1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugby Union

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jozo The Provo, Nov 8, 2014.

Discuss Rugby Union in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Japan deserved that win impressed by how they played and their defense was pretty decent as well as they showed in the second half.

2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

They got the basics right and then some. It's not easy to offload the ball at that speed and to maintain the intensity that they did for so long.

They've been lucky with a few calls (Samoa scrum, that blatant forward pass for the first try on Sunday) but they're worthy winners of the group.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Georgia maybe but not Russia. They only qualified because Spain and Romania both fielded ineligible players in qualifying having lost to both of them. I would say that Romania have much more of a case of being added to the 6 nations then Russia. Maybe the best solution would be to add one more team to the 6 nations so that in future each team has 3 home and 3 away games each year. But you also introduce a second tier with the top team in tier two being promoted and the bottom team in a new 7 nationals being relegated each year.

GAA_Celtic likes this.
  4. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    We talking about the same pundits who have said this has been a great world cup?! There should have been 24 games and out of that 24 we have had 2 or 3 exciting games. Scotland and Japan was interesting because of what was at stake. The refereeing has been poor. Teams haven't been playing full strength. The tournament starts now...4 weeks in.

Japan DO the basics very well. That is why they are so efficient in the contact. Of course that isn't all they have done but they play in such a controlled and organised way they don't need to be risky.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    scootz likes this.
  5. scootz

Agreed - the media have been using rhetorical language when discussing the performances of ‘The Brave Blossoms’ (even the nickname makes me wince!). It’s the same patronising * at every tournament when discussing a team that’s punched above their (expected!) weight.

One offload was super cute - the rest has been very basic, but very VERY good!

Again, that’s not a criticism - it’s actually a huge compliment as few teams have been so tidy in possession as Japan have been... and boy they’ve reaped the rewards!

But ‘fancy’? Absolutely not. Don’t fall into the agenda-trap that the broadcasters have been laying.

GAA_Celtic likes this.
  6. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    There was literally no mention of Ireland playing their 3rd choice fly half and most of their second team from the so called experts/pundits. Didn't even say a word about the three penalties Japan shouldn't have had against Ireland - the 3 penalties world rugby have since acknowledged and apologised for. Japan have been the benefactor of a lot of dodgy decisions in this WC.

I was in no way belittling what Japan have achieved. To win rugby matches you have to do the basics right that is a simple fact.

scootz likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you think Japan are playing solid basic rugby then there’s no point even discussing it.

You don’t even need a commentator to tell you if you have a pair of eyes.

8. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    If Japan aren't doing the basics right they can't implement any sort of game plan. In Pool A there has been no team that have matched them for playing basic rugby to such a clinical level. I remember within a few minutes Bundee Aki knocked the ball forward 3 times in the space of 5 minutes in that game.

They never played anything fancy against Scotland and to anyone that's says they played fancy rugby against Samoa and Russia well they're talking out of their *. I can't actually remember how they played overall against ireland because I was getting * of with how poor we were.

9. scootz

Are you interpreting ‘solid basic rugby’ as a bad thing? If so, then let me be clear - it’s not. It’s a wonderful thing to behold!

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    They played plenty of fancy Rugby against Scotland to be honest....but more impressively, with an end product..

11. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    They played intelligently, there was nothing fancy.

Had to edit my last post, i blamed the wrong player. Can't remember who it was but on their third try the back should not have be pressing up on the attack. Left the defence wide open.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    scootz likes this.
  12. scootz

The first 3 Japanese scores involved them running straight lines through a comically awful Scottish defence. The most basic of attacking principles!

Their last Try was a ripped-ball and foot-chase. Again, nothing fancy about it.

Our defending during open play was absolutely hideous.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Solid basic rugby is make your tackles, stay organised and nick points for wins, no different from any other sport. You are equating them to Killie under Steve Clarke. Couldn’t be further from the truth.

They are quick, technically sound, try things and score points rapidly. Your assessment of them is just plain wrong.

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Who does everybody think will make the last 4??

I am going for New Zealand,Japan,Australia and France.

15. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    To play quick rugby you have to be able to handle the ball, pass the ball and keep possession of the ball. These are the basic skills of rugby. They are able to play quick rugby because they do these skills so well.

They aren't poachers they play rugby in a controlled and organised way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But dont be saying they play fancy rugby because they don't. They play intelligent well well managed rugby.

scootz likes this.
  16. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    New Zealand Vs Ireland: I have thought for a long time that Ireland will have something different to show in this world cup. Neither NZ or SA were going to be easy games and that's why I think Schmidt and co have had to work on something new but they won't be showing us what until the play a big team. Over the last few years teams have been able to build leads over NZ only for NZ to reel teams back in but now they can't afford to do that. Ireland need to go beyond their peak but this team has been in free fall since Schmidt announced he was leaving. I will go for a NZ win.

Japan and South Africa: I think it will be a NZ and SA final and probably the start of s new era for rugby. With Rassie being back in SA they have become competitive again and are on an upward curve.

While I think Japan play good rugby, they dont play great rugby. We need to put their wins into perspective here - they beat a 2nd/3rd string Ireland team and did so with some dubious calls. They got a bonus point against Samoa which was ridiculous. They beat a Scotland team who had themselves beat and if they played anything near what they showed in the 2nd half probably would have been in the tournament still. Won't be a surprise if they win - they have been in training for 240+ days

England Vs Australia: This is a tough one. I don't think England are all they are cracked up to be. They are big players that like to knock the * out of the opposition. Australia are doing * lately, they beat NZ who had a man sent off and were then tanked a week later. Hard to see how this one will go.

Wales Vs France. Wales.

cidermaster likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Were Guardiola’s Barcelona a solid basic football team? They did the ‘basics’ of passing and movement better than any other so they must have been?

18. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    So you have gone from complaint about posters comparing Japan to Kilmarnock and now you are comparing them to Barcelona because I have said they do the basics right?

19. Aidan O’Shea

New Zealand will beat Ireland but they’ll put up a fight.

South Africa will be too powerful for Japan, but it could be a cracker.

Wales will beat France in a boring game.

England will coast past a very average Australia team.

cidermaster likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m using footballing examples to show how absurd your opinion is.

The Japanese are not a solid, basic rugby team this World Cup. They are quick, technical and flashy.