1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I’m not brushing it aside at all. My main gripe is and has been his injuries and the length of time it takes him to get fit. The mental health issues are an entirely different beast and of course he needed time off.

Like I said before, we don’t owe him anything. So I disagree that he deserves the chance and yet more time. He needs to get his fitness sorted out and start playing well when he gets his chances. If he can’t do that between now and the end of the season then he should be punted.

2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

He's nowhere near good enough to replace Edouard long term, as said, we are miles away from the side we were when he was our #1 striker.

Losing Edouard and having Griff as our starter would be a bigger downgrade than when Larsson left. Would be one of the biggest downgrades we have had.

Happy to have him as a back up/squad player, but at this stage I'd rather bring in a young talent like what we done with Edouard when Dembele was the starter.

Wouldn't be thinking of loaning him out until a proper replacement was found. Bayo not even in my thoughts, don't think he makes it.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He seems fit enough to play now, does he not deserve his chance?

4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Too many multi quotes:84:

Even so, you brought the inconvenience comment into the debate with someone else as if that was their take on it.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Given Morgan was getting picked ahead of him then he must not be doing it in training.

It’s up to Griffiths to play his way into the team. It’s not ideal for him only getting 15 or 20 mins in games, but those are the times he needs to prove to Lenny that he’s good enough. And in most of his cameos he’s looked miles off it.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s how it read given the word choice, and that people were quick to jump on his stats in the past few seasons, without taking everything else into consideration.

Morgan being picked ahead of him might be down to match fitness. I guess we’ll see. I still think he has something to offer and think loaning him out would be stupid.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't see how it's stupid..

He's nowhere near where he or we need him to be. His touch is terrible and he doesn't look like he has a finish in him at present. He's been presented some absolute sitters....even practically on the goal line..

He's been number 3 for a number of year's until Dembele left. He's gonna be number 3 when we sign at least one quality striker in the coming window..

He's no gonna get the game time he needs and staying and rotting on the bench is gonna do absolutely nothing for his confidence or us long term if we decide we want to punt..

In my opinion this is a chance for him. It's been a terrible time for him and no one really knows what he's been going through but as a football club..We've done our bit rightfully sticking by him and will continue to do so, but....going on loan could be the difference in him staying here long term or no..

I'll be honest I think he's on the way out at some point maybe in the summer...but if he went and thought fuckit....i'm gonna knuckle down and go somewhere to play regularly, get his confidence and goals back...then he may change some minds. If he just stays and sits on the bench and gives us 20 here and there no contributing that much....then I think that'll damage his career here more than any 6 month loan away would..

I'd love him to prove me wrong but with his calf injuries as well (which have been ongoing for year's), I very much doubt I will be..

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fair enough, you’re entitled to your opinion, I think it is because loaning out a proven goalscorer, when we need goalscorers, is adding more to a problem when we don’t need to. We’ll see how it turns out for him.

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Not to labour a point but, he isn’t scoring goals now.
    You’re the one not seeing the big picture you’re accusing everyone else of not seeing.

10. dmccourt95

He looks devoid of any footballing ability these days. Caught offside and gives it away pretty much anytime he comes off the bench

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A wee goal would work wonders for him.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Talk about moving the goalposts. I was refuting the tunnel visioned opinion that his league goal tally in the past few seasons tells the whole story.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Come on tae *. :56:

14. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He's hardly had much of a chance, we should be looking to give him at least 30 minutes per game .

Quoted the wrong post...

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

It’s you that’s grasping. You want to ignore or disregard his most current stats then claim he shouldn’t be loaned out as we need proven goal scorers, even though he isn’t playing / scoring to the standard we require or need.

He was a proven goal scorer, but isn’t currently.

16. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Hopefully he will start against St Mirren , a full 90 minutes and a goal or two will do his confidence the world of good .

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

At present, it's 30 minutes that we can't afford to guarantee him. If the rest of the team was finishing the chances we're creating and we were comfortably up then aye but they're not and it's leaving us having to play games out.

As said above the drop in standard from Eddie going off for Griff in his current condition is massive.

He didn't check across his line and got flagged for one, then gave away possession on both occasions that the ball next came to him.

I think a loan suits all parties. 5 months at a club were he can gradually get back up to speed and the demands/stakes aren't so high, get his fitness up, score a few goals and get his.mojo back.

Gyp Rosetti and McChiellini.. like this.
  18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony

19. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A have faith that he will return to form, just needs more match time to get his fitness n sharpness up. Really hope hes back to his best for the ten in a row season next year.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Complete and utter nonsense, almost from start to finish.

A guy that’s scored over 100 goals for Celtic and that some folk were (rightly at the time) wanting to start over Moussa because of how red hot he was does not equate to 1 incredible season and the remainder of his Celtic career being bang average. That is a knee * opinion that is revising the facts.

I’m not suggesting he’s an Eddy equivalent but at his best he is more than good enough to replace him due to injury suspension or even loss of form. He is a born goal scorer and when he’s in the right place again, he’ll continue to be.