1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Friends / Affiliates of Celtic F.C.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Von_Esper, Sep 6, 2019.

Discuss Friends / Affiliates of Celtic F.C. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Borussia Dortmund. Always loved them.

Remember a crowd of them coming over for CL game against Rangers and a fair few going to the Celtic game.

paulm25 likes this.
  2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Does anyone know if there are links with QPR? I was down London some years ago and went into a QPR bar and they had Celtic strips up behind the bar as well as QPR ones

3. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Floriana in Malta. Not sure if we still have any connection, but they like us. Think we went over there way back (maybe the 60s) and they decided to change their kit to green and white because of the visit.

4. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Do they have a similar history to us heard it was a priest who founded QPR

5. shieldsybhoy

Are we mates with Barca? Our games against them recently have been quite feisty. Same as PSG but I guess both are as a result of Neymar. Obvious link but I took a tour of the St.Pauli stadium a few years ago and you can buy Celtic scarves and other small bits of merch in the club shop. Also took a tour of the San Mames in Bilbao last month wearing my Celtic top and the tour guide loved me. I guess it was soon after the McNeill awards they gave to him. I believe we also opened their new stadium. I never knew the independence movement there was as big as it was and there are definitely similarities in terms of the heritage of both clubs. They are now my 'Spanish' team, although they wouldn't like me calling them Spanish. Beautiful stadium and a great museum. Would not recommend the city though...

6. simpy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson,charlie nicklas(1st season)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Cliftonville, the Celtic in the North of Ireland

7. Paul McAuley

Villarreal had about 50 of them over for a function in Dingwall set up by the Highland Hoops CSC.

8. superhans

I think the qpr one is more to do with its location in London, a good chunk of their fans are of Irish decent, especially since it's the closest football club to Kilburn.

StPauli1916 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lot of Irish in that part of London. Where their catchment area's are also..

I'd say they have a big Irish descent support, most definitely..

O'Donoghue's on Goldhawk Road used to be a Celtic pub. Uxbridge Road had a few as well..

Creativecelt and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Literally just pipped me to it :50:

11. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    "Celtic de Pulianas"

How Celtic inspired a Spanish town to set up a football team in their honour

Celtic de Pulianas play in the Andalucian Division of Honour in hooped jerseys in a stadium with a stand resembling a mini version of Celtic Park's North Stand.

You would think that with Celtic being Celtic, they would be the only football team that would afford themselves the right to have the word emblazoned on the seats of one of their stands.

But you’d be wrong.

For, over 2000 kilometres away in the small town of Pulianas near Granada in southern Spain, another stadium exists that bears the Celtic name across its seats in white against a green background.

The Estadio Municipal de Futbol Antonio Ballesteros, stadium belongs to * side Celtic de Pulianas, who play in the Andalucian Division of Honour in Spain's fifth tier.

While not even remotely near the size of Celtic Park with a capacity for 1500 (500 seated and 1000 standing) spectators, the stadium feels big when you consider the population of the town it is based in is only around 5300.

According to their website, Celtic de Pulianas are the epitome of a ‘local’ club which places football at the heart of the community.

And its a local community that created a modest football project in tribute to "the green and white dream" created by Jock Stein’s European Cup winning side of 1967 - one that sent shockwaves throughout the footballing world.

Records indicate that the club was founded in 1968 under the name ‘Grupo Empresas’, after some local residents gave over a piece of unused land to turn into a pitch, while a local resident’s patio was used as changing facilities for the local players.

With a team formed among local players under the name of ‘Celta’, they soon transformed into ‘Celtic’ through petition of one of the founding members of the club, who serves as the actual president of the club today - a massive Celtic fan.

At present, the team counts nine sides among its set up, going from a team for 5 - 7 year olds through to its senior level side.

And if their name wasn't enough of a hint, there's the club's green and white hooped strips with white shorts and green and white socks - with the club previously haven taken to the field in old 1995-1997 Celtic strips.

While the club also has a green and white crest, and club anthem entitled ‘Mi Celtic Ganara’ (My Celtic will win) that was created back in 2013 by the local school choir to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the club.

====
    source:

====

12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Rydo1888* and paulie67 like this.
  13. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    np's, you're welcome buddy. :celt_2:

tarboltontim likes this.
  14. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Brilliant piece. Thanks for posting. Always good to learn about friends across the world.

Rydo1888* and paulie67 like this.
  15. Belgian_lad

What about Wrexham connection or was that purely only casuals?

16. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yeovil Town.
    They traditionally wore all-green until 2003, when they changed their shirts to green and white hoops in honour of our UEFA Cup run.

Napoli, according to their Wiki (citation provided).

Manchester United.
    One of the names suggested for the team that was formed from the remnants of Newton Heath was Manchester Celtic. Traditionally seen as the 'Irish' club of Manchester, MUFC have long had a reputation for signing Irish players, ensuring a large, loyal fanbase in Ireland.

Celtic have faced United many times, having played each other 34 times in friendlies and testimonials, and 4 times competitively.

Many United fans also bear animosity towards Rangers/Sevco, stemming mainly from a friendly match in 1974, which featured the customary Hun riot.

Another possible reason is the alleged treatment shown to their beloved Alex Ferguson by Rangers, when his marriage to a Catholic was believed to have been too much to bear for many at Ibrox. Fergie has also been consistently vocal in his admiration of and praise for Big Jock.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  17. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Thanks for the info Gil, appreciated.

The whole feckin' world is "Green and White". :celt_2:

18. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Many thanks for this recommendation. This is a thoroughly enjoyable series so far (on episode 4). Wonderful watching something about La Liga without Barca or Real hogging the spotlight! Also great to see the Basque and Catalan focus, too.

Cheers, Minty!

paulie67 and Callum McGregor like this.
  19. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Messina from Sicily

20. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Livorno going into liquidation