1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Glen Murray

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by SCOTTYBHOY_67, Jan 4, 2020.

Discuss Glen Murray in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Football fans really know * all

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

It just reeks of a lack of ambition. Have our scouts been on strike this past while? Are there no other strikers who're not ancient out there that we can get? Or is this simply us just going for the cheap option and hoping it works out.

If he's no longer good enough for a club like Brighton who'll be fighting relegation this season and the major interest is from a team in the bottom half of the championship then he's nowhere near good enough for us even as a backup.

The type of signing THEY would have been a season or two ago and we'd have all laughed at it. Our most successful forward signings have been talented young strikers in Dembele and Edouard, why go completely against that? We should have learned our lesson from Carlton Cole, who even now is the same age as Murray.

We're still trying to take shortcuts when we should be going out and signing the players that'll guarantee us the title and put us in a good position to progress further in the Europa League. Murray does neither. Sure he might get the odd goal against some dross but in crucial games I don't think he contributes anything significant.

3. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Hes a premier league striker and he scored 13 goals last season for Brighton.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s 36 and has scored zero goals this season.

Stats can be manipulated to suit any argument.

Hammy89 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not against signing him as long as we sign Sporar, or someone of that ilk, as well.

I’d have more faith in Murray coming off the bench and contributing than I would in Griffiths or Bayo right now.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Also I hate this backup nonsense. We should be looking at a striker who can either challenge Edouard or play up alongside him, not a 36 year old who might come off the bench and do something every once in a while.

This time a couple of seasons ago we had Edouard, Dembele and Griffiths. Now look at the situation, looking at Murray to be backup to Edouard who's been pretty much our only striker for a while now, being forced to play wingers/attacking midfielders up front when Eddy needs a rest. It shouldn't be like this.

Like I said, it seems like we're just hellbent on taking shortcuts, we're trying to limp over the line and get 9IAR.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Pretty low bar though mate.

8. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Waste of a wage.

Calton Cole pt2

Free the Adblock and Hammy89 like this.
  9. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    A striker who comes in and instantly challenge Edouard would cost between 10-20mil, so that is not going to happen in January. Our style of play suits 1 up top also. So I can understand Lennon looking at an experienced target man in the short term.

10. oh bhoy

Glen Murray is exactly the right player we need for the assault on the Europa league and quadruple treble naw wait no he aint

11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Slippiest old striker in the epl. Might be a shout for the huns, as advisor.
    On 24 January 2018, Murray and his wife Stacey were arrested on suspicion of tax fraud totalling £1.1 million.[67][68] In April 2019, HMRC announced that they had concluded their criminal investigation and no charges had been brought.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It is but needs must. We need two strikers and if we splash out on Sporar then a cheap option like Murray wouldn’t be the worst. He’s barely had a sniff this season but he was banging in goals in the EPL while Defoe was sitting on his *. We could do worse as a 3rd choice.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Meh.

Wouldnt be crazy for this but alongside someone like Sporar I wouldnt care as much. Hed give us a different option and anytime I've seen him has actually offered something for his side.

This season he seems to be firmly on the decline though.

I can see why this could be true.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s been involved in 13 games in the league and scored and assisted nothing.

Signing Sporar doesn’t make signing Murray any less good or bad.

He’s either a good signing or he isn’t...

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Potter spent good money on a new striker and has completely changed Brighton’s style of play. Murray doesn’t suit it and therefore has started about 3 games this season. Scored in one of his few starts. He was scoring against Man City and Arsenal only a few months ago so he’s still got something about him.

Of course signing another striker would make a difference to signing Murray.

If we were only signing Murray, then he’s coming in to be the number 2 striker. If we sign Sporar, or someone else, then Murray would be coming in as a third choice striker so wouldn’t be involved as much.

Like I said. If we had the choice of bringing on Murray or Bayo then it would be the former every single day of the week.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Pretty good striker over the last couple of year's but he just doesn't suit us now..

How many ball's do we launch or whip in now? No much..

Forrest barely every whips a ball in and almost always checks back in out of our mainstay wingers and it's pretty similar. Eddy barely gets a headed chance..

Sporar and a young striker like Touaizi would suit us better..

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tbf I’d say we put in a fair amount of crosses. Boli and Frimpong tend to whip it in regularly. We just usually have no aerial threat in the box.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This is never happening lol.

19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    His position in the team changes whether or not it’s a good signing. Saying any different is completely false

Officer Doofy likes this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He wouldnt be brought here to challenge Edouard in that sense. Lennon isnt an idiot.

Every side needs balance and as much as it's good to have players who are challenging in every position sometimes it's not possible and can cause players to become unhappy when they're not playing. Someone like this at this stage in their career that wouldnt be as much of an issue.

It's literally one link in a paper and folk are losing their *.

I'm 100% confident glenn Murray is not our primary striking target.

Officer Doofy likes this.