1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Our best football under Lennon was in his first season. Was unreal even though it ended sour.

After that I wouldn't say it was incredible to watch at times.

He will certainly be more pragmatic and I like his words. But time will tell.

2. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I still feel pain at that Inverness match in his first season.

We’d be on 9iar right now if we didn’t * that.

3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

our style, or this passive game thats been talked about, isnt all down to us, in a lot of ways its down to the opposition camping in their own half, own penalty areas and trying to stifle the game and not setting up in a positive manner to try and score goals and entertain their own fans and try and promote good football in scotland

i do think we moved to a possession style game way back when gordon strachan took over as boss though and for the most part we have continued with it and it has been very successful for us, although you'll notice when we step up to european opponents we dont dominate the ball as much which i think illustrates what i mean by our domestic opposition playing anti football

how do opposition teams think that playing anti football against the biggest team in scotland benefits them as a team or helps their players to become better or benefits the sale of scottish football to tv companies or foreign fans ???
    its just an attitude of utter defeatism why whats the benefit of that ? 1 or 3 points in a bluemoon as opposed to no new fans as who the * wants to watch that negative pish ?

in my opinion scottish football teams should open up and play the game to the best of their ability try and attack and score goals, if there werent any goals no fans would go to the games and no tv football fan would watch the football on tv, which means no money to be made from advertising our game or showing it on tv therefore no outside money getting invested in our game

we have created a Self-fulfilling prophecy for our football, in refusing to identify the failings and address it in a positive way, instead maintaining a negative broken system and way of playing with no courage to affect a positive change we are simply drifting to oblivion.

its a shocking lack of care of the national game

sorry got a bit carried away

Lilac Wine, kramer1 and tarboltontim like this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The strange thing is the matches we lost in the league last season were to teams who didn't sit back, they came at us.

5. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Find it ironic how some supporters blame other teams for sitting in and being organised against us all the while bemoaning our humpings in Europe when we refuse to do exactly that.

Most SPFL teams playing us is like us playing PSG.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I loved the second half of his second season and again the second half of his last when we moved to the diamond.

The second season the interchanging between Hooper, Stokes and Commons was * excellent

Lilac Wine and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: The players are in as good condition as can be for this stage of pre-season."

NL: "
    @Jack_Hendry2
    and Marian Shved didn't travel due to picking up knocks in training yesterday."

NL: "The #UCL is always important to #CelticFC. We have a difficult tie but the players know what the incentives are and they know what's at stake."

NL on
    @FK_Sarajevo
    : "They're very good in the wide areas and their full backs are strong. As with any tie at this stage, it will be difficult

NL: "We'll always give the greatest of respect to
    @FK_Sarajevo
    , we take nothing for granted and prepare for a tough test.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was he no asked about Liam Morrison?

9. Murph-E

We know they're good in wide areas and we're bringing Ralston as our only RB :88:

Blochairnbhoy and Dazzler86 like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

When Celtic uploads the pc online should find out.

11. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully he doesn't completely dismiss the more controlled possession game. There's definitely a time and a place for it, but I do feel he's right about us playing with more tempo at times.

12. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    I understand Lennon being * at some of the things Ntcham said but Lennon coming out with "we're not a stepping stone for anyone" is pish, that is our transfer model and Lennon himself told VVD to enjoy himself as he wouldn’t be at Parkhead long

13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Major difference is VVD knew he was still playing for a special and massive club with ourselves and also earned the right to aim for the very top end of the game. Vvd had respect for us as a club hence giving us one more season even though he wanted away and still have his all. VVD never came out and slated us or the league he was playing in. He treated Celtic with respect during his departure.

I get your point, VVD had his eyes on moving on but he didn't publicly state we was merely a stepping stone. Ntcham pretty much has alluded to that and Lenny has every right to stamp all over that stinking attitude. If ntcham wants away so be, but treat our club with the respect we deserve, as a huge club and the club putting the food on his table

14. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    What stands out for me from Lenny's first spell in charge was how pumped he had the players for Old Firm and european games.

8 results (6 wins) out of 12 old firms.

If you exclude his first european campaign his record was very good. 2 draws against Udinese, 4 points off Rennes, Win away against Spartak, result against Benfica, last 16 of champions league and that fantastic night against shaktar karagandy to qualify for group stages again.

Although, hopefully he's developed his tactical nous over the past few years to avoid some of the unmentioned horror shows we had under him in europe

Gully Sands and JML67 like this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Can't wait to see how we play against Sevco next time around. Got a feeling we'll be far more aggressive than the last few games against them.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Can see the spine of the team looking a good bit stronger.

Whoflungdung and JML67 like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The dreaded 'it takes time' when talking about new additions.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Good result in the end.

I'm concerned about the shape though. It's been evident under him so far.

I feel that the wingers are too isolated and we are still lacking a bit of flair. It all seems a bit too spread out. Not liking how Forrest, Johnston etc were often left to take on 2 or 3 men while 3 of our guys were static.

Needs worked on. But with more additions and more fitness we will get there hopefully.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Wait until we have actual fullbacks mate.

Something I’m delighted about is far more positive passing. Instead of side to side we’re going for some decisive passing that takes a midfield or defence out of the game.