1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

Lenny should have stuck his hands up and said yeah made a mistake but to say my team selection was fine is a worry and what next go to the bigotdome in two weeks time and play calmac at left back again

bhoy81 likes this.
  2. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Neil, when you start your best central midfielder at left back to accommodate a chap who doesn't want to be here and you also have a left back (who is fit) that you signed on the bench you are making the wrong team choice its that simple fella.

3. Dazzler86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Lennon will always be a celtic legend but lately in the media I just shudder when he talks. He is becoming a puppet to Lawell and using all the same bullshit PR stuff that fraudgers used. How many times has he said we are working tirelessly behind the scenes on transfers? If we get beat at bigotdome, I fear for his position. A bad result there and it also being so close to champs league knockout I don't think many of us will defend him or support him unfortunately. Also this summer has proved back in lennon's first stint as manager it was clearly John Park that found vvd, wanyama, forster etc

4. oh bhoy

I wonder if Lennon thinks his line up was ok are we likely to see McGregor at lb again ,I hope to * not but some managers like to prove they were right by repeating a * up action

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  5. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    sorry wrong thread

6. TheHappyLoss

Was a very bizarre decision. Thought he'd started the season relatively well, but that was * mental. No one in the pub before it could make head or tail of what the * he was thinking. Needs a strong month, including forcing these bastrads to bring 2 or 3 quality first team ready players

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  7. Cupid Stunt

Aye nae bother.

You think by being a martyr to the man you're going to change my opinion?

If you think Tuesday night and his most recent press conference have inspired any confidence in me then you'd be seriously mistaken.

8. Cupid Stunt

Awkward ;)

Lennon is a massive part of our past both as player and manager.

For me he has no part of our future in the capacity he currently is.

The club has progressed beyond him and his capabilities as a manager and some of the power Rodgers took away from Lawell, Lennon has handed right back.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tommy-sheridan-slams-celtic-fans-18947969

(sorry for posting a Daily Rankers link, wont happen again!)

What do you think of Tommy Sheridans rallying calling to the Celtic support. Regardless of what you think about Sheridan, I wholeheartedly agree with what he saying. Im not going * my pants and start shouting for Lenny to be sacked over an admittedly very bad result but you have to take in account the excellent start we've made domestically. Of course its a huge disappointment to be out of the CL but I believe when the season is over Neil Lennon will have done a good job and we will be on the verge of making history as we get ready for the 10 in a row season. I still have total faith in Lennon, he is the man to lead us to 9 in a row and then on to 10. This is a bad moment but as he has done many times before he will show what hes made of (Unbowed, Unbroken, Unrepentant). I support Neil Lennon every step of the way to 10 in a row.

KTF with Neil Lennon. Hail! Hail!

kramer1 and Lilac Wine like this.
  10. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
  11. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

This conversation started prior to Tuesday night. I actually thought you was showing some class by not taking our clubs failure as some kind of definitive evidence that your point has been proven. Perhaps a bit naive of me given you seem so determined to be proven right that Lennon is not the man.

I myself whilst being hugely disappointed by the result and some of Lennon's choices stand by the man at this stage. Unlike yourself if he continues to disappoint like Tuesday May change my mind. But am certainly not up for destroying the man for one bad result/gameplan. The rat, deila, Strachan and even O'Neil had their terrible nights to lesser teams in Europe. Doesn't mean they are all duds.

To be honest any point you raise off the back of this result in my eyes is irrelevant. You are so eager to prove to the world that Lennon is not the man. We are of two different opinions. This particular result definitely backs up your point. There is a bigger picture to come though. And the fact remains Cluj is his first and only time he has failed to meet the expectation. In Europe, It happened to rodgers, it happened to deila more than once, it's happened to Strachan, it happened to O'Neil. Does this mean all of these managers were not the right men to take us forward. Or is your point only relevant to Neil Lennon because it suits your agenda?

12. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    For the 97% fans of Celtic on this forum and the 3% of lurkers on here. Lenny is here to the end of the season. That's when to judge him, if he takes us.to.9 iar and wins the Scottish cup then the fiasco of Tuesday will be forgotten by the 97% the other 3% will only have our defeat by.Cludgy to celebrate

13. Cupid Stunt

:56: So it's not relevant because time is starting to further highlight my concerns?

I have to show class in defeat but you don't in victory?

You're a patronising * that's done nothing but try to prove me wrong at any chance and get your post to like ratio up. Have you ever posted any actual opinions that weren't necessarily going to sit well with the majority?

So let me get this straight, we start with the conversation being prior to Tuesday and end with my point being raised off the back of this result? To be honest that whole post is all over the place. Even suggesting that Cluj was Lennon's first time he hasn't lived up to expectation, are we just forgetting we got turned over at Ibrox as well? It would be harsh to highlight the cup final because we won it, but even so, we were pretty awful throughout the game and Edouard took advantage of two absolute * howlers from Hearts.

By the way, something you may have missed in almost every single post prior to tonight, is that I don't highlight Lennon as the main problem within the club, far from it, I'm a massive fan of Neil Lennon in general, just not as our current manager to take us forward.

There are wholesale structural changes that need to take place from top to bottom at this club and Lennon for me is not going to be a guy that has the sway, experience or even knowledge to come up with ideas or push them through. Just because you don't like that opinion, doesn't mean I'm not entitled to it or that it is wrong.

Rodgers * us in so many ways bringing in Congerton but he's always managed at a decent level, been at a massive club in Liverpool and worked around guys like Mourinho who are similarly meticulous in their planning and tactics, as well as being exposed to how clubs in England operate from the grass they play on to the training facilities and set up. Lennon's not anywhere near that level of experience and he was appointed as the cheap and easy option. That wasn't his fault, not one bit, but again, doesn't mean my opinion shouldn't be shared whilst yours should or that is necessarily wrong.

gazb1888 and Avatar Daizen like this.
  14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

We are Celtic fans are we not? Of course I'll take a win as point that our manager has set up shop correctly. But to jump on a European failure that many of decent Celtic manager has felt imho is very low.

Sorry if you feel patronised but to be honest you make it easy. In reality you are that determined to prove your point your going to be easily patronised. Christ even saying we awful in the cup final, it took our team under Rodgers into the dying seconds to finish Aberdeen off. Does that mean he was poor too? For me you seem to be one of these fans that was waiting on confirmation of mourinho to walk in.

We finally agree that 'wholesale' change is needed but again, Lennon, Rodger, deila, Strachan, mourinho, Rafa or Danny rose - any of these men would come against the same limitations of budget . Regardless of the man in charge they have all been failed by the fact the resources to replace the defence has not been provided .

As for the rest of your post again am going to deem irrelevant. The point remains you decided since Lennon's name was mentioned he wasnt the man. You have completely overlooked the fact he finished the league off for us, took the cup home and set up a much better start to the season than the rat managed last season. You been sat waiting for the result to prove the point you raised when Lenny was even linked as the replacement. Honestly, away and have a word with yourself.

And mind Rodgers got beat by rangers too! And let's be honest the rangers of this season is probably going to be better than the rangers of last season. But again should we lose points to them you will use that as some kind of definitive evidence Lennon is not the man.

As for Lennon never managing a big club, this annoys the life out of me. He has managed us before, in my mind one of the world's biggest clubs. And he also took this club the last 16 of one the hardest competitions on this planet. Against one of the best Barcelona teams you probably have ever seen. How many times did Rodgers take us to the last 16. Infact * it how many times did he take Liverpool to the last 16!? And I honestly don't know the answer for sure on that but my guess would be not many it at all.

You just don't want Lennon because you want some glamorous name rather than looking at the actual achievement. And inevitably when the day comes that Lennon leaves for whatever reason, be it a season from now or 5 you will be sat their waiting to tell all the faithful I told you so...

tarboltontim and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Surprised that people are surprised at Lennon refusing to take any responsibility for * up.

16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    See all the arseholes on here that are continually negative about Neil Lennon and could barely contain themselves at the first opportunity to critcise Neil Lennon, you really are miserable wee sad individuals. When Neil Lennon leads us to 10 in a row you should have the decency to admit you were wrong and apologise but I know you wont, you're far too ignorant and up your own * to do that. Which is why Lennon will always be fighting a losing battle because many of the people who hitched their skirt up and bent over at the thought of some over-hyped foreigner who once maanged in the EPL being our manager would rather be proved correct than see Lennon do well. Its * pathetic, we have a proven winner as manager of Celtic who yes has had a bad result (all managers do), for fucksake support the man and he will deliver.

It seems to be fashionable to say 'it doesnt matter if he's one of us', and I agree but * me it will feel even better when 'one of us' leads us to the Holy Grail of 10 in a row. Lennons heart will just about be bursting out of his chest with pride, just the same as the rest of us on that day....and that feels good to know. Its time to grow a pair and back our man 100%, all the way to 10 in a row.

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

If we don't get results he won't be, Lenny himself will know this.

Cracking start tae the League campaign, but that result the other night has put Lenny under a lot of pressure, especially with the decisions he made.

Of course i want him to do well, gave him a lot of praise so far for the 2 League games and our 1-1 draw away in the first leg, but losing 4 goals at CP to a very average team is unacceptable, i just hope we get more players in the door, because we badly need them.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  18. Cupid Stunt

But you point blank refuse to accept that he was very much to blame for that European failure as he did not set up shop correctly, as agreed by the absolute majority?

So for you, if he does well people like myself who raise concerns are fair game, but when he gets it horribly wrong we're not allowed to say anything?

None of that is true.

The last lot of * you wrote about showing some class, I'm pretty sure you'll find I came on here and happily took everything that came my way after the St Johnstone and Motherwell games, including your pish which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to portray at the beginning of that paragraph. You're the one that's throwing the toys out the pram now the shoe is on the other foot.

The last minute winner against Aberdeen came at the end of a season where we were yet to be defeated, don't try and compare that to us v Hearts last season.

Lennon did incredibly well to come in and settle things last season, but the performances were abysmal at times and it was genuinely hard to watch. I don't know where you get the stuff about me being against Lennon at that time, I wasn't buzzing but I was grateful for him stepping in when he was asked, I just never saw him as the long term solution and the football we played strengthened that.

Mourinho or Benitez would have been absolute dream land, are you saying you wouldn't want a manager of their calibre? In reality, I probably got a bit caught up in those rumours but that had no bearing on my disappointment of Lennon signing.

Not sure why you've included Deila in that?

He was a Lennon level appointment.

Deem what you like irrelevant, if you want to bury your head in the sand, go ahead.

I did not and still do not believe he is the man to take us forward.

I have never overlooked the fact he finished off the league and cup, so again, you're talking *.

That last bit, I have already highlighted as *, given the fact I was more than happy to accept everything that came my way following both the St Johnstone game and the Motherwell game.

Yeah I mind he lost at Ibrox, by playing McGregor at left back and removing one of the most influential players on the parks influence from the game...

By the way, I was * raging about that as well, so again, disproving the idea that I'm only out to get Lennon.

I didn't even watch the game at Ibrox we lost when Rodgers was in charge because I knew as soon as I saw the lineup we were going to be brutal.

And what has he done since leaving Celtic?

Bolton and Hibs...

There's a big period of time you've missed out there.

Add to the fact Lennon would get nowhere near a Liverpool or a Leicester I'm not really sure what this part of your post proves at all?

And there's the fishing for likes raising it's head again.

Everything I have posted about Lennon, the board etc. whilst many may not have agreed with it and some have, most people have accepted that it was reasonably well presented.

I haven't intentionally set out to come on rambling anti-Lennon messages, I've raised my concerns and given my justifications for them.

Literally all you do, is jump on any person who has a concern, play the anti-Lennon card and attempt to appeal to the masses. If wanting to share opinions that others may not share requires to go and take a look at myself then fair enough, but I'd rather that than being some sort of forum * who will only ever say what he thinks random people on the internet want to hear, regardless of how much subsistence his posts actually have.

Avatar Daizen and gazb1888 like this.
  19. murphy88

The negativity surrounding Lennon was always going to be rife when a bad result came about. When you go from a manager such as Rodgers and then go back for a manager who isn't at that level and has just had a pretty awful spell at another Scottish team, of course there will be fans that aren't happy. I was one of them, furious in fact. It's a complete backwards step, whether people like it or not, that's the harsh facts. My anger like many others however was aimed towards the board and not Lennon.

I don't think there is any fans that genuinely want to see us fail so they can say "I told you so" however. If they do then they aren't fans in all honesty. Even if we do win 10 in a row, I'll still not be holding my hands up and saying I got it wrong about Lennon either. We should be winning 10 in a row. We were absolutely miles ahead of everyone in the country. I'm not expecting Lennon to deliver another treble this year, but losing in a one off cup game will always happen at some point. Over 38 games though we should be coming out on top, it's bare minimum to expect from a Celtic manager right now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Lilac Wine and Cupid Stunt like this.
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony