1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is a stroke of genius, song is a classic, just like our Eddy :party22:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  3. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I like the Edouard chant.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Ryan19

The Green Brigade takes pride in our efforts to support access to football for all irrespective of race, religion or *. On Saturday we displayed banners and distributed leaflets to highlight the inhumane treatment of asylum seekers in Glasgow. On Sunday, we offered our support to the Celtic Women’s team, enjoying a familiar victory over our inferior Glasgow rivals. Neither action was monumental however merely a continuation of the small, humble steps we take to tackle discrimination and promote inclusivity.

Clearly, we treat recent allegations of misogyny and sectarianism with the contempt that they deserve. We are content that our efforts across the weekend have been well received and would encourage the offended party from Sunday to re-educate themselves on misogyny and sectarianism. Given their vast experience of the latter, we would expect them to be better informed.

Green Brigade

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

In response to this pish

Marie likes this.
  7. pop47

Well said.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The Green Brigade statement............................:36: :yeah: :lenny1:

bagforlife and Nicole like this.
  9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I’ll stand with that.:50:

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Given their vast experience of the latter, we would expect them to be better informed.

:34:

11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC say they are ‘surprised’ by Rangers’ claims the Green Brigade aimed ‘misogynistic and sectarian abuse’ at Gers’ female stars.

The controversial ‘ultras’ were at Sunday’s Old Firm clash at East Kilbride’s K-Park.

Gers accused them of targeting their players, with an Ibrox official reportedly expressing concerns about the group’s behaviour to the referee at half-time.

The Celts fan group took a swipe at the Light Blues as they responded to the accusations tonight.

In a statement, the Scottish champions said: “We are surprised by these claims which have been made today.

“We have no knowledge of any incidents at all and nothing whatsoever has been raised with the club either at the time or since Sunday’s match.”

A spokesman for Scottish Women’s Football also added: “To date, we have received no official complaints or information from either club or the match official involved in this game.

“Therefore, we won’t make any further comment.”

The match finished 3-1 to the Hoops and the sides will face off again at Rangers’ Hummel Training Centre in October.

The Green Brigade’s attendance came after they aimed TWO banner blasts during the Scottish champions’ Premiership opener against St Johnstone at Parkhead.

Marie likes this.
  13. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

That statement...

9281565F-EED8-462E-B77D-B6B9C7B2E5A9.gif

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STEVE Crilly was first-generation Irish. His parents moved to Scotland sometime early in the 1900s in search of a better life.

A lifelong Roman Catholic, Steve was Celtic daft his entire life. A story often told was of when his two uncles took him to a game, perhaps a cup final, when he should have been at school.

Young Steve would have got away with it as well had the man who sat beside him on the train not been his headmaster – who was also playing hooky.

This love of Celtic passed down to his son and grandson – that’s me. And, while I’ve personally never felt a need to hide which team I prefer over the rest, lots of football journalists don’t reveal the team they support, and for reasons I completely understand.

I wasn’t at Rugby Park.

I have a view on fans running onto the pitch. It’s a poor show but not as serious as some have suggested. However, it wouldn’t be right to comment on the people being crushed because something went wrong outside the Chadwick Stand.

Those who jumped on the disabled section are numpties who I would hope feel awful. No-one, even in the delirium of a last-minute winner – and we’ve all been there –would deliberately endanger the life of a fellow fan in a wheelchair.

Then there’s the singing of the Billy Boys. For me, this is more tiresome than troublesome.
    Unlike my grandpa, I’m not religious.

My heroes include the late Christopher Hitchens and Professor Richard Dawkins. So I get more offended by what is said in places of worship than football grounds.

The Billy Boys is on the list of banned songs, so it’s up to the SFA to do their job.

To be clear, I’m not excusing the behaviour of those hooligan Rangers fans.

The reason for declaring my religious stance and football affiliation is that if I now criticise a section of the Celtic support it’s not because I have some ulterior motive.

I strongly believe banners about a * Army being deported to keep Celtic down (a quote from a song about the Coronation Cup, in case you didn’t know) have no place in a stadium in 2019.

And yet they were held up in the standing section on Saturday.

I can’t help but wonder what old Steve would make of it.

He would not have have been impressed by the display, and he was at the Coronation Cup final.

People with his background were second-class citizens until the Second World War and then Irish Catholics, like everyone else, were suddenly deemed good enough to go off and fight.
    Steve was in the Navy, where he served alongside lads of every denomination imaginable. This hugely influenced him.

As big a Celt as he was, and considering the discrimination he must have faced, I never heard one sectarian comment or even a pro-Irish/Catholic quip. For him it was all about the football.
    My uncle tells a tale that’s way out of character, of shouting “orange b*******” towards the Rangers fans and getting a clip around the ear and a reminder that: “You’ve got friends in that end.”

This is what is known as the correct attitude of a parent.

And, yet, on the day Celtic raised the league flag – thanks to the wives of Lisbon Lions Billy McNeill and Stevie Chalmers – the Green Brigade opted for what they knew to be a controversial message about “keeping Celtic down”.

This is the Celtic that win everything and have more money than the rest of Scottish football put together.

What every other club would give to be in that sorry state.
    Jock Stein, no less, hated all this stuff. So did my grandpa. And so do thousands of Celtic supporters who would rather a club “open to all” left the * references in the past and instead looked forward.

Celtic supporters should celebrate their club, not what they think it was back then but what it is now.

The Green Brigade, in fairness, have come up with good stuff, some of it brilliant.

But we don’t need to see the F-word on a banner. Like the Billy Boys and being “up to their knees”, the relevance has long since past.

It’s time to move on.

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Seems like a lot of * and wind about nothing. From about 2 mins past 3 the media were looking for an angle to have a pop at our fans. And this is the best they could do.

Marie likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty much.

17. Murph-E

Continued singing of "up to our knees in * blood" (which I genuinely couldn't care less about, but anyway) goes without criticism, yet using the term to refer to ourselves MUST be put to a stop!

Remember the Simpsons episode when Homer meets the gay fella he doesn't like, and he refers to himself as a fruit. Homer starts crying and saying "That's OUR word for making fun of you, we NEEEED it!", that's what came to mind reading that moany article.

Rydo1888* and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Regardless of what didnt happen here there will always be a moronic element of spoilt entitled brats in most fanbases who will tarnish the name of good folk who passionately follow their team and do good deeds.
    Of course the SFA or the club should show some balls and really push the nonsense out but never going to happen. It's a sad state of affairs but this * in football has got even worse in the last five years, especially in Scotland. Go to a national team game and see the drunk loafish racism that goes on outside Hampden. Go to any club ground and see stupid * either fighting, singing stupid * not about football or otherwise. Bring your family to the game? Aye right.

19. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Least of our problems just now but does anybody else think the green brigade has * the atmosphere in European games?
    What happened to the full stadium singing the old school classics?

20. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Pish Patter