1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

due to them messing us about i would put the price up to 30 million.....your bawbags so the price is now 30 million....or * off.

2. georgiebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Hopefully not a lot, but they don't ever offer odds like that unless they are in the know

Dublin Celt likes this.
  3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If he does go, every penny of that 25m needs reinvesting, no * excuses none of this bollocks that we cant find the right player lets go out there and make a real statement, we should still have funds we haven't spent for our right back that hasn't joined yet so lets over the next couple of windows spend 35m and secure 10IAR and champions league for the foreseable future.

None of that is happening.

4. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    I think we’re slowly getting to the point where a player on our books is worth the same as a player on an English clubs books. With the same quality obviously.

It’s a shame but Scottish football is still looked down on and it will take a couple more vvd/big vic sales until clubs start taking what our players are worth more seriously

Combine that with the fact tierney has barely kicked a ball in like 7-8 months and he’s had a pretty quiet season

On another note I don’t think arsenal would go through all this bother unless they’ve had some kind of confirmation from kt

Ewang83 and Whoflungdung like this.
  5. Keano88

If we sell Tierney for £25m it will be used to cover what we spend this window.

£12m spent, £25m received = £13m profit.

I’d be expecting us to sign a natural RB and another CB before the window closes. I don’t think we’d see another LB come in, I think we’d go with Mbombo and Hayes as left back options.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We can simply refuse to sell him this year.

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    You can raise the ceiling with out accepting pushing it through fact their has been an official bid pushes up the market it sets a precedent..... Tierney is our big asset all the transfers b4 where because players thought it was their time to move on Tierney has not stated this.... As much as 25 million pounds would be brilliant we can get 40 million for champions league if we get through.... I believe telling arsenal to get to * would be a bigger statement of intent and be brilliant for our stature as a club

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Yea that would be great I’m just talking about his value I hope we just tell them to * off, it’s been dragging on too long already

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

£25 million is obviously the figure we've quoted to both Tierney and his agent. Once Arsenal know that Tierney is open to the move and that £25m is our biting point then they're always going to test the water by trying to get him cheaper. As I said earlier it's a move straight out of our own playbook.

As much as I think that undervalues Tierney there would be negatives if we changed the goal-posts mid-negotiation and demanded more. At this moment in time we are a club that relies on promising younger players coming to us, performing well for a few seasons and then moving on for more money or to a more prestigious league. It's something that we now have a reasonable track record at.

What we don't want to do is build a reputation that we're difficult to deal with, break promises or will stand in the way of players moving on for more money. The rat clearly tried to do so with Dembele, he did so with Boyata and Ntcham despite us receiving reasonably generous bids for both. If the likes of Karamoko or Johnston start to fulfill their promise in the next few years, how likely are they to sign long-term deals with us if they see us messing KT about?

If £25m has informally been agreed with Tierney's reps then we need to honour that but we should stick by our guns in getting the vast majority of that upfront and a good sell-on fee bolted on. Preferably we should be looking to get it done ASAP and Lennon should be getting most of it in his kitty to go back into improving the squad.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The point of a long-term deal is to sell the player later than we would have to do otherwise. We should get a reputation to be tough to negotiate with. Not backing down from the agreed 25M is fair.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lenny has already spoken about a contingency signing a LB, but as we struggle to get a RB in as it stands, you’ll probably be right..

Our transfer business shouldn’t be dependent on the KT deal at all, we’ve still not spent the Dembele fee..

12. JCGE

He obviously wants to go or he would of came out and put an end to all this. I’ve accepted he will not be a Celtic player for much longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    If the squad we have wins the league and qualifies for champions league proper it's very hard to justify spending 30+ million. I'm all for dreaming big but you have to be pragmatic. It's very possible a club that spend 50mil could still go out of champions league before the group stages. I'm all for reinvestment and spending once the players bought improve the team and have a potential to be sold for at least that money back. Premier league clubs can afford to get it wrong on big transfers due to the pl money and tv endorsements etc, we can't.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thing is, there's an asymmetry of information. We know he's worth more than that; but all that English clubs have to go on are scouting reports, videos and a few solid performances in Europe. The fact that he's an absolute standout in the SPL tells a club like Arsenal almost nothing about whether he is good enough for them.

Obviously is and he'll do very well for them; but their price is always going to factor in that uncertainty.

All we can do is create a name for ourselves quite apart from the general SPL market and gradually raise the confidence of English clubs in us by pointing to guys like Dembele, Virgil, Vic, Forster...
    The fact that he is going to Arsenal for £25 million instead of Southampton for 12 tells us that we have already made considerable progress in this regard. However, it will be a few more big transfers yet before we finally start getting what our players are worth.

As @Seán Mac D points out, this raises the bar a lot further.

Lilac Wine and Whoflungdung like this.
  15. Ak1

Am I missing something here.

We repeatedly get told the club is well run and solvent, hence Lawwell’s huge end of seasons bonus every year.

But
    Dembele 20m
    Rodgers 9m
    Armstrong 8m
    And Van Dijk 7-10m sell on have all rolled in over the past 2-3 years.

Add on champions league money at £30m pa, and the club has generated close to £100m without gate receipts and other sponsorship and merchandise deals.

There should be more than enough in the bank to subsidise this summers signings, without the need to sell prime assets like KT.

Utterly baffled tbh

16. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    You think??....how come that character went for north of 40m from Palace to Manure then?? Our players are still seriously undervalued imo. This was a chance to put that right but it seems alas...

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think he'd kick up any fuss if we rejected a bid for him.

18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neither do I. Don't see why we don't just say to Tierney are you happy to stay untill we do the ten - yes, brilliant. We will see where the ground lies in 2 years time.

We love Tierney - Tierney loves us. Our hand doesn't have to be forced here.

Would be such a relief if we just come out and said he won't be going anywhere for the next 2 years.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

His reputation as arguably the most promising left-back in world football is international: he makes every list of the hottest prospects in world football going.

The people who matter at Arsenal know exactly what they would be getting with Tierney.

20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Whatever about tierney, when you think we missed out on money for boyata last summer when he was never gonna renew his contract and dembele is obviously worth a lot more than 20mill. That's why I hope Lennon is saying to ntcham you can go when the right offer comes in but that 18-20 mill offer will only come in if you show what you can do every week on the pitch. Earn the perceived big move

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Leone Naka Fan likes this.