1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jul 10, 2019.

Discuss For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not saying the huns have signed good players but you talk some amount of * sometimes :giggle1:

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nah sorry I think he sums up their signings quite well considering how much the media are bumping them up!

They have proved * all!

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

That may be the case but just because the media is talking them up doesnt mean they're going to be *.

Hastie - Known for being quick - * carthorse, seen maybe twice

Ojo - opinion based on not getting alot if game time at Reims. Huns would use the same logic to call Paddy Robertd *

Edmundson - Wouldnt get a game for Aberdeen. Based on whit?

Helander - The Sweden International who's * at everything

Aribo - Known for a bit of guile. Workhorse who isn't creative.

I'm by no means saying these players are good. I hope ILTC is right. But I wouldnt say it's a fair assessment. Pulled right out his *

4. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song

The amount of injuries we get is mad, especially small niggly ones. Those loan signings absolutely stepped in at a crucial stage last season after xmas.

Our squad is a bit thin on quality outside the XI. I think Hendo has potential, but do we really want Ralston, Bitton, Hendo, Hayes, Morgan etc to be the lads we depend on next January when we have injuries and a back log of matches.

If we drop a further 5 points off last years total we will be in danger. We need depth

G_portillo likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

7 weeks to get 6 signings in.. Not looking likely.

Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Hastie to me looked heavy and slow off the mark, big enough to build up speed when running but not a sharp quick player - to me he looked brutal and i'd be surprised if he actually became an SPL level player. Roberts at least wasn't demoted to playing for the Girona B team.

Edmunson came from League 2. Given how long they haggled over £100k odds they clearly signed him as a squad player. If he's even a third of the player of Jozo fair play to them.

Helander I just based on looking at his stats, his passing is awful doesnt really attempt any long passes yet pass completion is 80%, also only averages 2 headers a game for being 6ft 4 hardly scored a goal in his career and his high number of fouls especially for a centre half 1.4 per game when most are usually half that and really low number of intercpetions of 0.7 when you'd expect double that points to him being clumsy(fouls) and slow(interceptions). The 10 caps for Sweden are neither here nor there hes not a first choice player for them, probably 4th after Lindelof, Granqvist and Jonsson, Bologna looking to let him go doesn't make him seem the best either - he actually had the worst stats of their 4 centre-backs Lycano, Gonzalez and Danilo.

Aribo I actually watched quite close in that game they played Sunderland since we were linked with him at the time and I thought he'd be a centre mid or defensive mid type player but I mind him mostly playing like an attacking mid and closer to the right and his style more seemed to be trying to take the ball on runs but he was brash looking, wasn't really a dribbler and you could see he was a bit rough and clumsy and a hard worker who put a shift in - think I even said on here he looked in the style of Sissoko from Spurs and he wouldn't fit in with us.

Just my opinions on them.

tarboltontim and Cupid Stunt like this.
  7. Cupid Stunt

I watched the highlight reel of Aribo and wasn't impressed.

Didn't say it at the time and then when he signed for them I thought it would just look like sour grapes, but I had the same feeling towards him as ilovetheceltic. He looked kinda clumsy on the ball.

However, he probably improves them along with Ojo and we seem to be near enough standing still once again.

I stand by my thread a few weeks ago though, looking through the comments, people are fairly content because we should have enough to win the league despite not adding much quality to the squad.

That just should not be the mind set.

Our attention at this stage should be are we confident we're going in to the next campaign stronger than we finished it and are we confident we can make the group stages of the Champions League or make a dent in the Europa? I'm not confident in any of that as things stand.

The squad, fans and club still feels a bit stale and in need of a lift. The board once again missed an opportunity to capitalise on a bit of buzz when Jullien signed by adding another big signing, or a * right back of any kind may have even kept the feel good alive as we would have appeared semi-competent in the transfer market. Instead the rumours have dried up and now it's almost looking like we're waiting for the right bid to come in for KT so we can go and spend (which in itself, IF true, is a disgrace given the recent player sales).

It's the same soundbites coming from Lennon about "quality over quantity" that's been a constant theme of the past few seasons and has seriously set off alarm bells for me. Only so many times you can listen to manager after manager come out with that, for little to no activity to follow and not start to recognise it as code for "we're probably doing * all".

The goals have seriously dried up over the past few months as well and honestly, this preseason has done nothing to inspire any real confidence in the goals coming back. Our play still lacks a real spark at times and the players seem to be trying to force it a lot of the time with long balls.

We seemed a little more organised at the back under Lennon when he came in, but against Sarajevo I thought the defence and midfield looked suspect and their goal was a disgrace. Hopefully Jullien will be the commanding defender we are missing though.

I know it's very very early in our season and we need to allow the players time to get up to speed, but last season people were saying the same at this stage and we had the worst start to a league campaign in forever. I don't think we need to worry about the players getting back up to speed, they only had two weeks off, I think we need to worry that the current group are bordering on burnt out from last season still and like all of us, needing an injection of fresh faces and quality to give them all a lift.

I just wish I had faith in the board, the recruitment team and the management team to put this right, but it's feeling all too familiar.

P.S. Hope this gets quoted as hyperbolic drivel come the end of the transfer window, when we've qualified for the Champions League and pumped Rangers at Ibrox sitting 9 points clear, it's just my feelings as things stand and based on a pattern of activity and soundbites that seem to arise every transfer window.

8. murphy88

Forget about who they have brought in, it's ourselves we need to be concerned about. The fact is we are now a month or so into the transfer window and the position we need to fill more than any other and have required to fill for over a year is still not sorted out.

We had a bid accepted for Turnbull and were obviously keen to bring him in which I was as well. His medical blew that deal out the water which I don't blame us for not going ahead with the transfer, but since then we have went for an alternative in Sawyers and * about as per usual and it now looks like he won't be brought in either. So we obviously felt we needed a centre mid but we are now into the Champions League qualifiers and still haven't brought one in.

We are being linked with right backs daily, whether the rumours are true or not is a different matter mind you, but have we even bid for one yet?

Time is ticking and it's not long until the league campaign starts and we are nowhere near where we should be in my opinion. We still need two or three quality players I feel and these guys will need time to bed in. We are once again playing Russian roulette with the Champions League qualifiers and it's been proven on more than one occasion that this can bite us on the *.

I don't trust this current Celtic board one iota to ensure we come out this window stronger than we went in. We waited until the last few minutes to sell our best player last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we do likewise with Tierney this year and pocket the cash.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    In the last 10 days we haven’t had one single new link to a player! That’s a * riot! As @JC Anton said 7 weeks to get 6 players is a hard ask. Lennon has said he wants 2 in before the 24th July

Rydo1888* and JC Anton like this.
  10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Can we have a talkceltic sweepstake with the excuses used by Lennon to cover for another shambolic transfer window if we don’t get our * in gear!

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

You need to settle down.

I seem to remember you getting worked up this time last year too.:56:

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Haha and I was right was I not!

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

No.

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mulumbu
    Izzaguire
    Benkovic

Sold Dembele!

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Do you want a gold star.

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nah a blue peter badge please

Just saying though we need reinforcements now!

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think we get the message mate fucksake man :giggle1:

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Cringer67

I hope you’re right, I truly do. However I think that lot have strengthened significantly whilst we haven’t addressed glaring gaps. There is still plenty time at least.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have you seen their new signings often?

Blochairnbhoy likes this.