1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ddub11

Why not mention the games we didnt score 3/4 goals?my point is performance wise in my opinion in the league we are not consistant .
    Yes when we score 3/4 goals its great but we have scored 3 or more goals in half our games while the others have been less and you know how our last two have gone.
    My point is league wise we seem inconsistant as you yourself has pointed out we have had some impressive performances with plenty of goals and then we go out two domestic games in a row and struggle.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I meant we averaged 3/4 goals a game. You were talking about consistency to start with. Are you now changing this to the last 2 league performances weren't good enough ? If so fair enough, however you could have just said that to start with.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL Lennon said a combination of poor decision-making and going a man down was behind Celtic’s 2-0 defeat to Livingston, adding that he had expected more from his side.

Celtic arrived at the Tony Macaroni Stadium less than 72 hours on from their 2-0 win over Cluj in the Europa League, but the Hoops failed to replicate their impressive performance from midweek as they fell to a 2-0 defeat to Livingston.

The home side were given an advantage midway through the first half when Ryan Christie was sent off for a mis-timed challenge on Scott Robinson.

Neil Lennon said he was reasonably pleased with how his side had started the game but conceded that the sending off and defensive errors proved decisive.

“It’s a poor result," he said. "I thought we started the game okay. We were quite bright, had good tempo and were intense. We lost Ryan very early and had to readjust. We were okay going into half-time and I thought we could go on and win it.

“It was really passive from us for the first goal. We were trying to force the issue with 10 men and were putting a certain amount of pressure on the goal without really working the goalkeeper enough.

“Our decision-making at times wasn’t great and then the second goal was really poor from our point of view, we should be dealing with that.

“For the first goal it was too easy for us to get turned and play a through ball. We should have been up on that and make him go back the way. That’s a facet of our play that we work on and are quite aggressive around our own box so that was disappointing.

“We tried to force the issue, had good pressure and I felt we would eventually get one. The second goal put a huge dent in that and it was a poor goal. It was a straight ball over the top between the two centre-halves. It was a great finish but Dykes should never get in that position.”

The Celtic manager said he anticipated a difficult afternoon coming into the game but added he expected more from his players.

“We put a lot into Thursday and then we had to play a long time with 10 men as well so that might have come into it,” said the Irishman. “I was hoping for a bit of a reaction from the subs as well but they didn’t really affect the game as well as we would have liked.

“I thought we started well, looked lively and had a couple of chances early on. We had decent control of the game up until the red card.”

“I’m expecting better. I said to them before the game that this game was a concern. It’s a dangerous opponent and dangerous environment with an opponent who would be up for it so we had to match that.”

4. ddub11

you said when we were scoring 3/4 goals,nor averaged.Our average is 2.75 goals per game not 3/4.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Got it wrong today .. seemed stumped and the substitutions were ridiculous.

Forrest being hooked for Bayo made zero sense.

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It’s worrying that Lennon still is not learning with starting line ups, formation and subs.

We have a big enough squad for rotating players around, dropping 5 points in the last two games is dire.

People can go on about aye we beat them but if we are dropping needless points to dross we will end up handing them the league.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Forrest was having a poor game so I wasn’t surprised to see him hooked.

thailandceltic and JC Anton like this.
  8. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    Definitely need to start rotating the squad more !!

9. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Looks like we finally have a challenge this season so Lenny and the team better get their fingers out and start earning their money .

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye would have reseted both he and McGregor..

He must use the squad better and hasn’t learned how to play them there.. no point playing wide players in that surface they nullify them easily..

Had to be a diamond with two up top and press the life out of them through the middle.. said it in the OP of the match thread..

Something like this v Livi away or Killie away.

Forster
    Bauer Elhamed Jullien Bolingoli
    Brown
    Christie Ntcham
    Elyonoussi
    Bayo Edouard

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Neil Lennon said hes 'not going to whip the players for the performance today', well hes going to have to have a serious word with Jullien who was seriously rattled by the physicality of the Livvy centre forward Lyndon Dykes. Jullien is going to have to 'man up' when playing away from Celtic Park in the SPL because he will become a target for other centre forwards if he gains a reputation for being a soft touch. He will have learned a valuable lesson about Scottish Football today, lets hope he doesnt let it happen again.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Definitely wasn’t a soft touch, just didn’t play that well..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  13. wulliebad

needs to start resting players,no point in playing the same 11 all the time...we have a squad for a reason.
    We wont be the last team to struggle to play football on that joke of a pitch.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Jullien was rattled by their attackers tbh. He let them get to him.

Keano88, moravcik1888 and Artorias like this.
  15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He didnt play well because he was roughed up by Lyndon Dykes. The expression on his face at the end of the game said it all, he was visibly upset. He was rattled and put off his game by the physicality of Lyndon Dykes, that was pretty clear for all to see. He will have to show more physical and more importantly mental strength when coming up against centre forwards like that in Scotland when playing away from Celtic Park.

Artorias likes this.
  16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Was really disappointed to see that. Glad of the passion but I wouldn't have given them the satisfaction of knowing I was raging. He was being wrestled a lot tbf.

17. joemc

Was saying exactly the same thing today , no Parisian penthouse game today, straight into a possil scheme of a game and he didnt like the neighbourhood .

18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    100%.

19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    haha thats a good way to put it and very true.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Subs were spot on. Maybe Elyounoussi off instead of Forrest but the wide man off and striker on was correct thing to do. Brown off for Ntcham was also correct.

StPauli1916 likes this.