1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Elon Musk Defamation Case

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by scootz, Dec 7, 2019.

Discuss Elon Musk Defamation Case in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

How the actual * did he win that case?

Seriously!?

2. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  3. scootz

That's the only conclusion I can draw too.

Sydneysider likes this.
  4. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Cos the guy he called peado guy was looking for $140m.
    Greedy *

5. scootz

That's neither here nor there, but I'll bite.

Musk is worth about $24 billion. A payout of $140 million to him would be around 0.6% of his worth. So say a bloke is lucky enough to have £5k squirrelled away and was facing a similar trial and the figure of 0.6% of his worth was deemed correct for the punishment... then the final punitive figure would be about £30. That hopefully puts it in a slightly better context.

Musk acted like a * - the diver should have aimed for the stars with his claim. How much more defamed can you get - one of the worlds richest, most famous and most followed men on Twitter tweets that you're a 'pedo' without a single shred of proof (and basically because he was having a hissy fit). It's one of the most vile insults!

At the end of the day it's a question of was the diver defamed or not. Of course he was!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wouldn't surprise me if Elon Musk is a paedo. Weird *.

Sydneysider and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It clearly shows money can buy anything in the legal system ! Call him paedo guy in a twee and get away with it . Americans are a weird bunch .

Sydneysider, Johniebhoy. and scootz like this.
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

Are we all free to call Elon Musk a paedo, then? :giggle1:

9. scootz

I'd think twice about it - it appears the * has the power to do what he wants, so would probably successfully sue you for defamation... and take the shirt off your back!

Sydneysider likes this.
  10. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I was thinking that myself earlier. I can't see how this isn't defamation.

11. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Seen this on Reddit, seems to sum it pretty well.

If you're one of the many people on reddit who were convinced that Musk would lose - here's why he won:
    Defamation, in the US, requires that you be *defamed*, not just that someone said something bad about you. I'll give an example to show how this works.
    Lets say that you're in a crowd of people and say "the guy in front of me is a pedophile!"
    If the crowd turns around and beats that guy into a pulp then you've defamed him, because you've said something untrue about him that has resulted in him being harmed.
    However, if the crowd turns around and beats *you* into a pulp then you haven't defamed anyone, because your false statements have only hurt yourself.
    In Musk's case, he said that the diver was a pedophile. But literally every single person in the world immediately told Musk to go to *. Because the diver didn't suffer any harm as a result of Musk's false statements, he wasn't defamed and this was a very open and shut case - frankly it shouldn't have even gone to a jury.
    Keep in mind, if you go to wikipedia to read up on defamation law what you're reading about is the state of defamation as it existed in England 100 years ago and to a certain extent continues to exist in England today. But the US hasn't followed the original English common law on defamation since the mid 1800's, and successful defamation suits in the US are so rare that they might as well not exist.
    In other words, if you're reading about how you don't need to prove damages to win per se defamation or libel or whatever what you're reading is incredibly outdated as far as the US is concerned.
    edit: and just because I know reddit too well I'll head this one off - yes, the US is made up of states that have different laws on this. But every state needs to meet the minimum requirements imposed by the 1st Amendment, which gives you the right to lie about people so long as you don't harm them.

PorchBhoy67 and scootz like this.
  12. Sydneysider

Musk actually commented before the case that if it wasn't true "... Funny the guy hasnt sued me.. ". Smug xxxx

Musk also called him a "child rapist ":

13. Jeremie Frimpong

14. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is this the same guy who unveiled an indestructible motor and his mate smashed the window twice at the launch event?

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  15. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

I don't agree with the verdict in any way but it seems a pretty open and shut case in the American court system, if anything this should highlight how bad the defamation laws in America are.

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  16. scootz

I figured there may have been some reasoning along these sort of lines, but *-sticks... if someone publicly gets called a paedo then you can bet a pound-to-a-penny that it's going to haunt that person for the rest of his / her days. He HAS been harmed... mentally. It must have been * for him!

I'd also argue that it wasn't a case of 'literally every single person in the world immediately told Musk to go to *'. There was plenty of discussion amongst folks that I know about whether there was truth to it (most of the logic being that someone of Musk's profile wouldn't have come out with something that vile unless there was some truth to it).

17. Sydneysider

Pity he didn't bring the action in the UK , California is a *-hole run by certain interests.

scootz likes this.
  18. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    In short, the U.S. “justice system” favors the rich. There’s a reason we have one of the highest incarceration rates in the world AND most white collar crime is overlooked.

scootz and Montero like this.
  19. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I wonder if musk ever rubbed shoulders with epstein?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk