1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lennon - we may need to move out players, before signing anyone.

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Aug 8, 2019.

Discuss Lennon - we may need to move out players, before signing anyone. in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song

The backtracking begins..

Lewis Kerr and Murph-E like this.
  2. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    THE BATTERED BUNNET on 9TH AUGUST 2019 12:05 PM

Paul

I’ve got a bee in my bunnet that’s been buzzing about with increasing energy in recent seasons, and your leader has only agitated it further.

“…selling your top player for £25m… imagine… how transformational this kind of money is.”

Celtic closed the year to June 2018 with £42M cash at bank.

By December Cash and Receivables had increased by a further £7M. In February we received an unbudgeted £9M for the management team.

While trading results will be loss-making for the year to June 2019 (Europa League versus Champions League), gains on disposal will more than backfill the losses, and cash and liquidity will again be greater year on year. I’ll hazard a guess and say we closed the year to June 2019 with £50M cash at bank.

We’ve now taken £25M from Arsenal for KT, paid in one immediate instalment, adding further to a historically unprecedented cash levels.

Even factoring for recent player purchases and staged payments on last seasons purchases, Celtic’s current cash position is largely* equivalent to one entire year of operating cost. And we’ve got a 50:50 chance of getting into the group stages of the Champions League. Were we to do so, the cash position might* exceed the total revenue for the year.

I’ve been in business in some form or another for 30 odd years, and in all that time I have never known or heard of a business accumulating cash to such an extent over such a long period. Those that have generated surplus cash have returned it to shareholders.

Beyond the requirements of day to day funding and business risk management, Cash in the bank, of itself, does nothing. It’s inert, dormant. There’s no point to it.

Cash needs to be applied to the business; it needs to be used, invested to create further growth.

In Celtic’s case, that means capital projects that increase income, and player acquisitions and wages that drive performance on the pitch.

We can see some signs of this in terms of the recent fees paid for Edouard and Jullien, but it’s modest in comparison to the accumulating cash.

I entirely understand the risk inherent in relying on gains from player sales to fund the football budget, but equally I’ll point out that this is exactly the model Ajax apply, the same Ajax you have used as an example in your leader: their operating budget exceeds their revenue, and the budget is (more than) balanced by selling players, despite the risk in any given year that they may not have coveted players to sell.

In the past 10 years Ajax have generated €277M in gains from player sales, backfilling a trading loss of €148M.

That Bee in my bunnet is this: £25M from the sale of KT is NOT transformational. Any transformation comes only from using the money, and to date, Celtic have not been inclined to.

Cash doesn’t win trophies. Players do. What’s the plan for the cash?

TBB

3. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    @Scotia good analysis, worth reading

4. SCOTTYBHOY_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team To Play For
    Why would we need to move on more players we just got 25 million in ffs same old * better spend half of it at least

Murph-E likes this.
  5. Murph-E

I like that article, but come on: "Cash doesn’t win trophies. Players do. What’s the plan for the cash?"- seriously? We win every year because we have FAR more cash than everyone else in the league.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    It’s disgusting.
    The club can’t have it both ways. They can’t say one one hand that we didn’t need to sell KT- it was all him that wanted to leave, and then on the other hand, having pocketed £25 million, say that we need to move players on before we buy.

7. shieldsybhoy

Why am i not immediately seeing thousands of concrete transfer rumours from credible sources as soon as i open my PC at work today? Fs come on, Celtic.

Artorias likes this.
  8. Martybhoy87

Does anyone think we will spend close to another £10M?

9. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    im hoping he means the likes of Hendry, Eboue and Ralston.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  10. freitassen

It is a ridiculous position from a corporative point of view also. Cash in the bank is subject to taxes, inflation, depreciation. It gives a good short term picture in quarterly reports for whoever is in the board getting bonuses. But for the long term success of the company it is a bad idea: well managed companies invest their money. This, if you are talking exclusively from a financial, corporative point of view, not in a business like football where success means something else.

The idea we have a dichotomy between good results in the pitch and prudent financial management is false. As of today we have neither. What we have is a board of tories that only look after themselves. Even a drunken monkey could fulfill the task of being profitable with the money from +40k season tickets, an international fanbase and all sponsorship deals that come naturally from this, when all you need sportively is winning the scottish league against much poorer teams.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Lennon asks Lawwell for 5 players:

Lawwell: "4 players! What do you need 3 players for?"

Artorias, jude 67, Diamond D and 12 others like this.
  12. freitassen

Eboue maybe. Who is going to pay for the other two? Only english teams would, scottish teams cannot afford it. Their window has closed and we are stuck with all those guys in the squad.

13. Murph-E

hahaha

14. Jeremie Frimpong

Celta Vigo are looking to offload him.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yet more random soundbites.

Believe it when I see it.

The early start was good, same as last year with Édouard, but lately it has been dreadful for a window.
    Boli is, well...to be desired.
    Julien barely been seen and elhamed has been a surprise.

But so much work still to be done.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Keano88

Loan deals to Scottish teams or League One in England.

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    “Theres 2 coming in for talks but I think 1 has missed his flight, here’s Greg Taylor now smile and be happy Neil.”

18. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Says we have a few positions to fill, which is true, and we'll look to fill them in the next few weeks..........everyone knew KT was for the off, could we not have his replacement already lined up or is that too much like common sense? Same with RB position, not exactly brand new information is it. We got Elhamed fair enough but we still need another. It seems to be a different answer every time Lennon is asked about transfers, 4 in before Nomme Kalju, 1 in for Cluj, we need 5 then we need 3, players will have to go. Doesn't inspire confidence. A less popular manager would be getting pelters by now.

19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    5 positions last night down to 2 or 3 today :56::56::56:

Got to agree

Morgan
    Kouassi
    Hendry
    Miller
    Ralston

All need moved on!

20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    See every time the @The Thumb starts one of these threads it goes to *!

Belgian_lad likes this.