1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lennon on the RB situation.

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Jul 12, 2019.

Discuss Lennon on the RB situation. in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Honestly dont think theres a huge gap in quality tbh. But that's not the attitude to take regardless.

Thw latter rounds it will bite us on the *.

Bertie Cauld likes this.
  2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd rather have one solid RB in now, and pay big money to get it done fast, than wait later- prices might be even higher. Ralston was playing well until that big injury hit. If we have to play him in Europe because an injury/suspension ruled out the first choice- o, well.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We should have had him in last summer mate, mostly my point.

JC Anton likes this.
  4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Was there a list of pitential teams we could face in the third round?

5. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Excuses excuses

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  6. jambo_cfc

Realistically we should be looking to get a rb in before now , i know its still early but defence need time to get an understanding and i fear come the 3rd or 4th qualifier our defence might be all over the place having never really played together if we go with boli ajer jullien and new rb.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not sure how Lennon can be afforded much blame here. The right back situation is dire, no doubt about it, but it’s a problem that should’ve been addressed in the Rodgers/Congerton era.

It’s very clear that we’ve made inroads towards a number of right backs since Rodgers left and Lennon took the job on a permanent basis, but for one reason or another, they haven’t come of. We’ve made approaches to a Smith, Baldock and one other guy, I’m sure? So the idea that Lennon hasn’t identified/approved anyone isn’t correct.

There’s definitely been a degree of negligence at the club as far as preparing our team for the future goes. I do think it’s something Lennon has looked to address, but it won’t be a quick fix.

Mr Shelby, StPauli1916 and JC Anton like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye 100% mate.

9. snoogins

All we have here is speculation, we really don't know exactly what is going on behind the scenes. But from all we do know and the noises coming from Parkhead it sounds like there are fundamental flaws in our recruitment strategy.

With Lennon talking about trimming the fat, needing two RBs and looking light in midfield and up front. Once through this window, I would not be against the club coming out and using the money we have accrued over the last few years being heavily invested in the recruitment department of the club.

We seem to have a blind spot for markets clubs all over are taking advantage of, for example, look at the Romania U21's many are playing in Russia, Italy even England. We've done business haphazardly for years. For every Dembele there is Benyu and we've relied on players like Tierney, McGregor and Forrest play 50+ games a season for too long. It is gross negligence not just because we have such a shallow talent pool to pick from but also as a duty of care so these players don't continually get injured and potentially shorten an already short career

But what do I know I could just be talking *. I know * all about how we operate outside of speculation

freitassen and tarboltontim like this.
  10. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Dont know about the credibility but that Paul the Tim posted on P&B that he was told we have run the rule over 40 right backs since January .

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Sarajevo we should never have got in first round team I would have expected in second or third

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    There's no doubt we got lucky with drawing shkendija, last year in the second round we drew Rosenborg, imagine going into a game like that with Ralston/Bitton in defence

littlekennie likes this.
  13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And that’s not including the time we watched Lustig struggle to move and Toljan struggle to play football.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye tbf, he did say he had to make plans to strengthen the squad even before he knew the job was his.

So there has been enough time.

What I would say tho, in general the posters who didn’t want him in the post seem the most eager to criticise and those who wanted him are overly defensive..

This is going to be the way things will roll on here.. and it’s going to get lively..:giggle1:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. TheHappyLoss

Well we're certainly not rushing into things

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m not criticising him? I’m just saying the people absolving Lennon or any blame are acting like he’s not been here for 6 months. Or had his ex players talking about how he targeted RB against us because it was our weak link.

Even worse when you consider the fact we’ve signed Bolingoli, scouted Perraud and basically waiting to sign him, all while KT is still here.

And the people refusing to criticise Lennon for us not having a RB were no doubt the same ones hailing him for signing Jullien, Bolingoli, Connell... :giggle1:

You know more than anyone on here my issue is with the whole structure :56:. I’d rather a system where the manager and his future has no impact in our recruitment. There’s just no plan at all.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. freitassen

Sarajevo is undoubtedly a better team than Shkendija. But that is not how football works as we all know

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And I would want the board sacked if they tried to take the focus of a Treble Treble to look for signings for a manager to go looking for players, scouting players when we don’t even know if he has the job or not.

Good point you made about last time though and it’s * like that which shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the way our club works. The first time Lennon and Park had built an outstanding network to pick players from which is why he had such a good record of picking up these players.

This time round we had Lee Congerton doing so, who our board entrusted the job to. We don’t have that network to fall back on, which is why it’s a bit more difficult this time around.

“This person is to blame and that person is to blame”. Correct mate. The guy we employ to do that job and fails miserably at it is to blame. The guys who didn’t spot a weakness in the squad for the last couple of years and didn’t fix it is to blame.

Are you saying in this thread, about Neil Lennon’s comment on right back, that it hasn’t been said we’ve only had a couple of years to do so? Staunch defence :56: pretty much sums up your thought process on that, I don’t think people are attacking him, I’m pointing out the blatantly obvious.

19. Jeremie Frimpong

I am not eager to criticise Lennon on this issue. I would have been much more critical of Rodgers if he were still in the position, and we had no right-backs at this stage.

I have given Lennon more than enough leeway on this. My patience is naturally starting to wane though because five months is more than enough time to address the highest priority position.

I come across as overly critical of Lennon at times because I refuse to accept people making excuse after excuse for him, as if he is hard done-by. If they were at all able to accept reasonable criticism of him, the discussions would be less heated.

I think that Lennon's three signings so far look promising; I am happy with the result in Sarajevo; but I am frustrated that we have no viable right-backs. How is that unreasonable?

The IRA, Garrymac1888 and JC Anton like this.
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Lennon has been back in the job for a few months Rodgers had nearly 3 years to sort a RB out. We are in this situation because of him imo, but I do think that position should’ve been dealt with before others.

Garrymac1888 and Valhalla like this.