1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Seen someone on that JJ blog say that Tierney and NL had words at one point. Maybe he does want away.

2. wulliebad

Lad at work said it was because KT bent over to pick up a ball and NL stuck his finger in KTs * for a laugh.:40:

Ghotti Bhoy, Dannybhoy81 and The IRA like this.
  3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    JohnJames is another no mark like Phil mashiteligin know about as much as Celtic business as we do which is the square root of fuckall Jeanie

Free the Adblock and Jeannie960 like this.
  4. Murph-E

No doubt that JamesForrest blogger will be out soon trying to villainise Tierney, claiming he's known for ages he wanted away (but of course "couldn't say") and that he isn't a true Celtic man.

5. Aidan O’Shea

Has he left yet?

6. Murph-E

Yes.

7. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    How do people still read that stuff. Him and Phil Mac 3 names haven't a notion what happens inside the club

8. Aidan O’Shea

Great to see.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Me personally, I'm far more impressed by a guy on fairly ordinary wages turning down the chance to double them and set his family for life than I am by any modern footballer on extremely high wages already and whose family will already be set for life turning down the chance to quadruple them.

Maybe that's just me.

Apart from the timing, which others have already pointed out, there is the way Rodgers conducted himself in the last year of his time here after he decided he would leave: not investing in transfers for the future last summer, running KT and CM into the ground, not looking after Rogic well, etc.

KT may well leave this summer, but he will never give less than 100% every time he pulls on the shirt.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Murph-E

So no matter what, even if Tierney does turn down a move away, you find McGrory choosing to stay at Celtic in 1927 more impressive? Fair enough.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone trying to correlate a potential Tierney move with what the rat did is laughable.

Peej, kinglenny, JML67 and 2 others like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't know the details of their respective lives well enough to make a sweeping statement like that about them personally.

I was responding to your suggestion that the increase KT has been offered and the one McGrory could have obtained aren't comparable. I also think they aren't remotely comparable, but in the opposite direction.

What I am saying is that that in general and all other things being equal it is far more impressive for a guy on ordinary wages like McGrory to turn down doubling his salary than it is for a guy on KT's wages to turn down quadrupling his IMHO. This is because, again in general and all other things being equal, the money is usually far more significant and life changing for the former.

To be clear, I am not saying that if KT turns down the move, it is definitely less impressive than McGrory. None of us know their respective circumstances well enough to make a statement like that. I'm talking in general.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    You wonder where the rumours come from. It wasn't JJ that said it but one of his readers. I don't set much store by what either he or PM say and JJ got it majorly wrong when he claimed Moyes had the Celtic job. It's just that we seem to have went from guys like KT and Calmac who are dyed in the wool Celtic from practically infants seemingly wanting away. I know players come and go but I suppose like everyone else I expected them to see the 10. They may well still do and maybe it's just all speculation. If I'm being honest I'm still not sure about Lenny but I hope that he's the right guy.

14. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    You make a valid point about only playing with 1 striker, but imo the way teams set up and sit deep against us usually means the fullback will be putting in more crosses than the winger (Sinclair) who tucks in and creates space for the cross-so his assists should be a bit higher than the 4 he got this season. When he usually crosses it, it's usually a low cross in the general direction of a player or a hit and hope, his technique goes out the window. Even Lustig registered more assists last season (sure he played more games) but he was mostly standing at the half-way line when we went forward.

To your last point, I think it's better for the player to work on their downfalls while their at a lower standard league, because when he makes that jump his weaknesses will stick out like a sore thumb. Arsenal want both their fullbacks high up the pitch, the fans will be expecting crosses like Robertson puts in every game, yet what they'll get it something completely different. If he can't produce a decent ball against the likes of Hamilton, how will he be expected to do it against the likes of Chelsea/Liverpool etc with quality defenders closing him down? He has the luxury of having 0 competition for the left back position here, no doubt at Arsenal if you make 1 or 2 errors in the game which costs the team you'll find yourself dropped and people turning on you quickly. It would be better for him imo when he wants to leave to go to a club like Everton and quietly go about his business and get a feel for the league rather than being thrown in the deep end and having bomb scares like Mustafi partnered beside him.

Don't get me wrong, he's 100% ready to make that next step up in leagues, whether that be Serie A or the prem- just think him staying here for another 2 seasons really wouldn't do him too much harm, clinch the 10, work on his weaknesses in the league, wage rise, give European football one last crack and become a Celtic legend. Either way, like you say we've won 9 trophies in a row, maybe I'm being too unrealistic but it would be great to see him and Brown lift a few more, if not wish him nothing but the best in his career.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We barely put crosses in under Rodgers. Just wasn’t in our game plan. It doesn’t worry me. When it comes to being “thrown in the deep end”, worse fullbacks have done pretty well for themselves in the premier league. He will be fine.

But I agree with your last section there. 2 years, get the 10, then go and do what you want.

celticfan01 likes this.
  16. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I hope he stays as am sure we all do. Does feel like we might not see him in the hoops this season though. If Napoli do come in I can't see them fannying about like arsenal. I could imagine them asking what the price is, rather than try £18M with add-ons etc .

I would love to see him retire with us but if he does go I hope it's to a bigger club than arsenal. Obviously he plays in a different position to van dijk but in terms of potential I think tienrey could easily go on to be the world's best left back. We all seen the same potential in vvd as a young centre back.

Wish we had enough money to keep our superstars. A team with tierney, vvd, wanyama and dembele. Christ, that's a European giant there!

17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I have already pointed out that there is no correct time to leave Celtic as if Rodgers did leave at the end of the season, it would put us in a detrimental position ahead of the most important section of the season for me - CL qualifiers.

Not investing in transfers for the future? Do you not think that is part of the reason he left? He was not backed that well and no mention of an increased wage bill can suggest otherwise. Remember the GB banner in January, “If you don’t back him, you’ll lose him”. There was a consensus at this time last year and the emotion of him leaving should not change history.

Running CM and KT into the ground is a hard one. Can’t agree with that at all.

The same manufactured excuses used to justify criticism of Rodgers should be interchangeable with the KT situation but unfortunately double standards ensue:

- ‘why would he leave before 10 if he was a Celtic fan’
    - ‘why would be leave at an important part of the season’
    - ‘football is a short career so you can see KT’s point’
    - ‘he (KT/Rodgers) will triple his wages’
    - ‘KT (Rodgers) will play (manage) at the top level’

For the record, I think KT is a massive Celtic fan - a much bigger one than Rodgers is or was - so it would surprise me that he would leave when he could achieve so much here still: UCL progression; captaincy; 10 IAR. I would be surprised if he actually left at this stage if I’m honest.

But if he does leave, I would be embarrassed if he received the same treatment as Rodgers. Fundamentally over the top in every way that situation was. KT would get by best wishes even if it was tinged with disappointment.

18. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Exactly mate, I can't get over people making this comparison either.

Tierney is far worse.

bagforlife, Mr Shelby and Seán Mac D like this.
  19. dmccourt95

Really don’t see him going to arsenal. Think someone will come in later on in the window and bid 30 mill

20. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Tierney will want to be the best player he can possibly be. It would be different if we kept on to our top players and had any ambition in Europe.

He’ll see these guys move on and do well and know he is just as good if not better.

He’s already arguably the best player at Celtic and therefore in the league.

Anybody on here that’s played at the game at any level knows that your game improves dramatically playing with better players. Tierney will be motivated by proving how good he is and there’s nothing wrong with that, although I didn’t think it would be so soon.