is very highly regarded across football having held Director of Football and Technical Director positions at Reading FC and West Bromwich Albion FC respectively.

In recent months Nick has worked to bring a number of quality new signings to the Celtic, working closely with Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, and Peter Lawwell.

Nick has already undertaken a review of the club’s recruitment and scouting functions and he will work immediately to implement his recommendations to support the football function.

Nick Hammond said: “Celtic is a very special football club and I am delighted to take up this position with such an iconic institution. I have enjoyed my connection immensely with the club so far and I was very keen to join Celtic.

“We have done some good work over the summer. I wanted to play my part in continuing to improve the club’s processes and ultimately ensure that we continue to recruit and develop the best possible players we can at Celtic.

“I have experience of many football clubs and I know that Celtic is a club of the highest quality, a club with the highest standards and that it is blessed with some great people.

“Across the Football Department we will work together to ensure that we continue to meet these high standards and do all we can ultimately to play our part in bringing success to the club and our supporters.

"This was very important for me and a huge factor in deciding to move to Glasgow.”

Celtic Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell said: “We are delighted to appoint Nick to the position of Head of Football Operations. He has provided excellent advice to the club over the summer period and his wealth of knowledge and expertise will be invaluable to Celtic going forward.

“We are delighted that he has agreed to join the club permanently and having worked so successfully with the club already, we have ensured important continuity for the future.

“This is a hugely important role at the club and in Nick we have appointed a man who we know will deliver excellent results.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon added: “I have known Nick for some time and I know I can trust him and rely on him to produce excellent work across our football operation.

“He has considerable experience, great knowledge of the game, great insight into players and a tremendous work ethic. We know he has a huge appetite for this new role and I know he will be a very important addition to our team.

“Having already worked with Nick, we know that we are appointing a man with first-class credentials and I am delighted to welcome him to the club on a permanent basis.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The most obvious appointment ever that one.

Can't mind the time scale on top of my head, but be interesting to know (we won't) who/how much he had a say in transfers. If I'm right in saying really only the last few loans and the younger players coming in, which is good in the aspect that he has started building the club/player pool at a younger level with an eye to the future.

As always with these things, he will need a few windows to see how he really does.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    January could be an interesting window.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE plucked Virgil van Dijk and Victor Wanyama from nowhere and helped turn them into multi-million-pound household names.

Neil Lennon’s first spell in charge of Celtic wasn’t all about trophy glory.

He and head of recruitment John Park uncovered bargain buys who were developed into players chased by England’s biggest clubs.

While Lennon is back in Glasgow’s east end, Park’s expected return didn’t materialise.

This week Nicky Hammond’s starspotter role was made permanent after his initial arrival on a short-term basis back in June.

Vast sums of money dedicated to a global analysis of the game has made the job of discovering hidden gems so much harder nowadays.

But Lennon believes ex-goalie Hammond, who was previously Reading’s director of football and West Brom’s technical director, is already showing a knack for finding players for the future.

He said: “Nicky’s appointment gives me a lot of comfort and also gives the club stability.

He’s very experienced in that role. He knows exactly what he wants from it.

“In terms of a manager’s role, recruitment is up there as one of the most important facets of the job these days.

So his role here will be key. He is setting up the recruitment department, whether that be up here, in England or in Europe. All scouts will report to him.

“He overlooks the analysis and they’ll report to him as well. He’s going to be busy.

“I have been really impressed with him in the three or four months he’s been here and I’m delighted we’ve got him.

“Initially he came more in a consultancy role.

“He had a look at us and we had a look at him, but I think both parties liked what they saw. He was great for me when I came back, I could bounce things off him.

“He has got good contacts and a good knowledge from his time at Reading and West Brom. It’s not like he’s a newcomer. He’s had ten or 12 years of it now.

“It’s a really big undertaking, managing that department and the people underneath, keeping everything running in terms of the reports coming in on a regular basis, video data.

“He packages all that, so we can have a look at it. He’s very proficient at it.

“He is a hard worker, I’ve seen that. He’s very diligent, very professional and a good guy as well

Spurs star Wanyama joined Celtic from Beerschot in 2011. He cost just £900,000 but, only two years later, was sold to Southampton for £12.5million. Around £2.6m of that cash was used to snaffle Van Dijk from Groningen that summer.

Lennon had left by the time Van Dijk was prised away, again by Saints, for £13m, before Liverpool came calling with a record-breaking £75m in 2018.

Others like Fraser Forster and Gary Hooper were signed and then later moved on for a healthy profit.

Lennon said: “Is it more difficult nowadays to find the likes of a Wanyama? I think it is, just through competition and the money out there.

“But Nicky is excited and very enthusiastic about it, so hopefully we’ll have some good players to look at between now and January.

“If he sees someone he likes he comes walking in. Don’t bother emailing me! He’ll say, ‘Come and have a look at this’. I much prefer it that way.

“It’s important to see players with your own eyes, whether I watch them or Nicky watches them a couple of times. He’s been to see players in the past for us, particularly in the summer.

“Sometimes stats can hide things and sometimes they can overdo things too.

“It can be down to your own personal preference too. Has he got good legs? What’s his running style like? Is he a technician? Could you see him playing for your team? Is he the type you want? That’s what you don’t see on the sheet of paper.

“Character is important. Also things like stamina, speed, enthusiasm and pace.

“A lot of those attributes, along with temperament, make up the whole package. That’s what you’re looking for.”

Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Early doors but I like what he appears to be trying so far.

Staying clear of England for the most part unless an unreal deal comes about.

Markets such as Israel; Poland; links to Ligue 2 players; Serbian etc and promising EPL youngsters on the cheap is exactly where we should be going. We are even scouting south america at long last.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    DennyCelt, Rydo1888*, Peej and 8 others like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye everything seems back to the way we had things with Park in Lennons first stint. No surprises there that Lennon and the board will be looking to recapture that sort of success. Also going back to Peter Houston, who I was always impressed with how he once detailed how our setup worked with regards to scouting etc. Laid the whole thing out well, and if we are bringing the likes of him back in, the setup must surely be returning to a club previous success. With Hammond being near enough a DoF as well, it perhaps highlights we are turning to a club that will be better structured and bring managers in who compliment US, rather than in the case of Rodgers, where he tore up the backroom staff and brought his own guys in. Nowt against that model, but it put us in the * when he walked out on us. This way, the staff are Celtic staff, not a single managers personal guys. Still imagine some managers in the future will have say on new staff etc though - we can't be forcing assistant managers on folk - ala Deila.

While making this post, I wanted to check that Houston was actually back at the club and came across this site:

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Coaching+and+Backroom+Staff

Two things I noted;
    1. Pedro Matias - who? Seems so random! Although scouts etc we should be hiring folk from a variety of leagues.
    2. this "Senior Groundsman:Johnny Hayes"

What?

19. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Is peter houston back?cant find anything.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

We only call him if we have a problem.

oh bhoy, Rydo1888*, dbhoy72 and 6 others like this.