1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Rennes v Celtic Thursday 19th September 17:55 KO BT Sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 14, 2019.

Discuss Rennes v Celtic Thursday 19th September 17:55 KO BT Sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celts67

Big Mbombo been quality last 2 gams domestically but for me similar to staring MvGregor at left bac a risk iin Europe I fear a quality winger will do him .

2. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've only seen Taylor in a few matches for Kilmarnock (including that red card against Barton LOL), so I can't yet judge his defensive capabilities within Celtic's style of play. In the video posted above, he (like Bolingoli) seems to like getting forward - and I don't see any standout evidence of defensive capabilities in those clips.

Bolingoli is getting settled, and I think we're pretty confident on the rest of the backline. With that, I'd hesitate on shaking that up in an away game in Europe. Taylor gets the bench for me (and should then play the next match against Kilmarnock at home :101: ).

As tired as McGregor looks lately, I can't see him not playing this match. If he plays, then he should definitely be rested in our next home match. Ntcham is going to have a point to prove though, so I'd make McGregor the first sub off if nothing crazy happens in the game.

Otherwise, I think we keep our current formation.

3. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Would be delighted with a point, think we can beat them at home, but it’s a massive ask away. 1-1

paulie67 likes this.
  4. celts67

5. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Think I'd go 4 - 5 - 1

Forster
    Elhamed - Ajer - Julien - Bolingoli
    Forest - Brown - Ntcham - McGregor - Christie
    Eddy​

6. jamiebhoy67

I.would actually.drop McGregor wee mans due a rest and play elyanoussi out left Taylor made for these games

Raoul Duke and Whoflungdung like this.
  7. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Was thinking that too, but McGregor has the quality to make a real impact in a game like this. Think you've got to try and get him and Ntcham in the midfield.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Calmac is a seasoned European performer, just like Forrest. Not a chance he’s dropped unless he’s carrying something.

Lilac Wine, JC Anton, Tommy25 and 2 others like this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye I wouldn't be against dropping McGregor for Ntcham. Think he's been off his game for a wee while and could do with a rest.

10. joemc

He isn't off his game ,scored a few recently ,was marked heavily against Hamilton as he is along with broony the amo to most of our attacking play starting ,had no time on the ball and like broony recently ,being tackled as the ball was coming to them .

Whoflungdung likes this.
  11. jamiebhoy67

Yes but that takes a toll aswell getting a kick every game he plays he was one of our top.performers and I think we could benefit from him taking a seat on the bench hes earned it let ntcham loose on a side that will suit his game imo bring McGregor back in Sunday to cure the euro hangover

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is what I’d go with

Dan Breen likes this.
  13. Lewis Kerr

Aye it’s the only team for me

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed I would be delighted if we were able to get a point in this one on Thursday.

15. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be a tough night for the fullbacks I reckon, they seem to rely on play out wide.

16. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    They don't tend to give away alot of goals, if we're winning it then it'll be by 1.

17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't know anything about them

Get them pumped :yeah:

StPauli1916, paulie67 and Rydo1888* like this.
  18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Get right ripped into them!!!!

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FRANCE-BASED Simon Stainrod has told Celtic not to be fooled by Rennes’ win over PSG — and believes Neil Lennon’s men CAN take something from tomorrow’s Europa League opener.

Former Dundee boss Stainrod, now working as an agent across the Channel, insists Rennes are nothing to be feared.

Julien Stephan’s side are currently second in the French league after an eye-catching win over Paris Saint-Germain on August 18.

But since then they’ve lost at home to Nice and drawn the Brittany derby with Brest — and Stainrod insists they’re not among the top French teams.

He said: “If Celtic were playing Lille or Lyon or PSG, I’d say those would be dangerous places for them to go. But Rennes? Not really.

“They are a good side but not a great one. They finished last season in mid-table and qualified for the Europa League because they won the French Cup. Mid-table is about right for them.

“They were actually a better side last season. Two of their best players are no longer playing — Benjamin Andre, who’s a clever midfielder, went to Lille, while Hatem Ben Arfa seems to have fallen out of favour.

“Without Ben Arfa I suspect they will struggle. He was the one who gave them something different

Their best players now are the full-back Hamari Traore, who’s had a few Premier League clubs looking at him. He’s a danger and will bomb up and down all day.

“And they have a young lad up front, Theoson Siebatcheu, who they got from Reims. Again, he’s okay but not top level.

They’ve also just signed a winger, Raphinha, from Sporting Lisbon.

“Yes, they won against PSG but I wouldn’t read too much into that as PSG were without Neymar.

PSG have the odd bad result because they play most of their domestic games at 70 per cent. They know they’re going to be good enough to finish top come the end of the season.

“In that sense, it’s a bit like Manchester City losing to Norwich at the weekend.

“If Celtic play well, I don’t see why they shouldn’t go back with a point. I certainly don’t think they have anything to worry abou

The danger will be if Rennes go in front. They are organised and know how to win a game when they’re ahead.

“They also have real speed, particularly in wide areas, which is something that Celtic won’t face too often in Scotland.”

Rennes have a fitness doubt over last season’s top scorer M’Baye Niang.

The Senegalese hitman is a player who Stainrod knows well.

He added: “I had him as a client a few years ago and he almost went to Everton when he was a kid at Caen.

He would have been a free. Davie Moyes was very keen and they had him over for a week.

“They liked him but I think the problem they had was that they’d had bad experiences with previous Senegalese players and, in the end, they felt it was a risk with a young player.

“I had him up at Newcastle as well, but that move fell apart because the lawyer on his side tried to change the terms of the deal and Newcastle backed off.

He went to AC Milan instead and has had a few loan moves.

“He is strong and intelligent and knows how to play the position, but for me he doesn’t score enough goals.

“In saying that, I’d have him before Ismaila Sarr, who they sold to Watford for £30m recently.”

Tommy25 and tarboltontim like this.
  20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Forster

Bauer Jullien Ajer Bolingoli

Brown Ntcham

Forrest Christie Elyounoussi

Edouard
    I think Bauer long throws could be very useful in away games in Europe. Elhamed Eltim has done nothing wrong but I just think it could work better for us imo