1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet connection gone.

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Johniebhoy., Jul 1, 2019.

Discuss Internet connection gone. in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    i can’t get any signal to use my laptop,the modem is working and saying I have full signal but the laptop is saying it’s not receiving any signal,anybody any idea what the problem might be? (Be gentle as I’m not very techy )

2. TimFloyd Gold Member

Pay yer bill

Edit: sorry read that wrong lol

Update your drivers if that's still a thing.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  3. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Make sure you havent turned your wifi off on your laptop,theres usually a button on the keyboard somewhere.

Johniebhoy. and Spring Time like this.
  4. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Cheers,I dug out an old laptop I haven’t used for years and it’s telling me the same thing,it’s getting full signal but it won’t connect to the internet I’ll turn it all off and try again tomorrow as it’s frying what’s left of my brain.

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Virgin media? Move your laptop closer to the router. My phone says 4 bars but wont connect sometimes. I walk 5 yards closer and it works. Pain in the *. If you ever complain I get the "very modern router sir your items must be old"

Got a galaxy s10....

"Old sir"

6. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Still the same as last night,the troubleshooter says there’s a cable disconnected but I’ve checked and checked again but can’t find anything like that. I don’t really know if the problem is with the network or the laptop.:31:

7. wulliebad

I couldnt connect with my laptop for love or money no matter what i tried.....in the end i have to hard wire it and its working great......but the laptop just outright refused to go wifi even though it could.

8. wulliebad

More than one device not working i would start looking at the router.....can you borrow one to try or buy another one..........i always have a spare because it helps work out * like this.

9. wulliebad

Are all the lights on,on the router....have you unplugged it and left it for 10 mins or tried hitting the reset button.

10. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Turn it off and turn it back on again.

Fixes so many problems it’s unreal, and * charge you several hundred pounds just to tell you to do that, I’m in the wrong job!

11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Does that mean it’s working now?

12. Darnok

It might be the channel the router is on, particularly if you have a cordless phone. If there is a conflict, the WiFi won't work. Switching it off and on again can help, and so can going into the router settings via your laptop and setting the channel manually. If you have a cable, you can plug the laptop into the router directly. If it works plugged in, then it might be the channel.

13. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    No,I tried it earlier and it’s still the same,I tried the router earlier with the smart tv and it’s working fine,showed it to a lassie at work and she reckons it’s a driver that’s at fault,I’ll probably end up taking it to a repair shop.

14. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Make sure the time and date on the laptop are correct, the internet won’t work sometimes if they’re not.

15. Minty1888

Have you always had issues with the laptop connecting to wifi or is it a new problem? have you updated your router recently?

might be a 2.4Ghz/5Ghz problem. Older devices will use 2.4 and may not "see" 5Ghz. Router might only be configured to broadcast 5Ghz. I'm guessing this is why your phone/smart tv can connect but your laptop is having issues. Setup router to broadcast 2.4 and 5Ghz on separate SSIDs if possible

Also, get an ethernet cable as suggested above and hard wire into router. If you get internet, you know it's not a laptop problem.

16. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Cheers,the laptop has always worked fine with the router, the laptop is around 2years old,and I’ve had the router for about a year. I was listening to music on YouTube last Friday (if that makes any difference) and when I tried to use it again on Monday it wouldn’t connect.

17. Minty1888

All other devices apart from laptops can use internet ok?

so let me get this straight, as it stands, the laptop can see your WiFi SSID eg "Johniebhoy's Internet" and you can connect the laptop to this WiFi?

But when you open a browser on your laptop, you can't open up websites?

TRY 1:
    Do you connect to this network automatically? I'm guessing you do, so first, try and forget the network and don't connect automatically. Instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/246104/how-to-delete-a-saved-wi-fi-network-on-windows-10/ You'll need to enter wifi password again.

TRY 2:
    Open CMD (command prompt)
    type: ipconfig /flushdns

instructions: https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-do-i-flush-my-windows-dns-cache/

TRY 3:
    As mentioned above, check the date/time of the devices. Incorrect settings will cause issues with sites.

18. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    It sounds to me like either:
    1). The wifi has been disabled on the laptop, via the Fn(function) key
    Look in the Lappy's manual what Fn key combinations do this for that model OR
    tell us here what make and model the Lappy is and someone here can look it up and find the combo for you.
    2). The drivers for the wifi card are missing/lost/corrupted..check the device manager to see if it shows wifi driver
    3). The wifi card itself has chucked it and needs replaced.

It will probably still connect fine if it's hardwired with an ethernet cable as laptops have a wifi card AND a built in ethernet on the motherboard, that then points to a wifi issue.

Also as others have said reboot (love that phrase on a device with no hard drive LOL) i.e. power off the router then back on again, give it a few minutes to fully reset itself, can take 5 minutes sometimes.

Date and Time issues can cause web site access problems, but again if it's fine hardwired then it's not a date/time issue as it would do the same hardwired.
    If it is a date time issue with both you need a new CMOS battery.

Note: at only 2 years old for the lappy and a year for the router 2.4ghz & 5ghz should be both work

19. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Thanks lads for your input,to be honest a lot of your advice just sailed straight over my head,I’m at the age where I kinda missed the techy revolution but I know enough to get by. The laptop is a Lenovo, I’ll get the model number when I’m home from work.i took a photo of the diagnosis from the laptop but the phone is saying it’s too big to post,basically it says the Atheros qca9377 wireless network adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems.

20. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Johniebhoy. No worries, if it's a Lenovo (IBM) it's probably the Thinkpad 13 which has the Qualcomm Atheros qca9377 wireless card in a windows 10 system.
    Buy yes for sure when you get home do find out the exact model the Lenovo is, and the OS i.e. windows 10, 8.1, 7.
    If the diagnostic is pulling up that the card is experiencing driver or hardware related issues then it is either a driver fault or the card may just have chucked it.
    Best way to be sure is to reinstall the cards driver.
    If you have the original CD/DVD that came with the lappy (the drivers disc) your laughing else you'll have to connect a cable to the ethernet port (network cable/hardwire) and then go online and download it.

If it is indeed the Lenovo thinkpad 13 v2 and it's windows 10 here's a link for that driver:
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds119729
    If it's NOT that model then I'll have another look when you tell me the correct model.
    HH