1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    I agree they’re under valued I just think it will take some time before they’re valued fairly

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't disagree but we can't start building a reputation on reneging on gentleman's agreements. Lawwell explained the cycle at the weekend there: find promising young players, sign them on 4 year deals, if they have a good couple of seasons then there will be interest from others and we'll bank a decent fee.

We provide a platform to these guys to progress and it's used as part of the negotiation to attract them. If we start refusing players a move then it will go against us in future when we're looking for the next prospect.

Dublin Celt and Random Review like this.
  3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Tierney is an exception. He's an academy product, club fan, and signed a 6 year contract. The core of the squad needs looked after, too- we're not just a revolving door for young players. Also, he's not likely to kick up a fuss if we decided to not sell.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There's a slight difference from the likes of a Dembele but as Lennon said the speculation has unsettled Tierney. If we have a gentleman's agreement that he can go if we get a £25 million bid then begrudgingly we've got to accept it.

We need to have players that are fully focused on the upcoming season. That's why it's so important to keep the cycle of incoming players going so we don't stutter on the park as we transition.

If we got £25 million for Tierney, £7-10 million for Ntcham and £2 million for Sinclair and got a RB, DM, CM, LW in the £3-5 million bracket and a striker in the £5-10 million bracket then we'll have made a net profit from transfers and hopefully improved the squad overall.

Unfortunately I can't see that level of investment in the squad even if we make it the Champions League I think we'll squirrel away a good part of the Tierney transfer fee.

Random Review likes this.
  5. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    it will only happen when, if ever, a Club can and does stand up to them. I thought in this case we had a pretty strong hand here but it seems not as strong as i thought. Hope i'm wrong and we'll soon find out one way or another. Can't come quick enough to be honest.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I still believe we are undervaluing him at £25m and I'm slightly annoyed that the club have been so open about having a 'price'.

That has said to me from the start that we want to sell tbh because I would have expected a not for sale sign otherwise.

Ollie McBurnie has just moved for £20m to Sheffueld United. We are looking like getting the same up front for a far more talented player, in a harder to fill position, from one of the biggest clubs in England. That to me is a bad deal.

Cant help but feel a bit underwhelmed at the price. Despite it being a record.

7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I know we value him incredibly highly, however, £25m with £1m every year for possible champions league is probably the best we are going to get for our league. Look at Benkovic, absolute standout in the Croatian league and he went for just over half what we are getting for KT. We know the English league is a joke in terms of transfers. Astounding that we continue to scout there. Should avoid it like *.

JC Anton likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Another reason not to sell. We could fund any signings from the Dembele money, yet we aren't doing it. I'm hoping Tierney's move either stalls due to Arsenal spending money on other players, or he fails a medical. Lennon deserves his RB and CM funded from other means.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The last part is down to the man holding the purse strings. I've made clear my thoughts on him. If we bank that sort of cash and Lennon doesn't get a fair chunk of it then I'm sure there will be more converted.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Gyp Rosetti and Random Review like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are also dreaming if we think £25m is going to be reinvested. Not a chance in *.

However it would all but secure the next couple of seasons IMO and even in terms of future CL qualification.

That would require long term thinking however. Which we seem incapable of at times.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The very word "promising" shows exactly what the problem is. "Promising" does not mean "certain to become".

The EPL clearly have a very shrewd idea what they would be getting, or else Arsenal wouldn't be prepared to spend £25 million and he'd be going to Southampton for half that amount- like Virgil, Vic and Fraser Forster before him; but they are equally clearly less certain than they are with (often) less talented players who have already performed in the EPL, or else he'd be going for the same kind of fees English/Spanish/French (etc) youngsters are.

Why am I so confident this is the case? Well, it's almost a test case with KT. With other players like Dembele, there is the complicating factor of the player wanting to move and trying to force it, which undermines our negotiating position. In this case, however, it is not a lack of bargaining power on our part in my view. We have KT on a long contract, we have no pressing financial need to sell him this year and he has been exemplary in not trying to force the move, because he is a Tim himself. As far as I can see, the discount they are getting can only come from the slight uncertainty that still remains about players from the SPL.

As others have noted, we are gradually raising the financial bar with these sales. English clubs are coming to see that buying young players who stand out at Celtic is a far less risky prospect than buying young players who stand out with other SPL clubs. Hopefully we'll at least have no more Van Dijks going for £12 million to mediocre EPL teams.

12. Jeremie Frimpong

@Random Review

Experts rank Tierney alongside the hottest prospects from the top five leagues; they consider him to be as sure-fire a bet as any other player on their lists (why else would they include him?). Arsenal's people will too.

Adam Webster and Kieran Tierney are both reportedly valued at £25 million: that absurdity arises from market power alone.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Seosamh Máirtín

Sean, you're talking way too much sense. We don't spend the profit we make on transfers anymore. This transfer will be to cover our inevitable failure to qualify for the CL which is always going to happen as long as we sell our best players and fail to strengthen. No chance will Lennon see a penny from this transfer.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't know, mate. I don't follow any experts, TBH I don't have a high opinion of expert prediction outside of certain mature scientific fields.

I just don't see it the way you do. For me, it seems obvious that they will feel there's a risk there. In terms of "market power" in this particular move, we hold all the cards here, I reiterate that KT won't force the move, we don't have any financial need to sell this summer (far from it) and he's on a long contract. In my opinion, he will absolutely go for the maximum EPL clubs are willing to pay.

And yet we know he's worth a lot more. IMO the only explanation for that is uncertainty. It's quite another thing to buy a player who has already shown what they have in the EPL. Even the Championship (let's not bullshit here) is a much better league than the SPL.

Another possibility is if there is a clause in KT's contract we don't know about or some kind of verbal agreement. We'll only know all this later.

At any rate, I think my point stands: when people note that less talented players from the EPL change hands for a lot more, I do think they are missing this crucial factor. It's too easy to just assume they are ripping us off, because they can. That definitely happens (mainly when we don't have a player on a long contract and/or the player starts agitating for the move), but it shouldn't just be our default assumption every time.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I share your cynicism. If we don't give Lennon at least 50% of it then I think a lot of supporters will have had enough.

If we can invest a further £15 million-ish shrewdly this summer, it could set us up to continue dominating for years. Qualifying for the Champions League would be huge.

Gyp Rosetti and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If there was a clause in his contract they would have activated it by now, save them time and haggling.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe. I don't know what such a clause might be or the amount would be one Arsenal would want to activate. I was just hedging TBH.

18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's going, isnt he?

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Probably.

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well, tomorrow is the 1. of August, and for all of Arsenal's planned signings, there's only time until the 9th. And they have only so much cash.