1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jul 10, 2019.

Discuss For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe I'm being pedantic and reading too much into that but is the use of 'will' instead of 'would' here a Freudian slip?

Cringer67 likes this.
  2. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Would you not regard the fact that any further transfer business this window is not reliant on Tierney leaving, as a positive ?

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not when I know the £25m from him is being banked to the £40m already there!

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Please shut the * up about net spend, selling before we buy or how much money we have in the bank. Witever way you want to put it.

It’s * boring.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

This.

Said it before and I'll say it again...

If we spend e.g £9m on somecunt, we've spent nine * million.

"Yeah but technically we haven't spent anything because we brought in £15m and still have a surplus of £6m......"

Technically....shut the * up!

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Got to disagree with you here Pad.

It wouldn't be problematic if we were maintaining our standards on the pitch but when we see the squad regressing in quality and performance levels then I think it's valid to bring up that we have money to rectify the issue.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It’s not even that.

Even * thread he’s in it * greeting about it every few posts. It’s embarrassing.

8. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

You can say it before and keep saying it as many times as you want, supporters aren’t concerned about a surplus or deficit.

We’re concerned to say the least because we’ve needed players in key areas all over the park for 2 years and our board are stockpiling cash rather than improving the team.

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world, it honestly sickens me to see how some fans defend how our board conduct their transfer business. Terrible to see. Statements like yours give credence to the way they go about their business.

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Pretty * to call other supporters out on a genuine concern that many of us have.

The lack of pre sale investment has been an issue here for nearly 5 years. We are simply not proactive enough. Its only normal and correct that people are frustrated about it.

Telling other supporters to "shut the * up" doesnt make facts go away, nor their justified concerns.

bhoy81 likes this.
  10. themouth1888

I dont know how some can defend our transfer inactivity over last few years.

Money continues to come in but MUCH LESS is spent. Dont care if we spent 9mil on a player we should have spent much more.

We all invest in Celtic one way or another so are more than entitled to get * off with the penny pinching. You wouldn't put up with it in any other walk of life so why let Celtic away with it?

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Both of yous two *'s posts has absolutely * all to do with what I posted...

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Cifuentes and a RB in before the next round would be nice.

13. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye or even just a RB at this point, when is the shut off for transfers that can play in the next round?

14. y_n_w_a

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Paul McStay,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Y N W A
    Its a Slipman Freud ..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I know I go on like a broken record but it is frustrating as * as Celtic fans we have watched this team regress (although still win 3 consecutive trebles) in terms of overall play - some of the below is hypothetical but also a realisation of the state of play and mindset of the board.

I said at the end of last season this Celtic team had got to the end of their "cycle" and over a dozen players leaving backs that up. We still have some players who aren't good enough or who want away with their game time going to be reduced that is fine I really don't mind and welcome that.

I understand we are also in a reduced revenue income from prize money and TV money even in comparison to the Dutch, Belgian and Portuguese leagues vs the "big 4" leagues

UCL income isn’t vital to our business model as Lawwell has said on various occasions it allows us to enhance the brand as we normally cover what we spend in any 5 year cycles Lawwell has spoken about!

We have got significant Merchandise, sponsorship and sold-out season ticket sales and that keeps the club running on a fantastic basis which you can applauded the board for most definitely.

But as I said we have released 12 players at an average salary per week of say £150k per week combined that's £7.8m off the wage bill, add to that all Rodgers staff on £100k a week that's another £5.2m down in wages that's £13m or 22.3% off the wage bill so we are cutting our cloth accordingly it had to be done we couldn't run at wages of £60m every season.

What I do however have an issue with is the constant "need to run at a profit" mantra people seem to think we need, yeah it is nice but it isn't a legal requirement of any PLC to do this.

We have over £40m cash in the bank - Bankier has said it will not be invested "its in the bank and will be staying there for the business" was his exact comment at the AGM last year - not the team the business.

So that tells me from the comments from Lenny like those today about "we wont break the business module", the cynic in me thinks the £25m from KT (should it be done) and the £10m plus from Ntcham (he will move this window) we are waiting to get the cash in from sales as the below will confirm.

We have also had a £60m wage bill for the last few seasons as it is well documents how heavily incentivised our players and managers contracts are based on Champions League qualification and domestic success so as we failed to beat AEK Athens last summer over wage bill should naturally be down for last season allowing for the new contracts also for certain players.

The squad is still bloated (Hendry, Miller, Ralston, Kouassi and Hayes for me should all be gone by end of window). So go on the basis lenny gets £18m what we bring in but we keep some in reserve.

2 x RB
    1 x LB
    2 x CM
    1 x ST

That is 6 players with 6 weeks of the window left, we have needed a right back for the last 18 months, say on average £3m a player and we will have spent £21m (this financial year) but brought in £40m people will rightly say Celtic have spent £31m (summer window) but for me I look at what comes in and goes out since the summer of 2016 our spending has been

2016 - 2017: Acquisitions - £13.8m vs Sales - £3.2m Net Spend £10.6m
    2017 - 2018: Acquisitions - £16.6m vs Sales - £16.5m Net Spend £0.1m
    2018 - 2019: Acquisitions - £11.5m vs Sales - £29.8m Net Profit £18.3m
    2019 - 2020: Acquisitions - £3m vs Gain Sales - £0m Net Spend £3m

Since the day Rodgers tipped up at Celtic park until today we have spent £44.9m but have brought in £49.5m so that backs up the theory everything is reinvested in terms of transfers but in the same period we have also increased our bank balance from £10m in 2016 to over £40m today.

We simply spend what we bring in and anything else is squirrelled away once the bills as paid and that is good business but not as long as it could potentially come at a cost of on field success!

I would be very surprised if we spend again before Tierney or Ntcham are sold!

I know I am a * when it comes to things but that's because I want what we all want to see the best players in hooped jerseys winning things which we will but an investment in that team should not be at the sacrifice of the best left back since Tommy Gemmell when you have over £40m sitting in the bank and potential UCL cash or UEL cash coming in also.

That's me said my piece on the finance side of things to the accounts come out!

Just get the finger out Peter FFS!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Friday 11pm mate but can sign two wildcards upto 11pm on Monday

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Typical Accountant.

Can you no give it a rest for just 5 minutes.

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    it took me more than that to type that up found my inner @Swervedancer

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

You’ve been like that for years.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. KL Bhoy Kez

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Agree with everyone apart from Hayes there. Hayes towards the end of last season and this preseason was/is starting to impress. He's also a massive utility player too which gives us a lot of options.