1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Twisty, Aug 5, 2010.

Discuss Car Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. angusceltic67

When I just learned to drive I just wanted an old banger myself and was advised from a mechanic I know to go for a Toyota or VW.

Got a wee Polo for well under a grand and got three years use out of the thing with very little money spent on repairs.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That's the ideal scenario. Just a no-hassle runaround that does the job.

I'm sure my pal had a Corsa and had a torrid time with it but I guess it's just your luck.

I'm not going to be spending fortunes on something just now. Between £500-£2k hopefully (The lower down the scale the greater my chance of going to the away leg in the last 32 :celtman2:) so I don't know if Gap Insurance would be worthwhile in that instance.

I would probably have went 3rd party only insurance if there was a decent saving but for most of the quotes I've looked at there's only a minimal saving (£50-100 per year) so will probably go Fully Comp.

Aye, I've had a look at a few Polos, definitely wouldn't be against it or a Fabia as most of the mechanics are the same I've heard?

Not in desperate need just now so I can bide my time til the right one comes up.

3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Gap insurance isn’t worth it for the cars he’s looking to get.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Was worth it for me when my first car was written off.

5. Onefootwonder

The last MOT threw up a few advisories that could be real issues by now. 5 months can see things going downhill fast especially when corrosion sets in.

The oil leak sounds more than a drip. The corroded fuel pipes and brake pipes could be quite bad by now.

The paint is faded badly. It will look poor in person. A good machine polish would revive the paint, but it'll be costly to do if you pay someone. You'd have to live with the red paint being flat and white.

For checking the MOT history all you need is the registration plate. It'll give a good indication of how the car has been looked after.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

I like this site. You need to register to get a few more details. It'll show when it was previously up for sale and gives a few free valuations. I don't think the valuations are accurate at all. I wouldn't trust Cazana for valuations.

https://cazana.com/uk

HPI are good for valuations in my opinion. Do this in a private browser and it won't leave cookies. You'll get unlimited free quotes. Leave cookies and it'll only give you a number of free valuations.

https://hpivaluations.com

Another little tip. If a car is sitting around on Autotrader for ages there is likely something putting people off. Also if it's been up for a while a trader will want it sold. You'd have more scope for discount.

If you see the link you've given the first numbers are 20191115xxxxxx

That basically means the advert was posted on the 15/11/2019. Simple little trick that not many people notice. Even dealers.

Callum McGregor and Seán Mac D like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Brilliant advice there @Onefootwonder.

I thought something was up with it. I'm not too bothered with cosmetic issues on something but not keen on taking on something that's going to have mechanical issues, as I wouldn't know where to start in fixing them.

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I mind a wee while back there was a motor you could check the MOT history and the advisory said

DRIVER LOOKED LIKE A *

it was removed after doing the rounds :56:

bagforlife and Seán Mac D like this.
  8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be wary of dodgy mot's as well but they are the best thing to go on before viewing. So many cars on the road with a shady history.

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I can imagine it was for you if it was an expensive car, the gap insurance is probably more than the car for what Seán is looking at.

Callum McGregor and Seán Mac D like this.
  10. Onefootwonder

Read this the link below and realise how corrupt the car market is.

Here is another good site. It costs a few quid for a proper check though. The guy scans all the salvage auctions across the country.

Basically there is tons of cars that have been crashed badly and have been written off. For numerous reasons the car hasn't been logged properly and the car shows up clean on any type of HPI check.

Badly damaged cars are repaired and sold as perfect cars. The guy has even found cars at main dealers who have been caught out. It's some really high end cars involved in this too.

Here's one of the guy's threads with 25 pages of dodgy as * criminality. His threads are a big read, but what a complete eye opener.

This highlights why any car you buy needs a professional inspection. Also a couple of quid for a check is worth it too.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116085&start=345

https://www.vcheck.uk

11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can some * explain this, please?

Why do some people want their car to sound like its letting off fireworks from its exhaust?

Big loud revving up and then POP POP POP or BANG!! BANG!! Loud as *. There is a motor round my bit does it almost every night and it is infuriating. I don't get it.

12. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Nuisance *. Just another mod for 25 year old guys trying to impress school weans.

Marty McFly likes this.
  13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty poor that, mine does POP, BANG, POP, bang. BANG, BANG.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

High powered cars make those noises naturally. Basically they’re trying to intimate the noise.

That’s the basis anyway, I dare say wee fannies are chasing * from bus stops by making themselves more noticeable AKA peacocking.

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

You sure it’s not imitating aren’t you.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m intimidating a sober * the noo m8, gies a break.

Spring Time likes this.
  17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

:60:

PaulM1888 likes this.
  18. Onefootwonder

Did you not attach cardboard to your forks to clip off the spokes, or wedge an empty jubilee cup against the tyre to make excessive noise for no reason on your pushbike when you were young? :giggle1:

Artificial farts, pops and bangs are for those who haven't grown up yet.

They don't realise they look like arseholes too.

19. celts67

I like the astra gtc limited edition man would f----g love one with this reg .Thinking about it maybe this year .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  20. celts67

Car of the year 2020 cheapest is 13 grand UK maybe about 10 grand in 1 year .