1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ddub11

I must have been watching a different game from ronnie whelan.

2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Actually, we have an ok record against the Danes and they should be qualified so they may not be so desperate to win (he says fingers crossed!)

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    I have Sky so I'm stuck with Phil Babb and 'the nose' Stephen Ward hehe!

4. ddub11

Ronnie going on about being confident of beaten denmark after that game......nt sure what he saw to give that impression

5. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Yeah Denmark did the Swiss so could well do us..again....squeaky * time...but as they should be qualified..maybe the Danish coach will try out new players..and give us a chance?

6. ddub11

Am i getting this wrong so?i thought if we beat the danes we were through and the danes were out ?and if the swiss win their next two (should do no probs)they were trough with us

7. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    First 2 in the group go to next stage, although there is a playoff possibility as well for the remaining 4 spots for Euro 2020.

Currently standings in Group D look like this:

1. Ireland with 12 pts and 1 match left at home against Denmark
    2. Denmark with 12 pts and 2 matches left, one away to Ireland & one home against Gibraltar (Zero pts)
    3. Swiss with 11 pts and 2 matches left, one home against Georgia & one away against Gibraltar

Ireland, to qualify for next round would have to beat Denmark - a draw would still not do it since Denmark is likely to pummel Gibraltar and still end up with more pts coupled with the Swiss at least beating Gibraltar (Then on 14 pts, possibly 17 should they also beat Georgia at home).

So as I say, Irish will have to pull an upset at home against the Danes since the playoffs for the final 4 spots is now based on the best 16 performing NTs from the 2018-2019 League of Nations (Ireland did poor there so unlikely to make it into the playoffs)

ddub11 likes this.
  8. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Liam Brady made a sobering, if valid point last night, that we're lucky to even be in the position we're in going into the last game. Slim victories over Gibraltar and Georgia and two late equalisers against Switzerland and Denmark are not anything to get excited about, and papered over quite a few cracks.

We're a bang-average team with an almost non-existent goal threat, proven by the fact that we needed 4 points from last night's and Saturday's games to qualify with a game remaining, limped away with 1, and scored no goals. That leaves us with the huge task of having to beat one of the group favourites in the last match to earn a place at next year's tournament.

Forgive me if I'm not optimistic.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    It's actually really unlikely if we come third we won't make the playoffs mate.

I'd say 10 of the 12 League A Teams have either qualified or are almost certain to with only Croatia and Finland still with work to do.

Of the 10 League B teams rated higher than Ireland I would say 7 are almost there ( including Denmark) as they must have qualified for us to end up in the playoffs.

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No assuming they beat Gibraltar they will still need a point against us in Dublin to qualify. Hard to see us qualifying but considering how bad the current Irish team is especially with the ball in midfield and our lack of any quality up front playing what is now essentially a one off game against Denmark in Dublin with a win meaning qualification is probably a scenario I would have taken if offered it before the group started.

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sadly every bit of what you say there is true. I would add not only did we get late goals to get a point in the first games against Denmark and Switzerland but in both cases especially the second half in Denmark we were getting completely dominated too and we really did not deserve the point in either game.

Dan Breen and Gil-Scott Heron like this.
  12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In fairness this Swiss team is simply a vastly superior team to ours right now. It is as simple as that.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    They have played a game less so they will be playing their 7th game a few days before they come to Dublin which is at home against Gibraltar so safe to assume they win that one. All a moot point now as the situation is now an Ireland win sees us through on the head to head most likely and a draw sends them through most likely assuming they beat Gibraltar and Switzerland beats Georgia and Gibraltar at home also most likely.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If we do lose or draw against Denmark we will most likely end up in the playoffs but not based on the qualifying groups it would be based on the final standings in the nations league. Nothing is set in stone in that scenario yet of course but most likely we would play away from home in a one off play off semi-final against a team from League a or more likely League b. Then a draw would be made to decide who would host a play off final which would also be a one off.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    ddub11 likes this.
  15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    How’s things in Catalonia my friend? What’s your view on it?

16. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Love the response from Catalans to the sentencing - today general strike & mobilization of people throughout Catalunya.

i think it ramps up in spite of violence from police & Spanish fascists. I can only envision one outcome, freedom

upload_2019-10-18_7-41-29.jpg

Dan Breen, Liam Scales, eire4 and 3 others like this.
  17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    This may be the final act by Spain that will push Catalunya on to freedom. Also it shows a proud people who will overcome the Spanish because in the protests every age was represented.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá. Soar Catalunya.

[​IMG]

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Randolph played yesterday so that's at least one of our first choice back 5 can play on the 18th.

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Last night's results mean Ireland are definitley in this months draw now.

Gabriel likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Assuming we do not win tomorrow which is most likely we will probably be away from home in a one off semi-final next March. So still alive but on life support really at this point in terms of qualification.