1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: We have some positions we'd like to address and we'll try to do that in the next few weeks."

NL on Kieran Tierney: "Arsenal really showed their interest. It's a challenge he wanted to pursue and he goes with our best wishes."

NL on
    @Scotty_Sinclair
    : "There was interest in him but it never materialised and he'll be in the squad for tomorrow."

NL on injuries: "Hatem is a doubt for tomorrow . Mikey will just miss out but should be okay for Wednesday.

NL: "It's a tough ask for the players after getting back to Glasgow at 4.30am on Thursday morning. We expect a tough challenge tomorrow from a motivated team.

2. themouth1888

That quote appears to already be back tracking slightly from I want 5 players in

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THERE is a pathway to Paradise for the young players coming through the Celtic Youth Academy, and the example of Callum McGregor, James Forrest, Mikey Johnston, and Kieran Tierney is one that should be followed by the aspiring Celts of the future.

Tierney left the club this week for Arsenal after graduating from the Celtic Academy and going on to play 170 times for the Hoops over the past four years.

And speaking today at Lennoxtown, Neil Lennon said: “I hope Kieran does brilliantly and that will reflect well on what we’re doing here

“It’s a fantastic example of the work that’s done behind the scenes here, not just at Academy level but development coaches, the first-team coaches, and the way the club is *-bent on developing their own.

“We take a huge amount of pride in home-grown players coming through, and Kieran’s the latest one. Obviously, James Forrest and Callum McGregor, and now Mikey Johnston as well, are making a significant contribution in the first-team, and that shows the younger ones that there is a pathway here.

“If you do the right things and you protect your talent, and if we recognise that the talent is there, there is a real ambition here and a real opportunity to play first-team football on a regular basis.

“It’s a very difficult thing to do, to produce a quality, long-term first-team player, but we’ve done that over the last 10-15 years very, very well compared to a lot of other clubs.”

The move, of course, has upset supporters who were obviously keen for the defender to remain at Celtic Park, and the manager recognises their feelings, but also appreciates that the Hoops have to move on, as they have done in the past when players have come to the end of their days at the club.

He said: “I can understand that point of view because they’re Celtic fans and all they see is Celtic, and with Kieran being such a fervent supporter of the club, they might find it difficult to comprehend why he would want to leave Celtic.

“But as he’s alluded to himself, he’s had a great time of it here and probably achieved everything that he’s wanted to achieve, and he’s just accepting a new challenge, a professional challenge as well as a personal challenge in his life as well.”

He added: “It’s understandable. It’s going to hurt us because we’re losing a very good player. These things crop up now and again in football. All teams sell good players eventually, and Kieran’s no different in that regard. It was protracted because we couldn’t agree a deal, but the deal’s done now and he goes with our best wishes.”

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He wants 5 players in then says he has some positions we need to address. Already * backtracking man.

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    His statements are all over the place so I'm now not going to really bother with what is being said.

This morning I read we want 5 players in very specific positions. This evening I'm reading he is looking st 2 or 3 and will have to get rid of MORE players before bringing them in?

Just going to have to wait and see. I dont believe that he doesn't want to strengthen but he is absolutely all over the place with what hes saying.

To me, it's as though he said that about the 5 players without consulting anyone else and after a meeting and everything settled down hes had the reigns put on him. I hope I'm wrong.

Because we seriously do need to invest it in at least 5 decent quality additions. Anything less and there really has to be questions asked. For real this time.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Do we, though? I think we need a couple of projects the likes of Bolingoli to develop with a view to replacing Eddy and Broony in the next season or two and a back up RB; but in terms of real quality just ready to immediately plug and play, all I see is one (at LB), not 5.

Edit: or maybe 2 if we're planning to play a back 3 sometimes. Jozo is excellent back up, but is too prone to brain farts to be a first choice.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Disagree entirely. We definitely do.

We definitely dont need projects. Maybe 1. But we need 4 bits of quality minimum...we've barely added to the squad this window.

The squad still needs freshened.

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Bolingoli...a project?

He’s 24 ffs.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He also has the positional sense of a blind spaniel.

10. Jeremie Frimpong

Plenty time.

11. shaw1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone / Let the people sing
    No way in * do we need projects just now.... This is when we MUST strengthen with quality.... We are only a suspension or a couple of injuries (which come along every other day at celtic) away from being fkd.... Neil is a yes man... That's why he was brought in... He will do and say as he is told and this time won't quit because of it due to seeing that this is the best gig he will get... His press conferences and interviews confirm this with the amount of backtracking he does.... I want the money and need 5 players to we need two or 3 but need to move players on.... Not confident this window will be any different than the last few seasons... All hope topped of with a huge amount of disappointment....

12. Dazzler86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    His comments are all over the place atm. He is also moaning about the number of games but at the same time trimming an already thin squad

Mr Shelby and Henke102 like this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I see a good player there, just a player suited to 3 5 2 not 451. At 24 you can still add quality if the basics are there.
    You need a good mix of projects and solid experience pros. Luca Connel seems like a great project to me. I would have no issues with another project but not a £7m one like Rico Henry.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not all about age. Lenny himself said they are happy with him going forward but need to work with him defensively. They will have known that before buying him. To my mind, that's a project albeit he's not a kid.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Apart from LB (and Jozo if we are going to play a back 3), where do we desperately need strengthened?

For me (assuming a back 4):

Stickers: Eddy Griffiths and Bayo (need a project to replace Eddy when he goes who can also be back up)

Midfielders: CM, Broony, Bitton, Rigid, Christie, Shved, need a project who can replace Broony when he hangs up his boots.

Wingers: Forrest, Sinclair, MJ (back up = Morgan)

LB: need quality

RB: Hatem, need a back up

CB's: Jullien, Sher, Jozo as back up, Hatim as back up

GK: Bain, Gordon as back up

We need a LB; but apart from that, I'm really happy with the squad. I don't think we desperately need to spend big money. If we can get the right person to upgrade a position (perhaps Jozo), we definitely should spend the money. But Lenny already said that.

There's no contradiction here. We always want to improve if the right investment is there; but if it isn't to be, the squad is good (apart from obviously LB with KT gone)

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Elhamed has started well but I'm not going to allow that to let me get swayed.

I still want us to spend a decent amount on a RB. Theres room for 2 over a 65 game season to get plenty of games. Especially with Elhamed playing CB and DM.

The other positions for me are as follows:

LB quality KT replacement;

DM quality holding midfielder. We only really have Brown as a destroyer type. Last season one of my biggest gripes was we weren't rough enough;

CB quality project or 23-25 year old; This is where I think there can be an allowance for a quality project. For instance Prajovic from Partizan. That would give us Jullien, Ajer, Simunovic, Prajovic and Elhamed to fill in. If we are going to play 3ATB we need that many. And it also prepares for Ajer or Simunovic leaving in the next year a bit better;

Theres 4 immediately. Now I think theres also room for a bit of quality to still come into the attack after that. And I think Lennon feels that way too. Whether it's a target man striker, winger, or a mix of a couple positions. 5 good level additions would have me feeling a lot more comfortable about the challenges to come.

Quality is a funny word to use and I hate using it as it's very difficult to get immediately at our level. But for me in this instance it means five £3-6m signings there or thereabouts. I'm not asking for miracles.

The money is there and potentially another £40m from the CL to be won. Let's use it and plan long term for once.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't disagree with any of that, I want all that too and I'm sure Lenny does. Hopefully we succeed in getting that, because we should always be looking to improve. Where I disagree is in the word "need". Hopefully we will get some or all of that; but if we don't, it doesn't mean we have been negligent IMHO, because AFAICS the only quality first team player we need is a LB.

If all we get the rest of the window is a decent LB and a few more development projects, I won't be up in arms or accusing the board (let alone Lenny) of not spending enough. Of course I'll be happier if we strengthen a few more positions along the lines you mention. I know Lawwell has a track record of lying; but if Lenny says they are trying to get the right players in but it's difficult and there are no guarantees, I believe him.

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lennon said he was joking when he wanted 5 players in, which I thought would be the case when I read it tbh. We don’t need 5 players for our starting eleven. I’d say 3 players that are improvements on what we have in their respective positions (left back being the most important for me at the moment) and we’d have had a good window.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Well that's not much * use Lenny as we are playing on Tuesday.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Very weird comment if he was joking tbh.

Seemed serious at the time. What's the point?