1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

League Of Ireland Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by daveybhoy1, Aug 7, 2015.

Discuss League Of Ireland Discussion Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Cracking goal from Michael Duffy for Dundalk

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In fairness he only came on in the 89th minute but still wild that a 14 year old got on the pitch at all. Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers in the FAI Cup semi-finals coming up on Friday night should be a good one.

3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Gutted... totally outplayed by rovers tonight.. we were clueless..

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    As much as I hoped I would be wrong I expected them to win Friday night. The results Bohs have had against them the past couple of years are pretty remarkable considering the gap in resources between the sides. But of course in a one off cup semi-final and playing at home I was hoping Bohs could pull another rabbit out of the hat but not to be. I felt a bit better today when I saw Dundalk won the other semi-final as in all honestly the chances of Bohs beating both sides back to back was always pretty low.
    Big picture wise Keith Long has again worked wonders with the team and the academy continues to be a tremendous bedrock for the first team. But the facts are as things stand until Dalymount Park is redeveloped into at least a modern 6,000 seat stadium the club will be at best doing what it is now fighting to be the best of the rest behind the current top 2. Fridays crowd was a little over 3,500 yet they could have sold at least 3 times that number of tickets. A new stadium would make a big difference revenue wise and that combined with finding a way to fully fund and run a full time professional academy is the key for long term future success not just for Bohemians in fairness but probably any League of Ireland club really.

thailandceltic likes this.
  5. Perfidious Albion

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hampden in the sun
    Well said.
    Don't forget long term injury to Corcoran. Couple of midfielders were rushed back for this game too, KLongs last gamble. Bohs limping with 4 games left for the last euro spot.
    Rovers brushed them aside. Lucky early goal.
    But prob didn't have to get out of 2nd gear after it.
    Bohs cup luck ran out, lucky to get past shels and Longford in previous rounds, in truth.

thailandceltic and eire4 like this.
  6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yep you are both bang on. Does anyone actually know what the * is going on with the redevelopment?

One good thing to come out of the cup results is there will be an extra spot in Europe. Fourth now gets a place, hopefully we can get that

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well with the way the results went last weekend Bohemians are back in with a real shot at third place again thanks to the win over Cork City which now leaves Bohs 2 points clear in third with just 3 to play and with Pats 5 points back in fourth one win in the last 3 should seal European football for next season which would be a really solid accomplishment and a deserved tangible reward for a very decent season.

8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah Pat's have to play Derry too, it would be a disastrous run of results to deny us Europe now. Reward for this season and the previous few. European nights back in Dayler, its been a while..

eire4 likes this.
  9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Bohs 2 -1 Dundalk... European football within touching distance...mon the Bohezzzzzz

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    We did it...

74156067_10162248846470702_6129197830683754496_n.jpg

freitassen likes this.
  11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Considering all the limitations both on and off the park once again a very impressive job from Keith Long this season. He has had to deal with a lot of injury issues to key players for long stretches of the season as well.

12. freitassen

I lived two years at Phibsborough and southern Drumcondra, quite close to the Dalymount Park. I dont exactly miss those days because I was poor as * but there is a big place in my heart for the Bohs and northside Dublin. Hope they are drawn against a swedish or danish team at Europa League so I can try to see them again.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    eire4 and thailandceltic like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Nice goal from Michael Duffy against Rovers

14. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Dundalk v Linfield on now.
    Quite a colourful songbook from the Dundalk fans.

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Nice to see Dundalk * all over them 6-0. Is the gap between the 6 county league and the Irish league really that big?

16. freitassen

Yes.

An All Ireland Cup didnt work out because it wad embarassing for the IFA teams.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yes I remember the Irish teams dominating the Setanta Cup. Would still like to see the 2 leagues scraped and one all Ireland league put in place of the current structure. But I see that while some of the clubs in the 6 counties were open to such a an idea the IFA has put the hammer down and said no. Typical of those bigots really so not a surprise but a shame all the same as it would be a step in the right direction I think.

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    [​IMG]
    POPPY badges bearing the Finn Harps crest have been removed from eBay following a complaint from the club.
    The Ballybofey side was forced to act after the items surfaced on the online auction site.
    The badges, which show the Finn Harps logo alongside a poppy and accompanied by the words ‘Lest We Forget’, were listed for £11.99.

According to the seller a percentage of the money raised was going to the Poppy Appeal. But the British Legion, which organises the annual fundraising drive, has confirmed to the Donegal News that the items are in no way linked to them.
    Account holder ‘able-mable56’ described the pins in their eBay sales pitch as being “limited edition” and “mega rare”.
    “Brand new never seen anywhere before it has the Finn Harps club crest in the centre alongside a 2021 poppy. Lest we forget and Finn Harps in black on a white background. This is mega rare,” read the listing.
    Controversy surrounding the poppy is not new and arises every year in the run up to Remembrance Day. Derry man James McClean has suffered years of abuse for his stance in not wearing the symbol.
    A Finn Harps spokesperson said the badges had not been sanctioned by the club and that staff were actively working to have them removed from eBay.

“Those badges that have surfaced online are not official club merchandise,” said Harps.
    “The only place to purchase official Finn Harps products online is via the club’s website.
    “We are currently seeking their removal, as we have done in previous instances where counterfeit club goods have been found on sites such as eBay, Etsy etc.”

After being contacted, eBay appears to have taken steps to remove the Finn Harps pins. But identical badges attributed to other Irish clubs, including Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians, are still available.
    Stressing that the items are not being sold by the British Legion, a spokesperson said, “This is not a piece of official Royal British Legion merchandise and the money raised won’t be going to the charity – unless of course the seller then donates the money from purchased badges.