1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

Is it only popular people who make valid points?

Random Review and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  2. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Not convinced on police wading in, standard heavy handed tactics even if there was a what looked like minor altercation.

The ones who lit the flares though...permanent ban please!

3. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    Of course.

4. apevrak

Probably been mentioned earlier, but these baton wielding * were not real polis. These * are trained by the local polis to handle crowds in public space. They've become notorious in Stockholm for going in heavy handed and beating everyone that's unlucky to be in their way. Earlier this season they even knocked AIK's SLO with a baton.

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Sounds like the criminal wing of the police. And who is it going to attract? Gangsters and rich people who can see a paid for police service working specifically to cover their backs. Great I suppose on the old rivalry between teams and you go to Police a rivals game. Say a wee bigoted club in Edinburgh or Glasgow. They’d get smashed for standing on my gleaming white Stan Smiths.
    :74::74::74::74::74::74::74::74:

The67Sound and apevrak like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Irish Republic

I have to say this is a first for me of all the strange stuff I've read on the internet. A football fan who values his financial contribution to his football club more than he values his fellow supporters who follow their club everywhere. A very strange sense of superiority which would be more appropriate in the Celtic boardroom with all the other knobs

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye I know imagine me, or any supporter, being hacked off because we will potentially get hit with a fine simply because some wee fuds want to set off flares

Tell you what perhaps those, like you, who like the flares so much could set up a collection to raise whatever fine we get ... Counting you that's at least four of you to get the ball rolling ... Let me know how you get on :50:

Ps the knobs certainly aren't only restricted to the boardroom it seems :giggle1:

Pogues likes this.
  9. apevrak

Oskar Månsson: A baton strike must always be a last resort

OSKAR MÅNSSON

Editor-in-Chief and founder of Fotboll Sthlm

August 30, 2019

BLOG. Some thoughts on the turmoil at AIK's playoff match and why it's high time for the investigation.

Two guards strike 15 hard blows to the spectators.

What else happens on the two-minute film clip from Celtic supporter Michael McCahill is harder to see. But that sad, unworthy scenes are beyond doubt. I don't know how extensive the injuries were, but receiving baton shots from adrenaline-fueled men is no game.

What did the guards get out of their actions? Nothing.

What did they create? Chaos and danger, headlines and notifications.

The reason why the security guards went up to the stands was, according to the police , that a burnt Bengal was thrown in the head of a person from the security personnel. If so, there is nothing to relativize, it is even a criminal act and the culprit should be prosecuted. But in response, confronting the collective in that way seems a little insane.

The fact that I am critical of the police's terms and conditions, both the premise for it and its application, has no one missed reading my blogs during the year. But the most provocative is the directives from the police to go up to the stand in case of disturbances of order . Because, as I said, these are insanely crazy and obviously dangerous instructions. After all, since the police and security personnel have mostly failed to act in that way - which, according to the directives, should really be done in each and every match - the situation has not, after all, been traced to the football arenas during the summer. But on the few occasions that guards and police have been about to break into the stands, it has become uneasy, for example at the May matches Helsingborg-AIK and Djurgården-Östersund. Fortunately, no people were seriously injured at those times, either by staff or bystanders, but the situations were about to become critical.

I also think it is high time to review who is allowed to work on the matches. Professor and police researcher Stefan Holgersson has noted in his studies that a few police officers account for a large number of reports of abuse . The same goes for reasonable security guards where some handle the sometimes difficult situations in a football context well, while others are not suitable for working in such circumstances. For example, the two glasses-adorned men who weave with the batons on the film seem to belong in the latter category.

"Not sure what the problem is but Clearly see Police start this with Batons for what looks like no reason here. Forcing Celtic fans to back into a fence. This needs a thorough investigation @CelticFCSLO"

I have been informed that the dialogue between the football movement and the police has resumed at a strategic level at the end. That's a good little sign, because the situation is basically no better than it was last spring when the debate raged at its worst. The conditional staircase and the counter-productive directives still remain, despite criticism. When my colleague Simon Pålsson spoke to the police spokesperson yesterday, it sounded as it usually does: clear descriptions of what the supporter / supporters have done but no comment on the other side's behavior. The film (which was thus two minutes long) in normal order also failed to comment.

Thus, all problems remain, and it is high time to come forward with a solution-oriented dialogue. In the supporter movement, the investigation should always be high on the agenda, and immediate order of focus is required to improve the situation. Identifying and prosecuting individuals who misbehave should be a priority one, two and three instead of collective punishments and provocations.

But above all, police and guards must stop beating. Safety must always go first. In any case, baton strikes must be a last resort.

Finally: After the match , a Celtic press spokesman told Scottish newspapers that Hammarby supporters had infiltrated the away section which would be a cause for the unrest. If there is any truth to that claim, I can't decide right now, but that Celtic accuses AIK of having sold tickets to Swedes to the away country sounds unreasonable. It is the away team that is responsible for the sales to its section at European cup matches.

Marie likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So are we contributors or supporters now?

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

What a bizarre question - Obviously a supporter will be a contributor.

12. Irish Republic

I'm sure it could be easily done the same way the fine for flying Palestinian flags were raised. You must have been seething when we got that fine.

I don't have an issue with people who don't like flares as there are various reasons for that. I have an issue with supporters who think they are better than others because of their financial contribution to the club and seem to get their knickers in a twist over the clubs finance

StPauli1916 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Naw bizarre is having an ex hooligan that ran about with Aberdeen having the temerity to pull Celtic fans up for certain actions. Hypocrisy at its finest.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If it happened, whoever threw a burnt firework onto the head of steward deserved a beating to be blunt. But even assuming security were telling the truth, to deliver a beating with batons (a) without evidence of who the culprit was and (b) indiscriminately to anyone in the section who happened to be close is not only scumbag behaviour, it's also every bit as criminal as the action of the idiot who threw the firework.

I think it's important to know if this incident of throwing the firework on a steward's head really happened. In general, I'm like @StPauli1916 regarding fireworks: I don't particularly like fireworks at the game; but I fear a slippery slope and the way football and government bodies deal with it is authoritarian and heavy handed. I'm 100% against bans and heavy fines for fans caught setting them off. However, if anyone throws a spent firework at another person's head, they should be banned from CP for a long time and banned from ever buying fireworks again.

StPauli1916 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  15. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

16. Jhaf Gold Member Gold Member

Loud and proud today bhoys, 800 and still constantly heard on the tele

bagforlife and Rydo1888* like this.
  17. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Charged by UEFA for the flares in Stockholm.

Well done to all involved. Pointless and ignorant to think it wouldn't harm the club.

john2061 likes this.
  18. Jeremie Frimpong

I don't mind pyro, but it's pretty pointless, and in no way comparable to showing solidarity with Palestinians. I'd rather supporters knocked it on the head - in Europe, at least.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We will end up looking at a part closure for the pyros.. Seems daft as no doubt it will be the North Curve who suffer.

20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Whoever was responsible for the flares are * idiots .

john2061 likes this.