1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to settle - how long

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 16, 2019.

Discuss Time to settle - how long in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. clonbhoy

:56:People trying to compare a normal job with playing for Celtic. This place is * mental sometimes!

2. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Feel free to comment on some of those comparisons to argue your point. Be interesting to understand your perspective on the subject. :34:

3. clonbhoy

My perspective is that they are completely incomparable.

4. wulliebad

If we are paying a player 5,6,7,10,15k a week i * expect them to be able to do the basic from day one....the flicks and super passes and goals ect can come later.....but we have * who cant get the ball from A to B.

5. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

I would expect a new player or even a £3 million player to at least be able to carry out the basics the very first minute he steps on the pitch

These guys are are suppose to be professionals or maybe this is the new way from Celtic that a new guy receives a free football for dummies book 5 minutes before kick off

These guys are paid a fortune

6. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Splendid contribution.

7. freitassen

I hope that this is not wishful thinking, as he is a guy that i really cheer for: he is energetic, puts a lot of effort and this is the sort of player I like watching.

But there is no way Boli is this awful footballer. He played at a decent level before coming to Celtic, was a very dear and respected player in Austria. He can't unlearn how to play that sudden.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. clonbhoy

Not as good as yours! Or the fella who moved to Norfolk for a few months and decided to bring it up here.

9. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was Pukki as much of a failure when he first arrived?

Pukki himself later acknowledged the lack of impact he had made, admitting he initially felt playing in Scotland would be "easier" than in Germany. He found the speed and physical nature of the game in Scotland difficult to adjust to, and stated "Scottish football is not easy. It’s not a bad league at all".

10. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    They aren't working as tour guides. Or as slaves.

It's football. Win the ball, control the ball and kick it.

I'm all for giving lads time to settle but lets be serious here. You should still be able to illustrate on the pitch within 10 games or so whether you have the basics.

11. freitassen

I also think footballers are spoiled as * and it shouldnt take months for him to stop * up.

But my girl is an aspiring scientist. She is russian, is at the moment at a phd in Germany for 2,3 years, * only knows where next. For those folks it is, unless you are one of the very few resident professors of a university, a life of touring around, moving countries and *, pretty much like a footballer.

It is quite bad. In fact horrible if you have children and a husband/wife that doesn't fancy this moving around (I am already resigned with that *, I am a brazilian living in Sweden, writing in the Celtic forum, the team I learned to love during my time in Ireland). Also in common with footballers, your workmates are arrogant egocentric * who love to see your back, in fact, I would say footballers are less of a diva than those folks.

Surely you are quite well paid, full of perks, respected on the society and all the *. But it is not all roses. This combination of lack of roots, a weird life style and false and obnoxious people all around you can quite * you in the head. And footballers have a lot of complicating factors that scientists don't: short careers, greedy agents, press making up * about you, the possibility of ripping your knee apart at any time, etc.

I certainly would rather be Celtic's left back than the * I work with but it isn't remotely comparable to a 9 to 5 regular job. Whatever job you do, you don't have a team of people literally paid to try to hamper you from doing your job.

King of Kings likes this.
  12. celtic warrior

It took Rogic how many years?.

McGregor is one of our own, how long did take him?

Petrov?

Hartson?

Larsson?

Brown?

Griff?

Wanyama?

Ajer?

Boyata? (controversial)

So many players have taken longer than we'd like to settle and get used to playing to our demands/standards. There is no set time.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Some will view that Harston was the only one who cost a lot of money and that amount of money should have instant impact.
    My big issue is that no back 4 has had a chance to play together regularly. Suspensions to centre backs, no right back and then Lennon outright insulting his left back. None will be good unless they learn to play together

14. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing

i wouldnt say larsson took any time to settle in at all. aye there was the hibs game, but surely were not gonna say he took time to settle because of one stray pass lol

15. ladbroke8

Jullien needs time to be able to read the flight of a ball and to realise that u can't run directly through another human being due to basic physics. 3-4 months it should take

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    You would imagine if a player has not made their mark after 3-6 months, then the likeliness if them doing so would be very slim. (If they were bought as a first team player)

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Very valid point and it becomes an even bigger issue as this season we are having to try and put together an entirely new starting back 4 with the exception of Ajer. Hopefully having some time between games this week will see us start to look much more solid at the back come Thursday.