1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Sporting CP Bhoy, Nov 13, 2018.

Discuss The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Totally agree.
    My parents wanted to get a guitar for my brother and I said the exact same.
    Decent Yamaha costs less than 100 and are a good solid build and a great sound for the cost.

2. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Nice one troops, any suggestions for shops to go to in south side Glasgow?

3. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tbh...could even go second hand.
    But south side? Which part coz most places are in the city centre. Kennys music ( old sound control across from jura inn) or guitar guitar on Argyle st down at tron cross.

Jax Teller likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Only guitar shop I ever used in Glasgow was guitarguitar in Merchant City. Don’t even know if it’s still there though.

As was said, go into a shop and give the guitar a try. If you like the feel and sound of it, then go for it.

Jax Teller likes this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    upload_2019-7-31_11-59-14.png

Yamaha F310 is a good progression acoustic. Very good value and solid and holds tune well. £115 new on Amazon.

Jax Teller likes this.
  6. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    The only place I know of in the south side was Moon guitars, used to be in shawlands, but that was 20 years ago, I have no idea if it's still there Pollockshaws Road I think, all the others are really in the city centre, or Jimmy Egypt in the West End.

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Order now online and pay the tenner for next day delivery.

8. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    There's a great wee shop on Cathcart Road, called SOUTHSIDE MUSIC. The shop does a lot of repairs at great prices too, and sells guitars, some cheap, some dear. It depends on what your looking for. The guy who works there is also a top bloke. He'll never, knowingly, rip you off. I was in a couple of weeks ago to get him to look at a guitar I was having issues with. Ended up buying a Vintage SG VS6 FOR £110. I know it's a copy, but it's got a great sound and looks superb.

9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Some really good copies coming out of china. Obviously they aren't dirt cheap but still a quarter of the price.

johnboy19 likes this.
  10. Momo Sylla

Callum McGregor likes this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Never owned one but had a go of a couple, Fender acoustics are nice guitars. ^

12. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Guitarguitar has a massive selection.

Merchant city music was good. Got my first proper acoustic out of there for £180 when I started to really get into the guitar. Adam Black was the make of guitar. Had never heard of them but after trying it in the shop I could tell it was a good guitar.

Definitely recommend trying before you buy though as some others have said. I have seen so many nice looking guitars that have been pretty poor when it came to actually trying them out so don’t go by looks only :giggle1:

johnboy19 and Jax Teller like this.
  13. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

What a fine read this thread has been :D

I really don't play my guitars enough, but now I have a good reason - they are packed away for a house move! So unfortunately there can be no pictures, so if that's your thing, then you may wish to skip this post. It's quite long, so I've decided to put in spoiler tags.

I may revisit and insert pics if I can find any.

That being said, my first guitar is an Encore semi-acoustic. Its been through the wars, and I keep it mostly due to sentimental value. If I go through a craze of playing in obscure tunings, then that is the one I'll keep in whichever tuning I'm playing in.

Second is a white Westfield Les Paul. I remember the day my dad took me into Guitar Guitar to buy it. I couldn't play much, and didn't actually understand much about guitars at the time, but it's the one I was drawn to in the shop. I still have it, and would like to use it as a project guitar when I get the chance - change out the electrics, pickups and sand it back to see what the wood is like underneath.

Third is a Yamaha APX500, and is a great guitar. It's a little smaller than a typical acoustic, so has a much richer sound. It's the guitar in my living room and is the one that is picked up and played most often purely because of conveniance, it's the one which I do all my writing on! It currently has D'addario 8 guage electric strings on it, because I had them for ages and wanted rid of them, but who just throws strings away!? It gives quite a unique sound and is really easy to play because of the light strings, so if I'm teaching anyone, then that is the guitar I'll usually give to them.

Fourth is bought second hand, and is a blacktop strat. It has two double coils with coil taps, and I love it. It's my 'main' guitar. The bridge tone has been taken out and swapped with a master tone, and the volume moved down to the middle, as well as the knobs changed. There's a fault somewhere in the electrics though, most likely the input jack, as a wiggle of that sometimes fixes it. I thought the fault had rectified after tightening the input jack - the issue never came back - until I was on stage at a small festival, about to play. Luckily I had my backup (sixth) guitar, but it was bought around 3 weeks prior and I hadn't played it much (eek!). Anyway, about strat; I took out the scratchplate and tried soldering the wires on more securely but it killed the guitar. So now it gets the odd play unplugged. I need to take it to a shop to get fixed, but far too busy to justify it right now. I plan to buy a loaded scratchplate, maybe something like a Texas Special to take advantage of the better single coils. I miss playing it.

Fifth is a Gretsch G5422T. It's a walnut finish, with double cutaway, floating bridge and bigsby. I don't play it much and should probably sell, but it's a beutiful guitar, and can get some crunchy gain with the right equipment and settings. It's probably more of a collectors piece than anything, even though it's not unique or special in any way.

Sixth is another Gretsch (G2622 Streamliner). Funnily enough, I was in Merchant City Music getting my Strat set-up for an upcoming gig, seen the Gretsch on the wall with her sisters, and had a play around with it. I was sold, so I bought it then and there! I was verging into more rock sort of genre and it fitted my requirements at the time. It's a double cutaway, and also in walnut - it's lovely. Along with my Yamaha, it's the only guitar I have out at the minute, but that's only because I've ran out of cases, hah! It was brought to market to compete against the various 335 styled guitars, with a more grungy rock sort of style, so as mentioned, right place at right time.

My tech is nothing special. I have a 20W Orange Crush combo amp, Dunlop wah, Boss phaser, flanger and drive (I think) and a multi effects pedal. They're something I never really took to, and tried to keep my playing clean with maybe some drive. I'm amazed by other people's pedalboards though, it's probably a skill in itself, knowing all the intricacies and nuances of them. I did have an iRig to hook up to my tablet, and purcahsed Audio Evolution, and Amplitude to get me recording ( this was before I had a computer ) but they have since been uninstalled. Had I continued playing in a band, I would of expanded my tech, but made a conscious decision to stop, and maybe pick up again some time in the future.

14. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Hi @s88 The good thing is having them still lying around means you can just pick em up whenever the mood takes you, I was surprised you decided not to (not so much get more tech as you call it) but decided to go down the road of home recording. Sometimes the band thing can take up so much time you find there's no time left to do recording, or perhaps you just weren't really into recording as much as the band scene. Some people like to just record by themselves others will only collaborate with others.
    I hope you decide to get into it again, I'm afraid my GAS didn't wear off too well since when I posted in the 3rd or 4th page of this thread I got myself a LP Studio sounded really dark tho, so i ripped out the pups and put in a Duncan Custom in the Bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck, now it sings.
    I also got a new Bass, a Squire vintage modified 70's jazz bass, this thing is excellent actually sounds and plays better than the top of the line Fender version it's modelled after, I think I read somewhere that the actual fender doesn't have actual Fender pups in it while this one does...LOL madness indeed, anyway I'm not complaining, but the neck at the 1st fret is the smallest and thinnest I've ever seen on a bass, you can actually wrap your thumb and forefinger right round the neck.

So latest news in the thread seems to be we're all waiting with baited breath to see what @Jax Teller is gonna get in the way of his new acoustic, hope he puts up a few pix.

bagforlife likes this.
  15. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    My Swedish mate bought two Hagstrom guitars and said they were great, so i trusted him and got a Hagstrom Super Swede (unlike Starfelt) 10 years ago for £500. Flipping nice guitar. Good build too. Here's a very boring video on it.

Callum McGregor and Double Dutch like this.
  16. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Hi Naka yeah Hagstroms are good well made guitars, thought about getting one myself a few years back, just never got around to it.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Bonobhoy

Sold a majority of my pedals and bought Guitar Rig 6,Stunning program.

Playing it through my Yamaha Speaker monitors is fantastic.

One of the best Guitar/Bass programs i have used so far.

Still Using Fender Strat all black with white pickups (David Gilmour copy),Epiphone Acoustic and Fender Bass......All run smooth in Guitar Rig 6.

Double Dutch likes this.
  18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    My wee nephew has taken up guitar. Was so proud going out the other week to get his first electric guitar with him. Nice wee semi acoustic epiphone
    Going to get him set up with a wee multi effects pedal. Get him to see what hes into.

19. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Bonobhoy I had a Guitar Rig many years ago GR 3 or 4 I think it was but I have a few of them these days Amplitube 4 & 5 which came with one of my Audio Interfaces Axe I/O, and one or two others they are real handy for home recording as it's all in the box (Computer).

20. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Lads my youngest is taking lessons he's on to his 6th lesson here he's loving it. Only issue is that it's a half hour a week and he wants to do more. Is there any YouTube tutorials etc that could help him do you know?