1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Noticed the line ups mate , Quite suprised not just with Griff. Thought a few changes would have happened after Rome

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully see him back after the international games.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  3. Seosamh Máirtín

Feels like he hasn't been a player for us in about 2 years. I think it's time to look at other options. January would be a great time to bed in a new striker.

Dan Breen and ladbroke8 like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He still has a part to play.

Lenny said Griff won’t be going still doesn’t mean we won’t look at someone.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon has explained Leigh Griffiths ' continued absence from the Celtic squad as the striker was not involved in the 2-0 victory over Motherwell.

The Scotland forward hasn’t played for the champions since a 3-1 victory over Hearts in late August. Following his personal problems the former Hibs star has been hit with niggling injuries and a virus.

The 29-year-old was pictured at Celtic Park as he took part in a full training session before Celtic jetted out to Rome.

But he was not involved in the heroic Lazio result or the visit of the Steelmen.

And Lennon has provided an update on Griffiths' fitness and issued a challenge to his talisman to get up to speed in the next fortnight.

He told Celtic TV: “We’re hoping to give him two good weeks of work, then he has a developmental game next week – see how he comes through that.

“We want him up to speed, he’s not up to speed, not at the level that we want him at, he’s got to do the work in the next two weeks."

packybhoy, Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    TBH, I'm a bit fed up with the Griffith's situation.
    My patience for him is decreasing rapidly, it's time we got someone else in to give Eddy a hand.
    Not that long ago LG was trying scarves to posts... jumping around in the dug out with Lenny at Ibrox.. definitely think there is a big attitude problem with this guy.

7. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Hope he can actually get fit and playing after the break , if not we will have to look for other options

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's beyond a joke now. Of course taking time off for personal reasons is completely understandable. But the talk near the end of last season was that he might make an appearance before the season was out.

He had the entire summer to work back to fitness, which he sort of did...but it's now well into November and he's played 312 minutes of football this season (according to Transfermarkt). And this is clearly not a one-off. He's always been one to pick up injuries in his time here.

Just can't depend on him to stay fit for any length of time.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s frustrating he’s still not match fit, that’s undeniable but let’s not frame mental illness as an attitude problem or ‘beyond a joke’ FFS.

We’re no huns.

10. Jeffrey

If the guys *, he's *. No point in giving him stick or ultimatums. Hes under contract at celtic, if he was physically injured it wouldn't be 'a joke' we would accept its the risk you take when signing a player long term. This wont be the last player we have this issue with either, such are the times.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The last part of Lenny's comment's sound like a kick up the * to me..

Particularly "he's got to do the work in the next two week's" which should be standard for all player's..

Afolabi when fit I'd have ahead of Griff at the time being..

Seosamh Máirtín and Lewis Kerr like this.
  12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What’s wrong with Afolabi?

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Got injured think he's no longer back training..

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah Celtic knew the risk when extending his contract. When fit he is deadly but he hasn't been fully fit for * knows how long. The reality is we need a new striker in January to replace Eddy next season and probably another within 12 months.

15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    That is such a brutal assessment. Guy has had serious mental health issues and apparently a suicide attempt. He was stuck in a downward spiral of depression regardless of what triggered it. Celtic and Neil Lennon are doing right for Leigh Griffiths the person whilst the player is on ice and rightfully so. There is such a wide spread epidemic in all walks of life with mental health currently. I’m assuming you are aware of the 2 words constantly associated with it, “The Stigma.” Well it’s opinion like your own that creates that environment where people who has lost their way are afraid to speak up from fear of being vilified or seen as weak. Your sick of his situation and Griffiths is probably sick of it too. We have a very successful side who are not having problems scoring. What difference does it make to you? It’s not coming out of your pocket. Would you be so ignorant to the situation if he was suffering a form of cancer? Your obviously a person who is fortunate enough not to have dealt with the subject. Wether yourself or someone close.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    By the way...why is there talk of his off field issue's still?

There's been time's when he wasn't the best in training I'm sure under the snake and before when it was questioned. It could just be as simple as him having to do more at Lennoxtown..

Lenny has done it with quite a few other's like Shved for example. If you're no meeting the requirements...you won't be in the squad..

Marty McFly likes this.
  17. ddub11

What ever the issue is with Griff i think the club should be honest about it with the fans.

We seem to be told he,s on his way back only to be told there another set back without actualy being told why.

If the guy isnt fit to play fair enough,just tell us exactly why and when we can expect to see him back,if their are other issues fair enough just say so and he can be left alone to sort out his issues.

Im sure everyone here would love to have him back playing but the way the situation is been handled i think its testing fans patients.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We have literally just been told, he isn't up to speed.

Isn't match fit, match sharp etc. He will play a Development Team game and see where he is at.

As @McGuire says, he's back now from his personal stuff. He is training, he is fighting to get back. We should be leaving him to get on with it instead of all this questioning.

Seán Mac D and StPauli1916 like this.
  19. jamiebhoy67

I just think Lennon is giving him every opportunity to improve to the standard of the squad our standards have been raised so high since griff was our main man he needs to get to the same level as the rest too often his head dropped in games I dont know I'd that's linked to his off field issues or vice versa. In my opinion he was to easy to defend against in recent times when u have eddy who comes short or can go behind the defender then can drop in and play false 9 aswell as coming off the wing theres just much so much more to his game than griffs atm not to say griff is bad it's just testament to how good edouard is

tarboltontim likes this.
  20. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I could take that the wrong way but I won't.
    I got a bit heavy there so I've edited.
    What you have to remember is...where you are...internet forum, you know nothing about me and I likewise about you.

As for mental illness, i think just about everyone on the planet has been touched by it in one form of another.

I love to see LG back....but * me ...part of that looks like it's down to him , a big part.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Dan Breen likes this.