1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Celt, Ian Young passes away

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Dec 11, 2019.

Discuss Former Celt, Ian Young passes away in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

EVERYONE at Celtic Park was saddened to hear that former Celt, Ian Young who played for the club from 1961 until 1968, passed away suddenly after illness at the age of 76.

Had it not been for an untimely injury, Ian Young may well have been part of the Lisbon Lions side that swept Inter Milan aside in May, 1967, and he could have enjoyed a more prolonged career with Celtic.

As it was, his misfortune allowed the likes of Willie O'Neill and then Jim Craig a chance to shine at right-back, and it was the latter who would establish himself in the position and take to the field in the Estadio Nacional

Seeking first-team football, the defender eventually departed Paradise for Love Street in 1968, where cruciate ligament damage would cruelly cut short his professional career at just 27.

Nonetheless, Young, could quite rightly reflect on his Celtic career with great pride. He was a regular in the side when Jock Stein arrived at the club and helped Celtic end an era of underachievement to become the dominant force in Scottish football.

Young starred in the important 1965 Scottish Cup triumph – the club's first trophy in eight long years – and he was also in the team which overcame Rangers in the League Cup final of the same year. This was another significant turning point.

And while he wasn’t at Fir Park to join in the celebrations as the Hoops won the first of nine successive titles in 1966, he certainly played a vital role in that success.

Joining from Neilston Waverley in June, 1961, Young was also farmed out to Neilston Juniors, and he scored three goals in 133 Celtic games before his move to St Mirren.

The thought and prayers of everyone at Celtic Football Club are with the family and friends of Ian Young at this sad time

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A sad reminder of the passing of time and another of that golden generation that has been lost. YNWA :shamrock:

3. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
  4. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    R.I.P :shamrock:

5. gerry_bhoy

6. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    RIP. Sad news.
    Read a really good article on him a couple of months back, he was very close to being one of the Lions. Found it very interesting.
    So much so I'd asked my missus to get his autobiography for me this Christmas.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    RIP :shamrock:

Rydo1888* likes this.