1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Failing a fitness test

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cringer67, Aug 8, 2019.

Discuss Failing a fitness test in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cringer67

Got me thinking last night when Mikey Johnston failed his last night. Does anyone actually know what the tests are and how you ''fail'' them? Does the players honesty come in to it or it is based on actual ''tests'' outwith the players control? Id imagine there's been a situation where player is absolutely desperate to play and just gives the thumbs up when asked if he's ok during the tests. Just get the magic sponge gaffer.

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Player honesty really, and a coach/physio/sports scientist observation/opinion.

Unlike a medical where they are hooked up to all sorts of equipment a fitness test for a match is just running/sprinting/turning and kicking a ball about the pitch.

Maybe a heart rate monitor if the issue isn't muscular and player has a cold or something :39:

3. Bunk Moreland

I don't think there's any set "test" so to speak, they probably just run about, kick the ball and see if there's any pain or stiffness in the injured area then the medical staff will decide whether it's worth the risk for the player to play. I'm sure the players honesty plays a big part in it but equally I'd assume that a medical professional would be able to tell if a player tries to hide or play down an injury anyway.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've always assumed a bleep test would be part of it (assuming they can run).

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I would imagine they would get them out on the pitch/training ground before the game and give them a set of exercises or movements that would put the injured or affected area under some stress to see if there was any pain/tightness/discomfort and if there was they wouldnt take the risk on them and withdraw them and if not they would go ahead into the match squad.