1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Aug 7, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Onefootwonder

I've not seen much of him to decide if he's worth £3m, but in another sense I do admire teams now willing to dig in and ask for good money.

Scottish football has been shafted selling players for pennies. If players like McKenna can command £5m it'll only help our valuations too.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Greg Taylor pulled out of training on Friday as he waits to see if Celtic can agree a fee with Kilmarnock for his services.

The left-back has complained of a hamstring strain ahead of the Premiership clash with Aberdeen on Saturday.

Taylor came out of training as Rugby Park boss Angelo Alessio looked to finalise his preparations for the visit of the Dons.

Record Sport broke the news that Celtic had made an official approach to ask for Killie’s valuation. They are set to make a bid but not at the initial £3million mark the Ayrshire club have set.

Scotland star Taylor is keen to talk to Celtic and Kilmarnock chiefs have been made aware.

The Hoops have scouted the 21-year-old in recent weeks and are looking for a left-back to compete with Boli Bolingoli after they sold Kieran Tierney to Arsenal.

Kilmarnock are also keen on a loan move for defender Jack Hendry who could be used as part of any deal.

Taylor, who came through the ranks at Killie, was also the target of a failed bid from German side Nuremberg earlier in this window.

Alessio, still adapting to life in Scottish football, admits he is keen to keep the defender in Ayrshire.

He said: "I don't know (what it will take for us to sell him) but I've spoken a lot of times about this situation with the board and Billy Bowie. We agree that we want to keep our best players. It's an easy situation.

"Greg is a good player in my team and I don't want to think about him going away."

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Get the welcome thread open! Pulling out training, wanting to talk to Celtic!

£1.5m and Jack Hendry will get it done.

Not his biggest fan but as Martin O’Neill said to Craig Beattie “I don’t care if you banged a drum in mid July” :fear:

Dublin Celt and Artorias like this.
  4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Didnt realise he was only 21 to be honest. Would have guessed 23/24

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is he any good ?

Hun or not, he seems desperate to move here. At that age and with the experience he has already, it could be a good move. Hopefully get this over the line asap if he's the guy we're after and get a rb and cm in before the window closes.

6. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    He'll displace Mbombo fairly quickly..

He can actually defend.
    :giggle1:

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Age wise, a much better prospect than O'Donnell at right back, wouldn't touch him at all.

However, if it's £3mill for Taylor, and the option of Melling for similar, I'll be rather disappointed that we haven't secured Melling at this junction.

Melling is a much better player currently and more experienced at a good age. That sort of money is better spent there in my opinion.

But then, we know we don't actually use scouts anymore, so I doubt Celtic even know who Melling is, even after we have played against him 6 time sin the last 4 years.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

bkk bhoy likes this.
  8. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

He wasn’t a hun mate, just a supporter.

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully after the pool.

10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

* me, did we get the wrong one?

11. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Not against Taylor coming at all, he might be just what we need. What I am against is selling your best lb for £25M and replacing it with a £3M man. 88% of the money banked!? Surely we could find a £6M player and still bank a more than healthy amount!?

StPauli1916 and buchanbhoy like this.
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    My phone auto correct ts it, not sure why.

Spring Time likes this.
  13. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    So you'd be happier if we paid 6m for Taylor instead of 3m? :31:

14. jambo_cfc

Think he has genuinely pulled out because of a hamstring complaint rather than trying to force a move to celtic , papers putting 2+2 together

15. freitassen

No one against signing Armstrong, very few were against signing McGinn, and the majority wanted Turnbull. If a good player appears in a scottish team and is indeed a good deal people will be in favour. Panic signing the left back of a team that cant beat * welsh shephards isnt that. Nevertheless for 3 million

You have to scroll as far back as 2007 to find successful players from SPFL * when the likes of Morgan, Allan, Hendry, Hayes, Mulumbu were piled up here last season. We dont need to renew our stock of diddy teams deadwood.

It obviously stinks of an horrible deal. Kilmarnock hasnt made a single good match since Clarke left. It is quite obvious there was little talent in that team and Clarke basically worked a miracle. Mulumbu couldnt do * here, why this staunch hun would?

Blochairnbhoy and Westlondonscot like this.
  16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    My view of Taylor to be honest, and most Killie players. They were organised well and take them out of that organisation and they struggle. Mulumbu is a prime example and the Killie players who got selected for Scotland. He could be good but a good chance it was just who and when he was playing for

freitassen likes this.
  17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

It’s obvious we aren’t going to splash cash on Melling so I’d take Taylor at a fair price. He definitely has room for improvement but a solid base to build on, good defensively with decent pace and energy, also not shy of a tackle. Still only young as well.

18. CountyDownFaithful

Any idea what Melings market value is? Agree that Taylor has plenty of potential.

19. Lumpytim

I think we will go for Taylor over melling because killie will be willing to take Hendry as part payment and we would have to pay full price for melling

20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not really sure what you mean by the bit in bold. I don't know who you mean when you're saying 'SPFL *', or what your definition of successful would be, but a lot of players have left the SPL/SPFL since 2007 and gone on to have good careers at either Celtic or Rangers, or a variety of clubs down South.

Granted, Celtic have signed a lot of poor players from other Scottish sides since 2007, but also a lot of good ones and I'd say - overall - we've got good value for money from signing Scottish players.

Dublin Celt likes this.