1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pogues

That's just speculation though mate. As far as I know Rodgers didn't blame the board for his departure.

2. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Rodgers was a rat who * us over at the first opportunity following Lawwell not forking out for McGinn and selling Dembele on deadline day.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Rodgers is clearly responsible for the Dembele debacle. The man himself confirmed it.

Crilly likes this.
  4. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Never said he wasn't. Doesn't change the fact that Lawwell sold Dembele on deadline day leaving Rodgers furious without a replacement. Coupled with the McGinn situtation I've no doubt that Rodgers decided at that point that he would leave us at the next decent opportunity.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

How can Lawwell be responsible for Rodgers filling Dembeles head with far east riches and him wanting away when Rodgers realised he wasn't going wanted to keep Dembele instead?

There is plenty to level at Lawwell but the Dembele fiasco isn't one of them.

Pogues and Gabriel like this.
  6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

#First opportunity #

kramer1 likes this.
  7. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Perception is reality and for Rodgers, who is a deluded and arrogant rat, he was clearly * off at Demebele being sold on deadline day - regardless of whether his own actions caused the debacle (which they did).

Btw, I'm not blaming Lawwell for selling Dembele, never have. I'm outlining what I believe to be Rodgers' opinion.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Far from it being reduced, I don't think anyone would have decried him leaving with a treble treble and a parting shot at the way the club is run.

He played right into Lawwells hands.

9. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Rodgers is a narcissist imo!! Nobody was backing down in that battle and the club paid the price. Rodgers caused the moose but lawwell * up big time with Mcginn!! Lawwell must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when the rat * off!! In 19 years of chief executive it's very few times that lawwell's come out out looking the bad guy, especially in the eyes of those who really matter. Master politician that guy. Goes both for and against us tbh.

10. murphy88

Our board still allowed our best player to leave without a replacement after being forced to cash in to make up for not qualifying for the Champions League, due to the board not investing in the team. When we were knocked out by AEK, the board must have knew Dembele was getting sold. They waited until it was impossible for us to bring in someone to replace him.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Lenny having a dig at the bigots from Ibrox, saying they won't be able to help themselves tomorrow, thereby guaranteeing they target the manager tomorrow. :giggle1:

Top top trolling Neil.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THERE is very little Neil Lennon can do, he concedes, to prepare those among his squad who have yet to experience an Old Firm fixture for what lies ahead at Ibrox this afternoon.

The likes of Boli Bolingoli and Christopher Jullien are likely to face Rangers for the first time in a Celticjersey today, and Lennon will be telling his new men what his old Celtic manager Martin O’Neill told him before his own Old Firm debut.

“I remember Martin telling me it was a blur,” Lennon said.

My first one was the League Cup semi-final at Hampden and the first 45 minutes were a blur.

“The good thing about it was we played the corresponding league game three days later, so you were better prepared for it.

“You have to try and take it all in very quickly and then try and concentrate on the game. You can pass on your experiences but each individual player will experience it in their own way.

“[Some players have been overwhelmed] and that is understandable because it is a cacophony of noise. It is high octane and it is competitive and I want us to be competitive on Sunday.

“We have got good players and guys with a lot of experience of the fixture who can help the others who are making the debuts in it.”

Martin O’Neill famously walked Lennon over to the huge Celtic support in the Broomloan Road Stand after one particularly fiery derby at Ibrox, but there will be far fewer of their number in attendance today with the reduced allowance of around 800 tickets still in place from last season.

Lennon hopes that the two clubs can come to an agreement to revert back to the traditional larger away supports at both Celtic Park and Ibrox as he feels the new arrangement detracts from the fixture, but he has challenged his players to put the lack of support for them today out of their minds.

“It is a great fixture but I think a bit of the shine has been taken off it with so little away fans present – for both teams,” he said. “I think has taken a bit of the atmosphere away, at Celtic Park and at Ibrox.

Some of these guys won’t have experienced the double stand behind the goal either.

“Maybe it affects them, I don’t know. We will only have 6-800 fans there which is a shame, but it is the same at Celtic Park now and I think the powers that be should look at it and let more away fans in.

“We can go over to a very small section. It is difficult to hear them because they are outnumbered by a lot, but we have to forget about that now. Accept it and get on with the game and play as strongly as we can.

“Fans don’t win games, players do, and we have to match up and be far more competitive than we were the last time that we were there.”

One thing that is certain today is that Celtic won’t be going to Ibrox to park the bus. It’s simply not in the make-up of Lennon’s team to look to frustrate the opposition.

Instead, he is banking on the firepower that saw his team smash four past AIK in Stockholm on Thursday night to outgun the Rangers attack and deliver a massive win.

“It would be folly to try to change things in two days,” he said. “We have players who want to hurt teams. Our front four in Stockholm were spectacular at times and defensively we were looking a bit better, although it's a work in progress.

“We've brought in a goalkeeper who may figure, and that will hopefully bolster us as well.

“And Leigh Griffiths is ready to play if needed. He was on the bench in midweek and he asked to play an hour on Monday which was pleasing, because he wanted to do it.

And again with the goals we’re scoring, it might have to be a show of patience from him, But he’s a great sub to have, and he revels in the occasion.

“The last eight years have been great for Celtic and we want to continue in the same vein.

“I understand why neutrals would want to see a changing of the guard, so to speak, but our incentive is to go for nine and try to improve every aspect we can in the football department.”

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    *, I hope I'm wrong here, but why is Broony being asked to play 3 high-pressure games in a week again? I don't think he can do that anymore. Really worried this is a big mistake. Actually 4 games in 10 days, the full 90 each time. It's madness.

Folk will know I don't criticise Lenny lightly, but I just don't get the reasoning? Do Lenny. Kennedy and the sports science staff think the physiological effects of aging don't apply to Broony or something? Didn't Cluj teach us anything? Rhetorical questions, I know they are much more professional than that. Still, I'm worried.

I really hope I'm wrong.

14. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Agree, I thought he'd have been rested during the week and then play today.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Purely because we have zero bite in midfield without him. Christie will put a good challenge in but no one does broonies job better. Plus looking at our defensive options he might end up a CB by the end :56:

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    If we are talking about the three games then I think last Sunday was the one for me when he would have been missed the least. If we had conceded first on Thursday his influence may have been needed. Having said that once we had scored the second he could have been rested. However folk have said that about most of the team now and we could only make 3 subs. (2 after Ajer went off.)

Random Review likes this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Are you surprised he is playing today though mate or at the fact he has played three games in a week ? After he played the first two did you not expect him to play today ?

Random Review likes this.
  18. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I think he has looked slow and lethargic most of this season so far, the games are passing him by mostly, I don't know if it's tiredness or just getting old, but hopefully he steps up this game and gets back to his best.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Like you, I was surprised he played last Sunday, that's the one I'd have rested him for. At that point, Lenny has a choice: AIK or Rangers. Given the score from the first leg, I'd have rested him against AIK and played him today, so I was surprised he played on Thursday. At that point, I assumed Lenny had prioritised Europe and that he'd miss today.

To see him start today flabbergasts me, mate. It's not just that he is being asked to play 4 games in 10 days at 34, it's that he was kept on the full 90 minutes for all of them.

I really hope I'm wrong. I'm very happy with the job Lenny's doing and think he's the right man for the job no matter what happens today; but if Broony has another Cluj today and it costs us, it's Broony I'll be defending and not Lenny.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I agree entirely about him playing the three games. In terms of today though I would have been very surprised had he not played tbh. If we had bought a replacement or someone to compete with him then fair enough. I just don't think we have. The midfield is obviously key, however if Broonie hadn't played and we lose it and let them bully us plenty of folk ( not yourself obviously) would be saying why didn't we play Broonie !? :giggle1: