1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Rennes v Celtic Thursday 19th September 17:55 KO BT Sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 14, 2019.

Discuss Rennes v Celtic Thursday 19th September 17:55 KO BT Sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Sarr has left them since. He was the main one I think.

2. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Ah deadly thats a huge let off for us, wont be anywhere near the same side.

3. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I'd go with the same team as v Hamilton.

And I'd be giving Ntcham a good run out at some point too.

4. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Betting suggest a 1-1 score draw and 3 -1 home win at Parkhead........

5. ANTOINE PAILLUSSON

Fav Celtic Player:
    Je
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé
    Good afternoon to every bhoys fans here and nice to meet you again in Europe this season. It’s always a pleasure to play against Celtic especially knowing that we share a common celtic ancestry. I’m a Rennes fan and I’m really looking forward for Thursday game. I’ll be in the stands with my dad as always and of course I’m hoping to see a victory.

I know it will be tough for us and it may be a tight game. Our two clubs just can’t be compared in terms of honours. Your club has always been and is currently an impressive winning machine. Every football fan knows that your club is a monument in football history. Despite ours is 118 years old and one of the most regular in the french top flight, we have only won 3 cups (the last one in May against PSG after an epic final) and two second division titles in total.

For two years now we’ve done great work here in Rennes after a couple of boring seasons, finishing 5th in 2018 and winning the french cup for the first time in 47 years, allowing us to qualify for the group stage of EL two times in a row. We’ve experienced some amazing moments in this competition a few months ago, especially against Real Betis and the first leg against Arsenal in a melting Roazhon Park.

Our season start has been great so far. It was unexpected as many of our main players left the club this summer (Ben Arfa, Bensebaini to Moenchengladbach, Sarr to Watford for 35M pounds, Club captain André to Lille, Mexer, our goalkeeper Koubek..) or were not back yet from national duty (Niang and Traoré). We’ve bought Raphinha from Sporting for a club record fee of 20M euros on august 31th and he’s shown greats skills against Brest on Saturday. With a bit of luck we could have won the last two games against Nice and Brest, but in both controversial VAR decisions prevented from scoring.

Since the start of the season, Julien Stephan has successfully used a new 3-5-2 formation. We the fans are now expecting it to change to a 4-3-3 formation considering the adding of Raphinha who’s better on the side of the front row and also that we were pretty inoffensive against Brest two days ago.

Niang was left home this week-end in prevision of the game against you. He may be fit to play according to last echos here.

Potential 4-3-3 starting eleven for Thursday : Mendy - H. Traoré, Da Silva (cap), Gélin (or Morel), Maouassa - Grenier, Martin (or Camavinga), Bourigeaud - Raphinha, Niang, Tait.

Or 3-5-2 as we’ve seen so far this season : Mendy - Da Silva (cap), Gélin, Morel - H. Traoré, Grenier, Martin (or Camavinga), Bourigeaud, Maouassa - Raphinha, Niang.

I’ve watched some of your games last season and this summer. Your club captain Scott Brown has always been special to me and I think Christie is currently pretty impressive. Celtic is followed by french football addicts here in France especially with the good performances of your frenchies Dembélé, Weah, Ntcham, Edouard… Are you satisfied with Christopher Jullien so far ? According to me he was far from being one of the best defenders in french football.

PS : I apologise in advance for my english mistakes, it’s not my native language and I hope you still can understand me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Would take a draw all day long.

7. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Your english is better than a lot of guys on here mate !!

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Rumours are niang could be out, how do you feel that would effect your attacking options if true?
    Jullien most think is decent. Scottish football is quite physical and a big lump is useful in this country. His passing is not bad. He also out jumps players on all crosses and clears well with headers and other teams often hit and hope from crosses and long balls. I don't think £7m is an unfair price, especially in the modern day market.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’d be seriously tempted to try and get Ntcham shoehorned into the side somehow. It must be in his thinking.

Just about every other position now picks itself really, injuries dependent.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome to talkceltic and thanks for an informative post.
    No disrespect, but we look forward to giving you a whipping on Thursday. Here's hoping for good football.

ANTOINE PAILLUSSON likes this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I'd be starting ntcham over Christie or mcgregor in this game I would think

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mangetout, Antoine, mangetout.

bagforlife likes this.
  13. ANTOINE PAILLUSSON

Fav Celtic Player:
    Je
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé
    Since january Mbaye Niang is on fire. He's tall, aggressive, and he's scored some stunners from long range shots. His success has surprised everybody here after a poor first season half and he's now became our main offensive asset. He's able to struggle against strong and physical defenders. For instance he made Marquinhos and Thiago Silva suffered a lot the last two times we faced PSG. His past reputation of a talentuous but unmanageable teenager is now clearly behind him and he's declared many times being blooming in this team. There is no doubt that his absence against Brest two days ago was a hard blow for us. But we are confident that he'll be there on thursday because his injury didn't seem to be that serious :86:

We've dicovered our new brazilian Raphinha for his first game this week-end and honestly it was very promising. I am really looking forward for this game against you. There is really nothing like european football in terms of atmospheres and meetings of others football cultures.

Concerning Jullien, I remember him doing some risky tackles that cost Toulouse a few penalty kicks. But yeah, his height makes him being very good with headers and he has scored many goals on set pieces in Ligue 1. I agree with you, 7 millions pounds seems descent on those days. His partner in Toulouse Issa Diop left for 25 millions for West Ham a year ago..

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Forster
    Elhamed -- Ajer -- Jullien -- Bolingoli

Brown -- McGregor
    Ntcham

Forrest -- Edouard -- Elyonoussi
    Would really like Ntcham to play. Think his range of passing and composure could be key. And being back on home soil he will be eager to impress.

15. ANTOINE PAILLUSSON

Fav Celtic Player:
    Je
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé
    At first sight the level of our Europa league group seems pretty homogeneous. It's promising and even Cluj could plays its cards right. Hope that you'll be able to avenge yourself for what happened against them a month ago!

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He did that against Cluj :fear:

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Definitely not at the expense of shifting Calmac to left back this time!

I'd play him with Broony and Calmac in some way, probably Oli the furthest forward of the 3.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  18. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Hopefully Lennies learned not to shift Calmac to left back ?

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Forster
    Elhamed -- Ajer -- Jullien -- Bolingoli

Brown -- christie
    Ntcham

Forrest -- Edouard -- johnston

McGregor's looked knackerd recently

20. Blochairnbhoy