1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Keano88, Jul 3, 2019.

Discuss Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

A good signing on paper.

KT hasn't played a part in pre-season so clearly isn't fit, so having someone in for the qualifiers was crucial. It's also necessary to have someone in place if Tierney does move on.

Hopefully he does well here.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

Bayern Bru likes this.
  4. 67goodyear Gold Member Gold Member

The M bomb.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo is ready for a Champions League battle and would have no fears about stepping into Kieran Tierney’s boots.

The Belgian begins training with Celtic this morning after completing his £3million move from Rapid Vienna. Left-back Mbombo’s arrival comes with Tierney the subject of serious interest from Arsenal and Napoli.

The Hoops are braced for imminent bids, with the Scotland star set to command a transfer fee in excess of £20million.

Bolingoli-Mbombo could turn out to be the long-term replacement for Tierney but has assured boss Neil Lennon he can also be a short-term solution ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League opener against FK Sarajevo

Tierney is still in rehabilitation following summer hip surgery and is unlikely to be available for the first leg in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Mbombo, however, says he’s ready to go in Sarajevo with the 24-year-old having undergone pre-season work with his former club in Austria.

He said: “I’m ready to play so let’s see in the next few days what can happen.

My training here starts on Friday and we have a game on Tuesday. So I can say to the coach I am fit, I am ready and he can take the decisions.

“Rapid have played three friendly matches already.

We started at the same moment as Celtic on June 19 so I’m ready.

“We have done the training camp, they are still there now, and I am ready and fit to start the new season.”

Mbombo’s signing gives Celtic instant cover if Tierney moves on but the 24-year-old is adamant he can be a success at Parkhead regardless of whether his new team-mate goes or stays.

Arsenal are understood to have made an enquiry to Real Madrid about Marcelo but the Brazilian also has Juventus and Paris St-Germain among his suitors and the Gunners still want Tierney.

Mbombo said: “I didn’t ask if Tierney was going to stay or not. I just came here to make history.

“Whether he stays or not, it won’t change anything about the decision I took

I know he is a great player and a big player, one of the best in Scotland.

“It’s great to have the confidence of sharing this same position with the biggest player in Scotland. We are going to work together to give everything for the club because we are team-mates and have the same vision.

“In the end, the coach can only put 11 players on to the pitch but the rest always have to be ready to replace the other players.

I could learn a lot from Tierney and what he’s done here in Scotland. I just can’t wait to see him.

“The only thing I know is that he is a similar type of player to me. So that’s also great to have the same type of players in the same position.

“You are going to see a lot of joy on the pitch as I enjoy playing football. I’m a player who loves to show my skills and speed.

Those are my two biggest qualities.

“I am more of an offensive left-back. I have good endurance so you will see me get up and down the left.”

Napoli were also linked with Mbombo but he had no doubts about joining Celtic when Lennon made his move.

The defender added: “I didn’t hear about that [Napoli]. My manager doesn’t tell me everything, so I don’t know, but I was only focused on Celtic in the past week.

I couldn’t wait until everything was finalised so I’m happy.

“You hear of other propositions, of course, but here is a good step for my career.

“When I heard that Celtic were interested then you cannot say no with the history and everything they have in the club. There’s also the warm family that you feel over here

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOR years the three kids would kick a ball about in Antwerp, sharing dreams of where football would take them.

Romelu Lukaku’s talents were quickly spotted and he was whisked away to England, first to Chelsea, then Manchester United

Younger brother Jordan would eventually land a move to Italian giants Lazio.

Their cousin Boli Bolingoli perhaps took a little longer to reach the higher levels

But after joining Celtic in a £3million move from Rapid Vienna, he reckons he has finally joined his other family members at football’s top table.

Asked if he’d spoken to Belgium hitman Romelu about his transfer, Bolingoli, 24, said: “Actually I didn’t. I didn’t say anything to people about it, so it came as a surprise.

“It happened really fast and I really didn’t know if it was going to happen or not. But I’m here and very happy. For everyone else it is a big surprise.

“Romelu’s season has started too and I haven’t heard from him since it was announced I had joined Celtic.

But I’m sure when he hears the news he will contact me.

“I’ve heard from Jordan and it was a big surprise to him as well.

Everyone is happy for me and has wished me luck.

“We were much closer when we were younger, but we are still family.

Romelu is focused on his football career and I am focused on mine here now, but we stay in contact.

“We always try to motivate and inspire each other, for sure.

“I grew up in Antwerp and I started my professional career at Brugge. If you see where we came from, to have three players in the family making good steps in their footballing careers is a big thing.

“It motivates you also to see your cousins doing well. You want to be like them.

“We lived close to each other when we were young.

“Romelu left Belgium to go to England and we see a little bit less of each other now, but during the holidays in Belgium, we always try to catch up.”

Before signing his four-year Parkhead deal Bolingoli — who prefers using his shorter surname rather than Bolingoli-Mbombo — was already a hero in the eyes of Hoops fans.

Footage of last season’s bust-up with Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos went viral after news of Celts’ interest broke.

Bolingoli sent the Colombian striker tumbling as his Rapid Vienna side beat Gers 1-0 to dump Steven Gerrard’s side out of the Europa League.

The pair will go head to head again this term in high-octane derby clashes.

But Bolingoli simply smiled and shrugged off the incident.

He said: “That I remember, yes. Some things like this can always happen in football, but it was nothing bad at all.

“I didn’t want to do it because he was a Rangers player or anything like that. It’s just that things like this can happen on the pitch. It was just heat of the moment.

When I played the game in Glasgow the atmosphere was not bad at all. It was a tough game and you see the level is a little bit higher than in Austria.

“So it was good to play against this team and it means I could see a little of what the competition is going to be like now I am here.”

Bolingoli spent two years in Austria before making Glasgow his next destination.

Huddersfield and Burnley were also linked with moves, but there was no doubt where the left-back wanted to go as soon as he was told of the Hoops’ interest.

His first task could be to fill Kieran Tierney’s giant boots if the Hoops starlet leaves, either for Napoli or Arsenal.

Tuesday’s Champions League qualifier in Bosnia against Sarajevo may come too soon.

But Bolingoli said: “I’m happy everything is finally done and to be part of this family. I can’t wait to see my new team-mates and coach and everything.

“The attraction is that Celtic is a big club that is very famous in Europe and is always trying to reach the top in the Champions League. For me, that was important.

“I came here to play football and enjoy it. It’s a good step for my career and let’s hope we can do a lot of things together.

“You hear about other propositions, of course. But when I heard Celtic was very interested you cannot say no.

“There is the history and everything they have in the club and also the warm family you feel here

Romelu now has 81 caps for Belgium, while brother Jordan has played for his country seven times.

Bolingoli has never landed a call-up at any level, but hopes performing on a bigger stage might help him change that.

He said: “I want to be focused here first. I want to show the fans in this country what I can do and what my qualities are.

“After that? Let’s see what that can bring me in the future.”

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Welcome. :ynwacelti

Tommy25 and Crilly like this.
  8. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Liked the way he handled the KT questions and when he said he never has pressure and always enjoys playing football. Great attitude.

9. freitassen

The guy seems humble and focused. A great future ahead for him

Lilac Wine and Crilly like this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

@Seán Mac D copyright.

Reported.

MagnificentSeven and Seán Mac D like this.
  11. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

welcome big man

a rb now too please

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. jamiebhoy67

Has anyone seen alot of this guy? I remember seeing him against the huns when they were away wasnt too impressed hes fast right enough.

13. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Good to hear he has played some friendlies and pre season training, wonder if lenny will be tempted to put him in for tuesday

14. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm going to go in the assumption and listening to him that attacking wise he may be a good weapon, just hope his delivery is good, I'm going to say we may suffer defensively though.

I would think about KT at RWB or Forrest.

I'd go with 352 now and change it around with the normal 451, 442 doesn't suit our play and current midfielders.

15. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We all looking forward to Bolingoli puting the ball in the goal eh?

Callum McGregor likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Cupid Stunt

Not massively excited by this to be honest, if it's back up and competition for KT then fine, but I watched the Hun games against Rapid in Europe last season and I genuinely couldn't pick a player out of either side that looked even semi-decent.

Sure he'll prove me wrong but I'm just not really fussed by it.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Which Leg did you watch mate?

19. Cupid Stunt

I definitely watched the home game, because I remember Rapid's offside goal quite clearly.

Don't know if I watched the away or not, nothing stands out in my mind about the game, but if it didn't line up with ours I would have done.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He played 15 mins of the game they got beat and the full game when they beat them.

Avatar Daizen and trip2themoon like this.