1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    My problem is how long he has been in his role and his remuneration, we are told we can’t pay EPL wages that is unless you are Peter Lawwell. There is also the resolution 12 question which he has been caught lying about.

2. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    What resolution 12 question ?? Seriously I dont know nowt about this...update....googled and now know situation..............

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Bayern Bru likes this.
  3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    The same folk who constantly moan about PL would have been the same ones who had it in for Fergus, we know how that's panned out, it's easier finding snow in July than finding someone admit to booing him that day.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  4. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I well remember that day, shameful as it was.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There's certainly more that booed Fergus than let on. I remember asking my Granda why people were booing (I was 9) and I remember him telling me they were dafties, but there were thousands who did.

I'd say the dynamics are completely different now. In 1998 the narrative was fundamentally controlled by mainstream media, with readerships & viewerships that blew Celtic fanzines like Not the View out of the water. The result was those controlling the vast majority of information were a compliant anti-Celtic media. It can't be overstated the influence they had on opinion.

With the emergence of the internet comes new media, informative factual blogs and the ability to fact-check MSM garbage that would've previously been accepted as gospel.

Peter Lawwell is no Fergus McCann, it's not even close. For a start the bunnet fronted up his own money and took a capital risk when no-one else was willing to.

CEOs are ten-a-penny, if there was no Lawwell there would be another who could do the job (open for debate if they could do it better) If there was no McCann then there would be no Celtic.

Some may try point to their seemingly similar outlooks to running a football club eg. refusing to secede to greedy agents demands, but for me it's a false equivalency.

The bunnet was keeping tight reign on a club that was hours from closure; Lawwell in most circumstances obstinately refuses to spend more in accordance with our revenue increases unless it's for shareholder dividends or grossly above inflation wage rises for board members.

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Not Celtic chat.

Liam Scales and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye there is more info available now due to the internet, hopefully the fact checking will become popular though, and aye the anti Celtic perspective may have been reduced greatly, due to people getting info from the internet now. However sadly there is still one shitload of utter drivel spouted about PL and his priorities including remuneration levels and increases payable. I would start with A/ Check the boards salaries B/ Check and see how much is paid in dividends, its not the millions upon millions some seem to think.
    The likes of NTV pretty much agreed with the msm regarding Fergus as well, so I don't get yer point on that either.

You will need to tell me the board members who have had this "grossly above inflation wage rises" as I've looked at the figures for 2016, 2017 and 2018 and the salary payments* are, basically, static so no idea were you got that * from but aye, as you say, fact checking :giggle1:

(*I've excluded pension and benefits in kind and bonus as these are obviously not salary payments and arent payable to them all either anyway).

Alison 25k
    Bankier 80k
    Pete 1.150million
    DD 25k
    McKay 147k
    Brown 30k
    Livingston 0k
    Wilson 25k

Allison 25k
    Bankier 50k
    DD 25k
    Pete 1.150 million
    Livingston 30k
    McKay 140k
    Riley 0k
    Brown 14k
    Wilson 25k

Allison 25k
    Bankier 50k
    DD 25k
    Livingston 30k
    McKay 140k
    Riley 371k
    Brown 0k
    Wilson 25k

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Why haven't you included Lawwell's 2016 figure?

It wouldn't be because it shows his basic salary increased by 100%...would it?

As you can see by your own figures, Bankiers salary rose 60% between 2017 to 2018.

Happy to help.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Problem you have then is Pete doesn't set his own salary (I simply missed the 2016 figure) so while it did increase that will have been DD/Board not Pete and the same applies for Bankier, yet you are spouting off that its Pete who does all this for board members ...

As you say happy to help :50:

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Your own quote:

"You will need to tell me the board members who have had this "grossly above inflation wage rises" as I've looked at the figures for 2016, 2017 and 2018 and the salary payments* are, basically, static"

100% increase and 60% increase are not "basically static" regardless of who agrees them.

As before, happy to help.

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. Pogues

Sean I agree with all of that except for your last sentence.

Latest accounts show our expenditure is higher than our revenue so I would say Lawell is right to be a bit wary, even although he sanctioned a fair few new signings over the summer.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

share.JPG

“The Board does not consider it to be in the best interests of the Company to take the steps proposed by the resolution. The Board recommends that you vote against this resolution”

It's time they explained why this is their stance given the concrete evidence that shareholders of the PLC was denied a possible £12million+ from qualification to the 2011/12 Champions League.

My vote is FOR the resolution, make sure that you do too.

seanm, Rydo1888* and johnboy19 like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    awe well we're a big club after all and he generates the cash

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    His early failure in the transfer market the last 2 summer has cost the club £37m cash!

16. wulliebad

Its funny but not manny moaning we also out spend spl clubs on players.....PL is a bit of a * and he has made mistakes.....but right now there can be few complaints about our team its players and where we are as a club.
    Sack him if you like but the next guy into the job will just do as PL has been doing....because PL is not top of the ladder and does not set the rules or guideline on how we maintain our bank balance.....you want change then you need to aim at the top.......DD.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  17. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    true :56:

18. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    My only real issue with him is, for at least a decade, he's basically been CEO, chairman and de factor DOF at the club. Not to mention being the only club figure publically speaking all the time. The rest of the board and Desmond sit back in some mansions doing and saying literally * all.

He's a very good money man, but should be in charge only of counting pennies and boosting profits. Football men for the football jobs.

19. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    * threads like this give me a headache.

20. Ak1

You’ve only got to look at them, and a £11m loss over the past 12 months to realise what PL does well.

He may be a *, but he’s our *!

And name a decent CEO who isn’t?