1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Hartson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 6, 2016.

Discuss John Hartson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Nasser

I loved seeing him in old firm matches, they shat it when he had the ball, it was good to see a Welsh lad at Celtic as well the Hun hated that, you would even see a few Welsh flags on display.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great episode.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

“John Hartson will be interviewed for the vacant managerial post at Livingston. The former Celtic striker has been part of the coaching staff at the club for the past 10 months under the now-departed manager David Hopkin”

Doogs. likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

John Hartson has confirmed that he has applied for the Livingston managerial post.

The former Celtic striker is in the frame for the post vacated by David Hopkin last week. The 47-year-old rejected a contract extension after leading Livingston to back-to-back promotions.

Hartson worked part-time last season with Livingston doing some coaching work and has confirmed that he is keen to take the managerial role on a permanent basis. It is believed that there are several candidates who are being considered for the post with the next 48 hours expected to result in notification of an interview process.

"I have declared an interest in the job," said Hartson. "It all moved pretty quickly, to be honest.

"David decided that he did not wish to carry on at Livingston and I was asked if I would consider the job.

"I spoke to one or two people that I am still connected with in football and my own gut feeling was that I should go for it.

"I don't want to say too much on the subject. But I have my coaching badges and I have been an assistant manager already so this could be another step.

"I have declared an interest. I obviously know the players from doing some coaching last season with them and we will see what happens next."

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

John Hartson: I skipped bleep tests and feigned my weight at Celtic - but there's no hiding place with Brendan Rodgers

I have to say that it was with some interest, and no little shiver down my spine, that I read Brendan Rodger’s comments about the current batch of Celtic players and the expectations when they return to the club for the start of pre-season.

Two and a half kilos overweight and away you go to train with the kids until you get it off.

First things first. I got away with murder with some of the managers that I worked under. I’ll be honest about that. When I was at Celtic, Martin O’Neill told the physios that I was to be weighed first thing on a Monday and again on a Friday. I used to tell the physios myself what my ‘weight’ was, once I’d knocked a few pounds off. I’d tell them and they’d scribble it down on a note to the gaffer and that would be that.

Martin was old school. He knew if he got me to a certain level of fitness I’d get 25 goals every season for him and so we’d a wee bit of give and take there.

I’ll be honest with another one. Gordon Strachan was more in Brendan’s mould. He was keen to embrace the sports science element and we wore the heart monitors and all the rest of it although to be fair to Gordon, like Martin, he knew that as long as I could get about the pitch I’d get the goals for him.

But I remember one day walking through the front doors at Celtic for one of the opening days of pre-season training, whistling away to myself and in a fine mood. And then I heard that they’d set the bleep tests up. My heart sank.

So by the time I got to the dressing room I’d a bit of a limp. I hobbled into the physio with a really tight hamstring – no point in aggravating it before the season had started, was there? And so I got a wee rub down and skipped the bleep test.

Then, one unsuspecting day about six weeks later there I am, sauntering out to training when I spy the cones set up in the far corner of the training pitch. The music box for the bleep test is there. Waiting. And I know, I just know. Gordon put his arm around me. “Right, big man, off you go now….you’re the only one who’s missed it.”

You think you’re getting one over a manager but you never really do.

Every manager I worked with was different but they all gave me a bit of wiggle room because they knew I’d score goals. And I knew I’d score goals and I knew how to economise my movement. I don’t know that nowadays you’d get away with that.

Harry Redknapp and I used to go to the dogs every Thursday night because we both had greyhounds. You just can’t imagine that kind if relationship now between a manager and a player.

And I’ll be honest, I don’t look back with any regrets about my career. I had a great time at every club I was at, I love the goals I scored and I had a fabulous career. But I do look back and think what it would have been like if I had been a stone lighter. What else could I have brought to my game if I played under a manager like Brendan who is an absolute stickler for fitness? He demands a certain level no matter who you are or what else you bring and that ruthlessness is what makes him so successful. Any player that plays for him needs to adhere to that strict code. You need to work your backside off for him but he gets the best out of you in return.

And I do think to myself that if I had that little bit more discipline, if I knew I simply had to keep the weight off I think I probably could have gone to another level again. I’ll never know and I don’t have any regrets about my career because I had some super times but you do wonder if you could have pushed it another bit.

And for these players now, what they are been given is every possible chance. It is just up to them to take it.

hated pre-season as a player, largely because I always felt that I just wasn’t built for running. I remember at Luton and at Arsenal back when you had five or six weeks off and I could easily put on up to stone in that time. Then I’d go back and work my backside off to get it off for the first game of the season.

It’s totally different now.

For a start, I know at Celtic they are out working with the ball right away. I hear pre-season and I think of being lapped by the goalkeeper as I struggled on a cross country run. *, I remember being lapped once by the goalkeeper, and then by the goalkeeping coach and then by manager! I remember thinking to myself one godforsaken day early in my career that this wasn’t for me. Toiling to get up a hill, breathing hard, trailing miles behind everyone…it was hellish. It was only when they got the ball out I relaxed a bit.

I always knew where the goal was, thankfully.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Help please?

Looking for the definite stats for the big man at Celtic. It's for the plaque in my latest shirt framing shenanigans.

I'm seeing

Apps: 201. Goals: 109

or

Apps: 202. Goals: 110

Anyone confirm which is right?

14. Goggzy60

Im sure it's 109 I think it might be adding a friendly or something into the stats.

Marty McFly likes this.
  15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Top man, sounds good to me cheers :50:

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Love the big man!

19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh man, that was emotional when he was talking about his cancer.... Just wanted to give him a massive hug. :(

bagforlife and Random Review like this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I love John, he's such a lovely, lovely guy and it was mostly a very * interview; but Collymore's done him a bit there. Including politics and sectarianism in the same question was either naïve or calculated on Collymore's part, but I wish BBJ had been smart enough to separate the two and answer them separately.

There's absolutely no place for sectarianism in football and in the past we have been guilty of that; but it's not obvious that politics and football shouldn't mix and anyone wanting to make that case needs to, well, make some kind of actual case for it, rather than the lazy journalism of lumping it in with sectarianism or just stating it without any justification.

Good interview though. My *, don't they both look well for their ages? I'm really envious.