1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are ready to make Callum McGregor one of their top earners in a bid to fend off interest from Europe’s elite clubs, Football Insider has learned.

The versatile midfielder, 26, has attracted interest from Premier League and leading clubs on the Continent after establishing himself as one of the outstanding players in Scotland in recent seasons.

A Celtic source has told Football Insider that the club are willing to offer McGregor a pay hike lifting him to the £35,000-a-week mark to reward him for his consistently outstanding performances.

The Scottish champions rebuffed strong interest in their academy product from Leicester City in the summer window, with his former boss Brendan Rodgers eager to take him south of the border.

The 2016 Premier League champions came back in for McGregor on English deadline day after initially being knocked back in July.

Hoops manager Neil Lennon subsequently admitted that the Scotland international was too influential in his side to be allowed to leave, although he recognised the player’s head had been turned.

Leicester were willing to pay between £15million and £20million for McGregor, who signed a new contract only last December that runs until the summer of 2023.

Celtic are aware of interest in the midfielder and are keen to make progress in keeping him ahead of the winter transfer window by opening talks on an improved agreement.

McGregor has made 236 appearances in total for his boyhood club, 59 of which came last season, and is also establishing himself as a key player for the Scotland national team.

paulie67, Seán Mac D and Liam Scales like this.
  2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If true it's a clever strategy. It's all well and good having a wage cap but giving a guy like McGregor a pay hike above that 'capped' amount is an absolute no brainer if it means keeping him at the club.

Tommy25, Murph-E, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  3. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    I think we should be looking to increase our cap to about 40k and possibly 50k for edouard when he extends next season.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

As a football club we need to pay the going rate and £35k a week for McGregor is good value for money all things considered.

Sinclair is currently being paid that.

5. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    sry to butcher your post...

* does that mean, "the player’s head had been turned".
    Was McGregor contemplating leaving.??

6. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd love to see our club pay bigger wages and certainly think 40k for our top players,
    should not be outside the realms of possibility.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We can just run Sinclair's contract down and pay it to McGregor.........

8. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Was thinking something the same.
    Divvy up sinclairs wages to the rest of the squad, or at least pay some of it to our top earners.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

first ive heard he was targeted in the transfer window, worth the wage rise is one of our best and most consistent players in a crucial area of the park, still has to work on his defensive capabilities but good play by the club here as hes a smashing wee player

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Think it's a stick-on that Sinclair leaves in January, either a 6-month loan deal or a mutual termination. I doubt we'll get any sort of fee for him. We gambled with the extension and it's backfired spectacularly.

Gyp Rosetti and McChiellini.. like this.
  11. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I remember rogers saying that he wanted to take him down south, but i wasn't aware we fended off interest for him
    in the summer.

...and Leceister willing to pay £15-20mil for him is a freaking insult.!!

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

“There was an approach for Callum this week. We knew about it and there’s no more to it. Am I annoyed at the timing of it? No, it’s natural during the window.

“We made it pretty clear that we wanted Callum to stay. He’s an important player here. We want him to continue in the same vein as the last two or three seasons.

“I had a chat with Callum on Friday morning and he’s absolutely fine about it. Your mind does start to wander in those circumstances, that’s only natural, but now the window is shut he is fully focused on what he has to do here.

“Callum is level-headed. He’s another one who has come through the system and we are very proud of that.

“He’s an outstanding player and professional – and we made it clear we couldn’t do without him. He can play in various midfield positions. There is so much quality to the way he plays. His football intelligence is very high, his quality has got better and he’s in great shape. Callum’s fitness levels are amazing considering how much football he has played.

“Callum is still here and the English Premier League transfer window is shut. Clubs from other countries might show interest in some of our players, but as far as we are concerned our important players are not for sale. Callum certainly comes into that bracket.”

paulie67 likes this.
  13. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hear.! hear.! well said.

I like to hear things of this nature when it comes to our players.
    Obviously not the interest part from other clubs, 'cos that just puts the fear of death into me.

14. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    If its going to protect us from a financial point fine, but for me this calendar year he's been average with the odd few performances.

Him and Rogic (my fav) have been poor since the turn of this year and most definitely since BR left.

Christie and Forrest have not dropped their form since the change of manager but CM and TR are not producing for me (obviously TR is injured for a considerable time).

Actually out of our whole midfield including wingers CM has been the least impressive.

I think there's been a word in the ear from BR and his head has been turned, even though I still haven't forgiven Oli for his * stirring he's been levels way above CM and merits a game more.

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Caught anything yet?

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just an opinion. If you think he's performing to the levels of BR reign then fine, I just don't see it myself.

Personally he seemed along with Forrest the most improved players under BR, I woulda sold him in a flash prior to it, but with such a dramatic improvement he became so valuable. But as I said since this year he's dropped way off for me.

17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Actually out of our whole midfield including wingers CM has been the least impressive.

^^^^^
    That’s what you said. Which is what I definitely disagree with & think you are fishing.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I see Callum is being singled out for a lot of criticism after the Belgium game, he should tell them to ram it and let them play Ryan Jack see how they get on then.

StPauli1916 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I agree with this and I have always been a fan of McGregor. I think he's like our Paul Scholes. But I don't think he's been as effective since we've started playing him deeper. I preferred when he was playing the no 10 position and creating/scoring more goals.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Ask DeBruyne to sit in and defend for 90 minutes with * all around him against a far superior team and see how he gets on.

McGregor isn’t being utilised properly for the national side, same can be said of some games for Celtic which have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Gyp Rosetti and Doogs. like this.