1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Keane

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dublin Celt, Aug 20, 2019.

Discuss Roy Keane in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Roy Keane Told Rangers Legend That “There Was No Point Talking To Him”

Robert Redmond August 19, 2019

“We had nothing in common. His beliefs and my beliefs are a mile apart,” the former Rangers goalkeeper said.

One could forgive even the most diehard Manchester United fan for forgetting about Andy Goram’s brief spell at the club. Back in March 2001, the former Rangers goalkeeper signed for United on a short-term loan deal from Motherwell after first-team goalkeepers Fabien Barthez and Raimond van der Gouw suffered injuries.

The 36-year-old went on to make two appearances for Alex Ferguson’s team as they won the league title for the third season in succession. At the end of the campaign, Goram departed for Hamilton Academical, but not before crossing paths with Roy Keane.

On his first day at Old Trafford, the former Scotland goalkeeper was introduced to his new teammates by Steve McClaren, who was United assistant manager at the time. However, the club’s captain had no interest in getting to know Goram.

Speaking on the Anything Goes podcast with James English earlier this year, Goram suggested that he and Keane, a Celtic fan, did not speak because of the goalkeeper’s strong affiliations with Rangers. Goram spent seven-years with Rangers between 1991 and 1998, where he won five Scottish titles, three Scottish Cups and was named player of the year in 1993. He was voted the club’s greatest-ever goalkeeper.

“We just never spoke,” Goram said about Keane. “We had nothing in common. His beliefs and my beliefs are a mile apart.

“I met all the players in the dressing room, Steve McClaren took me around. I knew most of them, the Nevilles and all that… I played cricket with their da. I knew most of them.

“And it came to Roy Keane and you know, you shake hands. He just looked at me and I went, ‘there’s no point is there?’ And he went, ‘no’. And we never spoke for three months

Andy telling the story when he signed for @ManUtd and him and Roy Keane never spoke the full time he was at Man U

Keane would go on to play for Celtic after leaving Man United in November 2005. The former Ireland captain turned down several clubs, including Real Madrid, to sign for the Scottish club.

Keane writes in his second autobiography that, when a United player, he was once called a ‘* *” as he made his way into Ibrox for a training session ahead of a match against Rangers in the Champions League.

“We played Rangers, and it was brilliant,” he says about the match in October 2003, which United won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Phil Neville.

“It was the first time I’d played at Ibrox. I’d been there before as a fan – a Celtic fan. We trained on the pitch at Ibrox the night before the game. It’s usually a low-key event; you do a light bit of work. But as we got off the bus for training, I got a nice little welcome – ‘You * *.’ I’d have expected it on the night of the game, but not the night before. I don’t think it was the doorman who said it, but someone in that general area.

“We won, 1–0. Phil Neville scored. That’s what was memorable about the game, not that I was called a * * but that Phil scored. He didn’t score many. We hammered Rangers at Old Trafford. Diego Forlán had a great game that night.”

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

McBride 10 in a row likes this.
  2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yasss Keano

littlekennie likes this.
  3. James Gold Member Gold Member

Goran gets a hard time of it but he's lovely people

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Love hearing about what he was like when he came to us, it’s so far away from the public image of him. I’ve read his book, and the public perception of him being a * I agree with in his pomp.

But with us, for 6 months, he done a lot for youth players and the first team - and then he called the year he had left on the contract short to retire because he felt like a fraud because his body was *.

I still think he had something to give us on the pitch even then though, him and Lennon at Ibrox together was a masterclass of experience. Don’t think either of them even broke into a jog, but had every interception in the midfield.

5. TheHappyLoss

Just love the guy.