1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristian Gamboa

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DutchHoops, Aug 30, 2016.

Discuss Cristian Gamboa in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Always came across as a good guy. Did ok in the few opportunities he got. Always felt he could have been played a bit more to give Lustig more breaks over the past couple of years. Certainly hope his next move works out well for him.

freitassen and Rydo1888* like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CRISTIAN GAMBOA is set for a move to Germany following his exit from Celtic, according to reports.

The 29-year-old left the Scottish champions at the end of last season after his contract expired.

He was one of three right-backs to leave the Hoops at the end of last season alongside Mikael Lustig and Jeremy Toljan.

The Costa Rican international had been linked with a move back home to Deportiva Alajuelense and to Denmark with FC Copenhagen.

But reports in his homeland say he is close to securing a move to an unnamed Bundesliga 2 side.

La Nacion say Gamboa travelled to Germany on Saturday to conclude the deal with the full-back set to complete a medical on Monday.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

VfL Bochum 1848 have signed Costa Rican international Cristian Gamboa. The 29-year-old right-back last played for Celtic in the Scottish Premiership. At VfL he's signed a two-year deal until July 2021, and will wear shirt number no.2.

Gamboa started his career in his home country Costa Rica with AD Municipal Liberia. In 2010 he moved over to Europe and joined Norwegian club Fredrikstad FK. After stints at perennial Danish champions FC Copenhagen and Norwegian side Rosenborg Trondheim BK, playing in the Europa League several times, he joined the English Premier League's West Bromwich Albion in the summer of 2014.

After two years in the Premier League, the Costa Rican moved to Scotland, to Glasgow Celtic. There he won the famous treble-treble, winning the league and both domestic cups three times in a row. He also played three games in the Champions League. In addition to this he has represented Costa Rica 77 times to date and represented Costa Rica at senior level at the 2014 and 2018 World Cups in Brazil and Russia respectively. In both tournaments he started every game.

Sebastian Schindzielorz, Sporting Director at VfL, expressed his delight with the transfer: "Cristian Gamboa is very experienced international. He is a robust player who will help us on the right side of the defence with his speed, his one-on-one strength and his experience".

Cristian Gamboa, the first Costa Rican to don the VfL shirt, is looking forward to the new challenge: "I'm happy to be here in Bochum and with VfL. I'm also very curious to learn about German football and the 2.Bundesliga. The stadium is amazing, the fans very enthusiastic and passionate. I will do everything I can to help the team so that we are successful and our fans can be satisfied."

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic flop Cristian Gamboa has revealed the bust-up with Brendan Rodgers and the Parkhead board which ended his time with the Hoops.

The Costa Rica international defender finally left Glasgow this summer after three years with Celtic and now plays for German outfit Bochum.

The 30-year-old didn't make a single appearance for Celtic in his final seven months at the club and made just 16 league starts during his time in Glasgow, after arriving from West Bromwich Albion in 2016.

And he's revealed where it all went wrong at Celtic.

Gamboa said: "I spent a year and a half at West Brom trying to get into the first team and then an opportunity arrived for me at Celtic.

"Brendan Rodgers signed me and at first I was playing a lot of games, but then I wasn't playing as much and my minutes on the park decreased until I was hardly even in the squad.

So I went to see Brendan Rodgers. I wanted to talk to him and ask him why I wasn't involved as much, but he took it very badly indeed.

"He did not like me challenging him at all.

It got worse because I got an offer from New York City in the MLS and they offered me everything I asked for.

I was all set to go with my family, but on the last day, the negotiations collapsed.

From then on I felt like I was always fighting with the club.

The manager and president at Celtic both didn't like it that I didn't take up the offer from America.

My agent was also fighting with the club too and I felt like I was stuck in the middle of it."

Rodgers's countryman and successor Neil Lennon, meanwhile, admits he held back the tears as his Glasgow street erupted in cheers for the NHS staff working through the coronavirus pandemic.

He said: “We were at the window applauding and my neighbour downstairs was banging on a SAUCEPAN. It was quite emotional.

"I suppose it’s some sort of way of showing thanks for the amazing work these people are doing for us.

“This is life we’re talking about, not sport. It’s above everything else. As you get older, you try and strike a balance."

5. TheHappyLoss

Gambo was a wholehearted wee guy but very very weak in the tackle. A kinda * Izzy really

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Some goal against Bayern

bobs1974 likes this.