1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

Lennon said at the start of the week we would hopefully have one in before today's game. I see another imaginary deadline has been and gone.

2. Murph-E

Easy one to forget imo, Suduva. 1-1 away, beat them 3-0 at home.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Poor show to read that from Lennon.

How is it over-analysing or hysterical to give constructive criticism on the fact that our defence is evidently weaker than last season and was the root cause of us losing 4 goals at home to an average side?

If Lawwell does in fact "work tirelessly" as Lennon says then it's clear he is incapable of doing his job. Other clubs do not have the same long, protracted negotiations that we always do nor do they miss out on the number of transfer targets that we do.

There was more than 5 weeks between our opening bid and final bid for John McGinn, when we finally met the asking price he was already having his Aston Villa medical. Yet Lawwell claimed he was satisfied that we did all we could to get him.

The guy is Teflon and Lennon has went down in my estimations with his defence of him and attack of the support. Comes across very sycophantic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

So we did :56: ffs.

5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Huge two weeks ahead for Lennon and the bhoys. This two weeks will really set the tone for Lennon's second reign here. Gets it right he will win a lot of the support back in favour, if he gets it wrong those backing him (like myself) will be hugely concerned.

Think if we progress in Europe convincingly and make light work of the diet Huns and full blown huns Lennon will be right back in favour

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fraser Forster medical today apparently

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It disgusts me to read Lennon's defense of Lawwell. And I considered myself a Lennon fan.

8. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Why the hysteria this year and not last year when we went out to a bang average side. Some people just have it in for Lennon and I don't understand why.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Did you sleep during it all last year?

People were majorly * off then as well. Mainly at the club because at the same time as the qualifiers we made an * of the McGinn deal, hadn’t strengthened enough and had Boyata wanting a move.

Rodgers obviously got cut more slack because of the previous two seasons, but questions were asked of him as well.

However, the biggest difference is that AEK were a better side than Cluj. We never lost and conceded 4 goals at home after being in the lead twice. And Rodgers never made an * of it, tactically, to the extent that Lennon did.

Keano88, Callum McGregor and Murph-E like this.
  10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    There wasn't the same reaction and AEK were equally bad - they luckily qualified for CL against a poor Hungarian side then got 0 points in there CL group. I do support Lennon but if he is a failure this season then fair enough but he's not being given a chance and with his history at the club he should at least be given that. The criticism at this stage of the season is way over the top.

11. Murph-E

Bingo on all points. Some people will always see any criticism of Lennon as personal.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Obviously the reaction wasn't as bad, like I just told you. Because of the previous two seasons, and the fact Rodgers is a far better manager and so people had more faith in him.

AEK weren't good, but they were clearly a better side than Cluj. The Greek league is a far, far higher standard than the Romanian.

This patter about his history at the club counts for nothing. He is and should be judged like any other manager would be judged, regardless of connection to the club - on his results and performances as a manager.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yep that's the biggest problem.

The same people with that defensive nature would be criticising Clarke or Bilic or any other manager with no connection to the club. Can't have double standards.

Murph-E and MacEwan like this.
  14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If you check his results and performances as Celtic manager they're at least as good as BR and he has never been humiliated in Europe like BR's teams were - and no losing 5-4 on agg to the Romanian champs isn't humiliation. BR got lucky - rangers were back in the league but still * so he could pump them and make himself look good - as soon as they improved slightly he struggled. Ask Liverpool fans if he's a good manager.

Gabriel and Whoflungdung like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He has a decent chance to win back some good favour amongst the support, if we secure a clean sheet and a few goals tonight.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Conceding 4 goals to Cluj at home, was humiliating.

Trying to undermine Rodgers' achievements is laughable, especially considering we went 69 games unbeaten, something Lennon will never come close to doing. As for struggling, he didn't lose a single trophy while he was manager here. Any sensible Liverpool fan recognises that Rodgers is a good manager, at least the ones I've spoken to anyway.

The improvement of many players at the club is also testament to Rodgers ability as a coach.

The Prof likes this.
  17. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Under lennon we lost to Braga 3-0. To Utrecht 4-0. To Sion 3-1. To Shaktar Karagandy 2-0. To Barcelona 6-1. To Cluj 4-3 at home. Plenty of embarrassment there.

Lennons full european record year-on-year:

1st season: Knocked out of Champions league by Braga 4-2. Knocked out of Europa by Utrecht 4-2.

2nd season: Knocked out of Europa by Sion 3-1 only to be saved by ineligible player and finished with 1 win out of 6 in group stage.

3rd season: Incredible achievement to beat Barca and do double over Spartak for last 16.

4th season: Lost to Karagandy 2-0 before reaching group stages and finishing rock bottom 5 points behind 3rd place Ajax.

This season: Knocked out with 4-3 defeat at home to Cluj.

That is a * record. 1 fantastic season, 3 disasters and now this season is already marked by a failure.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Brendan Rodgers is clearly a good manager * sake. He’s in a different stratosphere to Lenny. It’s as clear as day.

Look at the weekend, first half Leicester were pish. Camera pans to the rat and he’s scribbling notes down in his pad. Second half starts and Leicester come out looking like different team and capitalised on the mistakes Chelsea were making all game and could have easily won it.

I love Lenny but he’s not a outstanding manager at all.

Murph-E likes this.
  19. Murph-E

4 goals at home to Cluj is awful. He also oversaw a 4-0 loss to Utrecht and a 6-1 Barca hammering, so if you're holding those against Rodgers, you have to hold them against Lennon.

Rodgers also went 69 games unbeaten domestically and won back-to-back trebles. Lennon achieved neither in a two year period with NO competition from any Rangers side.

Even at the peak of Rodgers love, I always openly said Rodgers is the better manager, but Lennon is my favourite. Nobody should rewrite history to try and pretend Lennon is a better manager just because of how Rodgers left, because NOBODY claimed that from June 2016 until mid February 2019.

I just fear the "never go back again" syndrome this time round, which by that European performance and media comments, has some validity to it already. Hopefully that changes.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We no signing Forster?