1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Complete overreaction to yesterday imo, both from a Christie perspective and result/performance perspective. I feel it's more a missed opportunity to heap pressure on rangers than anything else over the past two league games. There is no doubt our fixtures and amount of away games has been to our disadvantage.had we gone into this break ahead having the fixtures we had they would have imploded between now and Xmas. Results like yesterday galvanise them and focuses the mind. People forget the amount of horrific points they dropped last year and then we had a good few late winners Dundee Kilmarnock and hearts away spring to mind. Away games thick and fast and throw Porto home and away (2 losses for them) let's see how they cope in the run in to Xmas

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    You can search his name on Twitter and it will still bring up posts that have been made by people using his name. The only things I have seen are conjecture from people and Hun accounts.

I’m not saying he didn’t get some level of abuse but I’ve yet to see the plethora of death threats which are being alleged. Bizzare.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Where has anyone said he was getting death threats?

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Seen it alleged on the Twitter-sphere. Don’t particularly believe it.

Have yet to see any abuse angled at him at all to be honest. I’m sure it would have been called out by most if there was.

Mind you, I don’t doubt that maybe 1 or 2 idiots said something stupid which happens all the time.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Don't believe Celtic fan's would be giving him death threats..

Do believe he was getting some abuse though from Celtic fan's and other's..

Aye in an ideal world, I'd have none of our player's or that on social media..

Christie is a very quiet kid. Whenever I've seen his social media it's been more about him and his missus. Well at least now he knows..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    No, neither do I think Celtic fans would do that. I haven’t seen any over the top abuse from Celtic fans either on the Twitter. I’m sure he got a bit of flack but was there any completely over the top abuse from our fans? I haven’t seen any evidence.

Social media in general is poisonous so it’s best used sparingly by players.

charlietully and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. celtic warrior

* love the *. For most part he's been a more agile and lively version of Rogic for me.

But * me that tackle was reckless, serve the ban and then sit in the bench fir an extra ganr let Ntcham take his place for an extra game.

He shouldn't be rewarded with an immediate return after suspension, Ntcham has been playing well and deserves the chance now to play. Christie's own fault for getting the red.

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ryan Christie lifted the lid on being victim of social-media abuse and his anguish at the “shocking” tackle which him made an online target.

The Celtic playmaker has vowed to bounce back and learn from his red card at Livingston last weekend.

Christie suffered in the wake of the bad challenge on Scott Robinson which saw him ordered off during his side’s 2-0 loss.

The attacker was devastated by his out-of-character moment and was then subjected to fury by online trolls who hammered him in the aftermath.

Christie closed down his Twitter account and, as well as saying it’s gone for good, he’s also determined to use the setback as a big learning curve for the future.

He said: “For me personally, I don’t really have the Twitter App. But even if you are not on it, it’s kind of word of mouth.

“Your friends and people can’t help but show what this person and that person has said.

“It’s basically impossible to stay away from it. People say stay away from the App, but even if you do that, it will always get back to you.

Things like Instagram are better in a way because you can set it so you can’t really see these sorts of things.

“Twitter is hard. As soon as someone mentions you, it’s straight onto your timeline. For me, I think it’s best that I just call it a day.

At the end of the day, I’ve realised it maybe just a platform for people to come at you. The quicker you get rid of it the better.”

While Christie dodged social media, he stood right in front of responsibility for his actions.

The Celtic star took solace from the outlook of Robinson and his manager Gary Holt afterwards as he explained speaking to both after the incident.

Christie said: “He [Robinson] was alright. The Livingston manager was alright as well. It was nice speaking to them and knowing they had no ongoing feelings after it.

“I think they realised I am not that kind of player and I hold my hands up. I knew straight away it was a shocking challenge and I had no complaints with the referee or anything like that. It was a terrible challenge.

But it’s important, and my gaffer at the club said it, that the most important thing is you bounce back and you learn from it.

“You need to find the line with controlled aggression. I was just frustrated with the way I started the game and I ended up lunging in. That’s when you can hurt someone and I was gutted.”

Christie got back into the swing of things representing Scotland in Russia and is now hoping for an outing against San Marino at Hampden to keep moving on from the incident.

He said: “I’m over it now and it helped getting back onto the park in Russia, even though the result was not what I or we wanted.

“At one point, I just wanted to bury my head in the sand a little bit.

“It was nice not to be suspended for these [Scotland] games and get a chance and, hopefully, I can get another chance on Sunday to bounce back.

Russia are a good side and we got punished. I don’t know if it was inexperience or what, but it was obviously a harsh lesson we need to learn from quickly.

“It’s so frustrating because we do want to build a bit of momentum. We’d all been talking before Moscow about the last four games in the group and building things up.

“All week we worked to come up with a gameplan and everyone felt good again.

“We looked as though we could bring a result home and then 57 or 58 minutes we lose a goal. It’s strange because we felt good. They created a bit in the first half, but we came out and got a foothold in the game.

“That’s just when you need to keep your concentration at its highest and again it’s a set piece.

The gaffer was a bit frustrated about that and we need to learn quickly.

“Is it hurtful? Yes. For a number of reasons. At any level, I don’t like to use a word like embarrassing, but that’s what it feels like, especially towards the end [Russia game] when they were in complete control of the game.

“Also for the gaffer as well who has worked so hard for us and, we feel, has been drilling us really well for the game.

“We’re probably letting him down when it comes to the games right now.

It’s important for us to go again. It was tough on Thursday, but we need to put in a good performance on Sunday.

9. RiquelmeCSC

Reading that article above really annoys me. He is very much like poor me. Okay he does say he shouldn’t have made the tackle however not one apology to the fans for pretty much costing us points?
    Maybe it’s just me but I think what he has said comes across more woe is me than actual regret.

Free the Adblock and Dan Breen like this.
  10. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    * it he's still the best midfielder in Scotland.

11. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't see any point castigating him. Players like Christie will sometimes cross that line but if you take the aggression away he won't be the same player. He's hardly a Morelos and nearly all combative midfielders get sent off occasionally - look at Broony in his early days. Hopefully he will learn from it but even that doesn't mean he'll never get sent off again. I don't really know why it's an issue - sometimes players put in bad tackles and get sent off, it's part of the game.

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Note to Neil.

See if he's playing * at the start, take him off.

13. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Looking forward to him scoring a hat trick tonight for Scotland, then posting a picture of his * on Twitter.

14. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Note to Neil, Don't listen yo dildoheid72

Sean Daleer and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I can seriously see Ryan Christie as SPFL Player of the Year this season. Its like he's taken so long to break through into the team that he totally appreciates it and runs his guts out in every game. Gotta admire him. Sent out on loan for two years....stuck in the reserves all that time...yet still persisted until he got a breakthrough. And when he did he grabbed it with both hands. Great player in my opinion.

Rydo1888*, Mickmac and Whoflungdung like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GARY HOLT has slammed the Twitter trolls for the abuse they directed at Celtic star Ryan Christie on social media.

The midfielder closed down his Twitter account after taking pelters for his red card in the Hoops’ shock 2-0 defeat to Livingston a fortnight ago.

That result, coupled with Rangers’ 5-0 thumping of Hamilton later that day, saw Gers go top of the table for the first time in ten months.

Livi boss Holt had revealed he was stunned by the criticism aimed at Scotland midfielder Christie

Holt said: “Ryan’s a young lad learning the game. He has massive potential and is a star in the making, if not so already.

“He mistimed a tackle and he’s getting castigated for it.

I’ve got social media. Do I use it? Not really.

“It’s brutal and people don’t understand the effect it has. I’ve got kids and my kids read it.

But it’s the nature of the beast. That’s what you have got to accept when you agree to sign up to these things. You are going to get that.

“Not everybody is going to blow smoke up your backside. Do I agree with that? No, I don’t. I think it’s totally unjust.

It’s totally changed and you can’t do anything now. I still do, because it doesn’t bother me. I’ll give as good as I get.

“But I don’t take myself too seriously, to an extent. Maybe that’s what helps me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m serious in my job.

“I’m serious about how the club does, about being the focal point of the club and how this club is vitally important to me.

Me? I’m just a dad, a dad with weans who say I’m rubbish. It keeps things in reality for me. Social media is there now and it’s not going to go away.

“There are people who have signed up for it and made it a big platform. It’s the way the world is going.

“So if you don’t want to be open to getting severe abuse, which I don’t think you’d merit, don’t sign up for it.”

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    2 game break should stand to him going forward.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    A definite negative in to a positive..

Will be missed for the sheep away but should be firing for Lazio next week..

He would've played in every game so with his running, he/we'll benefit with a couple of game's off..

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RC: “I’m delighted to be back. I was very disappointed with the red card, to let everyone down. The only shining light of the two-game suspension was having this in between.

RC: “I’m really looking forward to it. Hopefully get back on the pitch and the magnitude of the match as well. It’s a brilliant tie for everybody. We are looking to win.

RC: “Hopefully if we get a result then we’ve had a very good start to this group. Our ambition is to be playing European football after Christmas and to do that we need to win all our matches at home no matter the opposition.”

RC: “We are very positive going into the game. One of the reasons you sign for Celtic is to play in games like this so we are certainly looking forward to having all the fans behind us and taking the game to Lazio.”

RC: “You want to test yourself against the best players in the world and Lazio certainly have big players. This is why you want to play in big European games for Celtic, because you get to test yourself against quality players.

tarboltontim likes this.