1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s 47 transfer deals worth a staggering £81m over the last year

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 3, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s 47 transfer deals worth a staggering £81m over the last year in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Add the £10m compo for Rodgers and Congerton it’s £64m in and £27m spent so £37m will be used to add cash to bank and cover operating costs think so have spent half is decent but could have done more imo

Murph-E and Metrobhoy like this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Considering it ended up being a window where we didnt qualify for the CL I'm actually happy with what we got.

Like many, it's the timing of the signings that is the problem.

3. Foley26

It’s some amount of deals to be involved in all be it some of these were getting rid of failed transfers or those who haven’t quite made it.

I was looking at Red Bull Salzburg earlier and they must be involved in even more than Celtic. They sold over £75mil of players this summer and spent around £22-25mil in replacements. That included selling the core of their team main striker, midfielders and full back. They also seemed to short change themselves on a few too when looking at their sales.

However they sign so many young players from Africa and Europe (mainly lesser leagues in Scandinavia, Hungry and Slovakia etc) as well as a few from Asia. Then either put them out too Leffering FC (their feeder team in second tier) or loan elsewhere for experience.

Then when they sell their first team stars a good number of these guys are ready to come in. They support this with a few more expensive purchases of promising players such as Haaland. This model seems to work well for them as when I saw who they had sold so many I thought surely they will be weaker this season but when you see how they have started their season it doesn’t seem so.

Now I realise they benefit from Red Bull backing but it must a real top drawer scouting network and coaching structure they have to pull this off and keep finding talent for so cheap that they can develop. Also do they benefit from an easier access to work permits that allows them to sign so many African, Asian players are going to play 2nd tier football out on loan?