1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Can you give me specific examples, mate? I don't see it that way; but if you give me some examples, maybe I can explain them.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lol..

JML67 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Cupid Stunt

There's quite a few to be fair.

From a couple in before first qualifier, to happy with what we have.

To the players needing help, to happy with what we have.

From wanting to spend some money to needing to offload players first.

It's been a constant this past month or so.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Jeremie Frimpong

I am happy with our start to this season under Lennon, but it is far, far too early to say that people who had reservations about his appointment have been proven wrong.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Some people don’t want to admit they were wrong I see.

:56:

:84:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

Anyone who is prepared to make a definitive judgement on Lennon's appointment, seven games into the season, is an idiot.

9. jamiebhoy67

Hardly based on seven games is it though it's based on from last February

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    As I said once everyone has played each other once and we are in October/November time that’s when you can make a judgement

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I was winding you up.
    :56:

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You’re right mate..

An excellent start but early days, he may not be as good a coach as Rodgers but there’s more substance and honesty to him as person and so far the players are responding well to him and his management style..

People forget Lenny is articulate and intelligent too and if he gets the right backing in the rest of the window then we could be in for an exciting ride under Lenny..

And I’ll be delighted to be proved to wrong..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If we can qualify for the Champions League and smash the Tributes in a few weeks time, any lingering doubts should be extinguished.

Nicole and angusceltic67 like this.
  14. Jeremie Frimpong

Surely, we are all hoping that he fails so that we can be proven right? :yeltongue :giggle1:

JC Anton likes this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not us that backed the Lurgan Lion to deliver :86:

Liam Scales and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  16. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Could argue the same about the people that completely wrote him off based on what we saw from the team under him last season as well mate.

Seán Mac D, Gabriel and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Jeremie Frimpong

True.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    When Lennon came in after the snake left, I was happy and proud of him. Sure he was out of a job and likely an easy phone call to answer, but he came in and he wanted to make sure his boyhood club was looked after.
    He gave a lot of respect to Rodgers and praised the success and the backroom work he had done, albeit he did make a small change to our gameplay where we looked to get crosses in a little more. Oh and he didn't like the manager's office.
    On the whole he was a safe pair of hands to come in and see us over the line.

Over the course of the last 1/3 of the season the style of play and the way we setup didn't seem to really change much, for 18months previous our domestic game had became very very stale, accepting to win the possession game and just assuming in time we would get the goals to win a game, never truly pushing a team or trying to actually create space - holding possession and hoping a gap opened instead.
    Lennon's team last season stayed very much the same way, constantly he likened it to Rodgers and not wanting to change too much.
    It was somewhat accepted, and we on the whole assumed another manager would come in and the board would look this similar calibre as Rodgers was before.

But, the manner in which Lennon was handed the job full time, on the back of a continued stale style of football left a lot of the support questioning the methods of this board and the true ambition we had.
    Signing a manager who "got us over the line" while continuing a turgid style of football. It looked bleak as *. It looked like we were going to continue to stumble our way to perhaps 9 or 10 in a row.

Then we get the transfer window open, and sure the board brought in a high value signing, but in some aspects after banking 20mill from dembele and 9mill from the management squad, while at the time seeing 100k+ off the wage bill, it wasn't exactly pushing the boat out, this squad should have a few decent transfer value players in it.
    Transfers then slowed, we got two youngsters in who I would be surprised to see one of them before march, the other id be surprised to see at all.
    Boli and elhamed came in to little fan fare, the usual expected couple million signing that either may or may not cut it, a risk in both aspects with no real scouting seemingly done on either. Nothing to get bums off seats.
    We then sell Tierney and the money banked is rightly again being questioned.

But that's transfers and largely a board issue. Lennon has used the preseason and break to * the squad and be thankful of a lot of deadwood out the door, the competitive games so far have been good, a 1-1 draw against Cluj away from home is a decent result. The league games have been high scoring and although we can see the weak points in the squad, it's positive football, it's attacking, tempo, movement forward and looking for goals with a purpose. Not just assuming they will come.

So, credit to Lennon for the early start, he has certainly stepped it up and changed things from the boring football we had last season, he so far has at least proved that last season he was quite literally trying to hold it together and not rock the boat too much while still in the thick of a campaign(reasons why the snake as a "supporter" should not have left and is looked upon poorly).

It is however too early to tell if he was the right choice, early season form is good, but can he sort out the weak points that we all see, and we know he knows about? Can he continue the positive football and scoring form long in to the season? Can he keep all the players on side? Ntcham being the obvious one.

And more so....can he bring the best out of guys like Édouard, Johnston, Christie, and keep the high level of training and development we want to see at this club. For both the football on offer and the monetary return?

My hands are up, he has so far proved a large part of my doubts wrong, but too early to call it a correct and successful appointment.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

FranceCelt and Whoflungdung like this.
  19. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Mate your non-stop agenda against Lennon is getting boring. You have literally criticised everything about the man since he was linked with a return to the job!

He wasn't the man for you. I get that but do you honestly think your going to change everyones opinion if you try to find and bring up every negative crumb you can possibly find.

20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    There's no way anyone can argue that between Feb and the cup final it was a total success other than a blip at home to them which we still won and losing at their bit when the league was done. Early days this year but the signs are pretty good overall. Whilst I was behind the appointment and still am I think I'm going to ignore his interviews regarding transfer speculation. They have been a bit scattergun imo.

My only slight reservation with him was standing up to lawwell and co. We've still got a couple of weeks to see if they cough up and strengthen where we're all aware we need to. Still a bit peeved with this risky approach to CL qual though.