1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Keane

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gyp Rosetti, Jul 5, 2019.

Discuss John Keane in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Honorary Celtic chairman John Keane retired today, he helped usher in Fergus to save the club. He also personally stepped in to stop us going into administration by transferring £1 million of his own cash. As one of the Celtic blogs said “not all of the clubs heroes wore the Hoops”. Enjoy your well earned retirement Mr Keane.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...hn-keane-saved-celtic-administration-retires/

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC Football Club today announced that John Keane has retired as Director and Honorary Chairman of Celtic Football and Athletic Club. John should forever be regarded as one of the Club’s saviours and, for that reason, all Celtic supporters owe John an eternal debt.

In the 1990s, an immediate £1million was needed to save Celtic from the ignominy of administration. To avoid such a catastrophe, John pledged this amount to the Club. Thanks to John’s contribution, trading was maintained, the wages were paid and administration was averted. The rest is history.

John then went on to back Fergus McCann’s takeover with further crucial investment. Now, both as supporter and investor, he enthusiastically endorses the stability and commitment that Dermot Desmond has brought to the club, making it the force it is today.

A man of true humility and dignity, and a lifelong Celtic supporter, John played a hugely significant role in preserving the Club’s history, success and, above all, continuity. John played a pivotal role in saving Celtic for us all.

John has served as a non-executive director of Celtic Football and Athletic Club for well over 20 years, and his crucial role was recognised at Celtic’s AGM in 2013, when he was confirmed as the Honorary Chairman of CFAC.

In August 2013, John was given the magnificent and highly deserved honour of unfurling the League Championship Flag, a moment we know will always be very dear to John and his family.

John now stands down from the position of Honorary Chairman of CFAC to enjoy his retirement and in this everyone at the Club wishes him well.

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier said: “When the Club’s very survival was in doubt, John was there to play a crucial role and he is someone who should forever be regarded as one of the most important figures in the Club’s history.

“I know with John standing down from the Board, our supporters will take this opportunity to applaud the fantastic contribution of a great Celtic man and join me in wishing him well on his retirement.

“I know, too, that John will continue to support the Club as passionately as he always did. John will always be a friend of the Club and we sincerely thank him for all he has done for Celtic.”

Dermot Desmond commented: “John has been a lifelong, passionate and steadfast supporter of our great Club. He came to Celtic’s rescue in its hour of need. I wish John well in his retirement and thank him for his enormous contribution.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “I would like to thank John sincerely for all he has given to the Club over such a long period. He has been a tremendous friend and support to me personally but above all he is a man who put the Club ahead of anything else.

"He made such a wonderful contribution to Celtic in the 1990s - ultimately a gesture which saved Celtic – and ever since has been a hugely important part of the Club’s fabric.

“A man always with the best interests of Celtic at heart, across more than two decades, he has provided invaluable support and counsel to the Club. As Celtic supporters, we all owe John an enormous debt of gratitude for everything he has done for the Club, in protecting our continuity, in preserving our history and ultimately in bringing Celtic to where it stands today.

“We all wish John, Kathleen and the whole family all the very best for the future.”

John Keane added: ”It has been an honour and privilege to be part of Celtic, a Club I have loved so dearly all my life. I would like to thank Dermot Desmond, Ian Bankier and Peter Lawwell and all other directors, past and present, who have worked together and so tirelessly in the best interests of the Club.

“I also wish to pay tribute to all other staff at the Club and, of course, our supporters who give so much to Celtic and make it the wonderful institution it is today. I will always be a Celtic supporter and I wish the Club nothing but continued success for the future.”

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

WHEN John Keane, the Honorary Chairman of Celtic Football and Athletic Club, unfurls the League Championship flag at Celtic Park on Saturday afternoon, he deserves an ovation to match the contribution he has made to the history, success and – above all - continuity of Celtic Football Club.

Back in the dark days of 1994, John was at home in Edinburgh one evening when he received a call from Kevin Kelly, then the Celtic chairman. The news was dire. The Bank of Scotland was about to foreclose on Celtic.

The wages would not be paid. Administration was staring them in the face.
    Kevin Kelly had a straightforward question for John Keane: could he help the club out of this dire predicament? John, who had forged a successful business career over the previous 40 years and was already a Celtic shareholder, did not have to think twice.

Looking back, he says: “Administration was unthinkable. It would have been a slur upon the name of the Club.”

An immediate £1million was needed to save Celtic from this ignominy and to keep trading. John Keane immediately phoned his own bank manager, John Brosnan of the Bank of Ireland, who was about to head off to Dublin with clients for a rugby international.

Instead, he was on the doorstep of the Bank of Scotland in Glasgow when it opened for business the next morning, to pledge John Keane’s £1million. The wages were paid. Administration was averted. The rest is history.

-------------

The word Legend is banded about often in football but for every Celtic fan this guy should be regarded as one. Humble guy who didn't want any plaudits for what he did for the love of his club. Enjoy your retirement John :50:

4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    A man who deserves the thanks of every fan, a vital link in the unbroken chain of history.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  6. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

If he had let the club go into admin we wouldn’t have had to watch all that * football, boo John.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FERGUS McCann has paid his own tribute to John Keane, who has retired as Director and Honorary Chairman of Celtic Football and Athletic Club, praising his unwavering commitment to Celtic.

Fergus said: "I just saw the news of John Keane’s retirement as Honorary Chairman of The Celtic Football and Athletic Company. The Club owes – and I owe – John Keane a great debt. He was a major and steadfast partner in the rescue and rebuilding of Celtic.

"His commitment never wavered, from long before and during its darkest hour and later, when the hard decisions and hard work had to be done. Unlike some others who promised support then fell away, John was always there.

"He avoided the limelight, never claimed credit, and continued to financially support the growth of the Club without seeking personal profit. His special interest was the development of young players – and that has served Celtic well with years of onfield success.

"Like Brother Walfrid, he came from County Sligo in the 'Oppressed West' of Ireland. And he left his mark in a different way. Like every true supporter he understood what Celtic means and its importance to so many people – and was there when it counted.”

9. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    What a man. Heartfelt thanks to him from every supporter is due I think.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Thank you John :shamrock:

I'd
    Retire
    As well

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Forever appreciated,thanks Mr K:notworthy

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He ain’t dead ffs

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    An absolute legend. A largely forgotten one but without him, we wouldn’t be here.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Retire in peace :56:

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

That's what I meant :56:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Saved Celtic thank you so much John

Real reason he retired was he got fed up being on the end of Lawwells stinkers eh @Mr. Slippyfist

blackfish likes this.
  17. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Could have saved his money, gone into liquidation and been reborn with history and trophies intact...

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Ultimate respect sir..

Gavmontic likes this.