1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Three people have died in clashes between rival fans in Honduras, with former Celtic player Emilio Izaguirre among 10 people injured.

Violence broke out inside and outside the stadium before the derby between Olimpia and Motagua in Tegucigalpa.

Izaguirre, 33, was one of three players injured when stones were thrown at the Motagua team bus outside the stadium.

He later shared an image of himself sporting a dressing and said glass had damaged his eye.

In a post on Instagram, Izaguirre said it is "painful" to think of those who died in the clashes.

He played down his own injuries, saying some glass went into his eye but added it is "nothing serious" and "the danger is over"

The fixture was postponed as a result of violence, which saw police use tear gas to tackle rioters.

"Three people died and seven were shot and stabbed. One of them is a boy. Three of the injured adults are in critical condition," local hospital spokeswoman Laura Schoenherr told Reuters new agency.

Motagua blamed members of the Ultra-Faithful Olimpia fan club, saying: "This has to be severely sanctioned by the authorities."

Izaguirre started his career with Motagua in 2003 before joining Celtic in 2010. He spent seven years with the Glasgow club before moving to Al-Fayha in Saudi Arabia, only to return to Celtic in 2018 for a further season.

In all, Izaguirre won seven Scottish Premier League titles with Celtic and returned to Motagua for a second spell this seaso

MickeyyMack likes this.
  2. celts67

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    What a goal from Izzy v P. Rico, also set up the 2nd. Rampaging number 7 now.

Bring him home. :D

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Goal and set up for the second from him

Rydo1888* and packybhoy like this.
  6. celtic warrior

* love this man.

I don't care what the reason ever is, this * can come back to Celtic and visit his second home anytime.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sake. He comin back again?

Let it go Izzy

Doogs. likes this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Bring him home :fear:

dbhoy72 likes this.
  11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Bring him home.

12. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Report in the DR that Izzy, in an interview in Honduras, has stated that Celtic turned down a £9m offer for him from Manchester Utd, and that he was fined £600 each year for not going to the Celtic Christmas Party......

Either Izzy's being smoking something strong, or Jabba's been doing the Spanish translations again.... :fear:

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I know we turned down Liverpool after his first season. Could have been Utd.

14. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I know it's possible, but £9m for a player that cost us something like £650k after one year? Lawwell would have had him on the first bus down there.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Poor craic that if true.

I know boozing and social events aren't everyone's cup of tea but things like that are an important part of team bonding and squad unity.

Surely he could've gone along for a few hours, showed face and went up the road?

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Could be due to his cultural background. South American’s are more family driven. Maybe he didn’t want to put himself in a position where a young girl can get a selfie and the story can blow up into something else. I know he is pretty religious.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Or maybe his wifes a control freak who gets jealous as * because shes dating a footballer and wont allow him out.

I'm going for that. Cow.

18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Could be.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Getting fined for not going to the Christmas party? Bit weird.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic defender Emilio Izaguirre claims Celtic once rejected a £9 million offer for him from Manchester United because they would only sell him for £15 million.

The veteran Honduran left back was in Glasgow for two spells which yielded 12 trophies, including seven league titles before eventually returning to his first club Motagua.

After being signed for just £650,000 in 2010, Izaguirre's outstanding form in his first season at Parkhead, where he won several Player of the Year awards, saw him strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford the following year.

And Izaguirre, in a TV interview in his homeland, revealed how close he came to being a United player

He recalled: "Celtic signed me and although I didn't speak English, in my first year there I had a great season.

"Then Manchester United came in for me. They offered £9 million, but Celtic wanted £15 million so it never happened."

And the 33-year-old revealed why the Festive period proved to be a costly time for him.

He said: "I got fined £600 every year for not going to the Celtic Christmas parties!

In almost nine years there, I never went to one."