1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. 63bruce

"We scored 3 goals, it's not all doom and gloom."
    We need to stop giving him a mic ffs

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t think he’s happy, but I think he’s lying to himself and us.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't think he is lying at all. I think he is privately raging but not wanting to give the press a story about further division within the club.

A good manager will take all the flak and Neil Lennon has been taking the vast majority recently.

If the window slams shut with no new recruits and he sticks to the same mantra then I will concede he is part of the problem.

MacEwan likes this.
  4. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    We wait with baited breath Neil for you to spend probably £2m total on 5 players

DoTheBroony likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I dont think hes lying.

But weve heard the same thing 4 or 5 times this window. Its there for all to see.

I think that's why people are struggling to hold out any hope as hes continually contradicted himself in the press.

It will also be interesting to see what level of targets he is looking at now with the CL out the window and Europe not even guaranteed. But that's another thing entirely.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Urging fans to lay off lawwell.

Boli and jullien will come good

He doesn’t know how much money he has to spend or how much we have in bank

:56:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Amhigo and DoTheBroony like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon has urged the Celtic support to lay off Peter Lawwell as the Parkhead supremo always puts the club first.

The Hoops manager and chief executive have been under fire in the wake of last week’s Champions League qualifying collapse to Cluj.

Lennon has copped it for the performance on the pitch but Lawwell has taken flak for failing to splash the cash despite sitting on money in the bank.

The CEO was a target for the Green Brigade at the weekend accusing the chief of downsizing and gambling on 10-in-a-row.

Lennon has leapt to Lawwell’s defence ahead of Thursday night’s Europa League playoff clash with AIK – and insisted the Celtic boardroom powerbroker puts the club before personal gain.

He said: “Peter gets a lot of stick. It’s very unfair. It’s totally imbalanced.

"He’s presided over eight leagues in a row and three Trebles and we’ve been in the Champions League last 16 a few times as well over the piece so it’s probably as good a time as the club has had for a long, long time.”

Celtic have banked more than £50million from the departures of Kieran Tierney, Moussa Dembele and Brendan Rodgers in the past 12 months and have spent around £12m this summer so far on Boli Bolingoli, Christopher Jullien and Hatem Abd Elhamed

Lennon wants up to four new signings but when asked about the cash reserves, he said: “I can’t comment on that, I’m not aware of how much money there is but Peter does what’s best for the club and he always has done, maybe to the detriment of himself sometimes.

“I know he puts the club first and the future of the club, at all times.”

Celtic have come under intense scrutiny since the Cluj loss but Lennon insisted he has been backed by his board.

He said: “Of course. We are working to bring in three or four players in before the window shuts.

“Again, we are over-analysing the recruitment side of things.

“Some of it has worked, some of it hasn’t worked and that happens in football.

It’s not the be all and end all. At the end of the day I think if we go out tonight, play well and put on a positive performance things change very quickly again.

That’s my whole concentration at the minute, while obviously we are working away in the background trying to get players in to add to what we already have.

“The game and the team and the players and the manager get analysed to the nth degree these days.

“You could be doing eight out 10 things right and they will focus on the two things that maybe aren’t right.

“That’s just the nature of where we are now, the game is analysed to death now by everybody.

“It’s a game we all love and they’re entitled to their opinion and to their judgement on things and that’s fine. It’s not easy to hear, sometimes, but you have to respect it.”

Lennon is sweating on Elhamed’s fitness for Thursday night with the defender struggling with a hip problem, while Bolingoli and Jullien will start against Stockholm.

The Hoops boss defeated fellow Swedes Elfsborg and Helsingborgs en route to Champions League in his first spell in charge and wants a repeat against AIK.

Lennon said: “They are a strong team, they play 3-5-2, and like all Swedish teams they have a good mentality, they are rigid.

“They are good at set-plays and have Seb Larsson who had a good career in Britain and is a great Swedish international player.

“They won the league last year so it isn’t going to be a walk in the park.

“What I want is for us to be purposeful and on the front foot and set a good tempo because when we do that we are quite good, very good actually.

“It is important we start the game at our pace and don’t let AIK take the sting out of it at any time.

We have to go full throttle, try to get on the front foot, get the crowd onside and try and play at a tempo that they find difficult.

“It’s important for the season that we have European football and for the gravitas of the club and for the supporters as well.”

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  8. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    To his own detriment ? The heated driveway and million pound bonus giving him bother aye..
    :giggle1:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
    oh bhoy and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aw cheer up you.

It’s all good in the Celtic hood.

10. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Crow the Lawwell apologist..
    :fear:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s a brilliant guy wants the best for the old tic.

12. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Very disappointed to read this. Obviously just happy to have the job and will go along with whatever the board tell him.

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lennon's right - it's not all doom and gloom. We've started this season better than last year domestically, we're scoring more goals and playing more exciting attacking football. At least we went out of the CL playing attacking football and scoring goals. We went out with a whimper last year at the same stage and I don't remember the same hysteria.

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Was a round later last year but aye. Atleast we * went for it.

15. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    The Cluj game was a real joy for us all to watch :31:.
    It was utter chaos mate.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are 2 games into the league season.

At least we went out playing attacking football...jesus wept. Aye against a bang average side who we made look like world beaters. They absolutely played us ffs and Lennon!

Marie likes this.
  17. Murph-E

Nope, same round vs AEK.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Who the * did we play in the Europa qualifiers then? Honestly cant remember. Must be getting on a bit

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I didn't realise Lawwell was a script writer on top of everything else. No wonder he doesn't have time to sign us any players.

20. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Puppet