1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

From the Quality Street gang to Lenny's Lads

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 26, 2019.

Discuss From the Quality Street gang to Lenny's Lads in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Not just judging this on what sounded like a wonderful game today as a result of ghe youngsters, but now is the biggest chance we've had in many a years to have literally a full squad of players brought in from our own development.

Clearly I'm not saying our first 11 should be made up entirely of them, but the majority of it COULD for certain games.

Might be a blessing in disguise Lenny getting the job as I'm very certain he has the balls to give these lads plenty of game time this season, some of them could even go on to cement first team places.

Biggest talents:

Johnstone
    Dembele
    Okoflex
    Henderson

Then you have the likes of:

Hazard/Doohan
    Welsh
    Robertson
    Etc

* smashing.

Mix the experience with thesw Bhoys and let them flourish the way we really should be using our academy lads.

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Need to phone Barca see if they have any of that growth hormone left for wee Dembele.

3. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Ill ask you a question would you sacrafice the leauge cup and play theres guys from start to finish

Peej and Maestro 08 like this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

People have talked about the 'Ajax mould' etc. but it really is the way we should be doing it. Produce your own top class players and you're spending less on fees and also bringing in more when they eventually move on..

A lot of the greatest ever teams have had that core of players who played together through the youths - Ferguson's united team a good example. The understanding of each others game, togetherness, team spirit is much stronger that way.

Compliment that with a few senior pros and a couple of higher level youngsters (Édouard, Shved, Ajer) and you've got a very decent side.

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I know you didn't ask me but yes - 100%

I think we'd have a good chance of winning playing those young guys anyway.

M 67 and Keano88 like this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No. But it is a decent shout..

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd put McInroy in that top bracket as well Pad..

Mullen is younger and potentially better than Doohan and Hazard for me. Then you've got
    Coffey
    Morrison
    Harper at different age groups who look promising..

Good signs that's for sure. We definitely have the player's in the academies. It's just giving them a chance and them taking it..

8. johnnybhoy777

The homegrown(-ish) talent at Celtic right now has frightening potential. I know this is complete fantasy but imagine if we could keep a lot of this squad together for 4 years.

Scott Brown as manager

Scott Bainyuer in goals

defence of a matured Ralston, prime Ajer and captain fantastic Tierney

a midfield of Calmac as the Scottish Dunga with Hendo as a pale Zidane and Christie as an Iniesta type in between them.

The wings have Dembele and Okoflex feeding the greatest forward Celtic has ever known: Michael Johnston (we have to call him Michael because he no longer looks like a child and has grown a beard)

We win back to back Champions Leagues, King just gives up and liquidates the zombies and Jesus finally comes back to earth and his first words are UP THE RA YA *

9. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Finally after many years we have 3/4 established first team players in the starting 11 that have came through the system and about 4/5 chapping at the door. The tide has turned with our youth system, we've even got players like KT and Mcgregor being quoted for 10s of millions. Although we don't want to sell them its showing that our academy is working perfectly. Starting to see a conveyor belt of talent which bodes well for the future.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Whoflungdung likes this.
  10. Maestro 08

It's a self fulfilling prophecy in the sense that if a young 12 year old wide player sees someone like Mikey Johnstone making it at us he will adapt his game based around his talents in the sense of...right thats what I need to do, thats how I need to influence a game. If you look at Ajax, their young CB's will be looking at De Ligt, their midfielders at Van de Beek and so on. We need to let that pathway flourish by showing confidence in the best of out or talents on a regular basis, despite the concerns. Johnstone, Henderson & Dembele should be the beginning of a production line that have the pathway for future players already mapped out.

Whoflungdung, Tommy25 and JML67 like this.
  11. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Got a wee shiver and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, reading the OP

Excellent !!!

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye definitely mate, I had literally just jumped into the bath when I made the thread, so was forgetting to add some names into the mix. I definitely would have Ralston in about it as well - I know he's no everyone's cup of tea, but I think he's got what it takes, especially on the defensive side.

Think it's a definite indicator of how we're looking at our youth system under Lenny with him giving so many young guys a run out so far in pre-season.

If you look at his track record with giving youngsters a shot, it's really not too shabby. Gave Forrest his big shot, and he's turned out (all in, despite some honkers) a good return for us (POTY last season). He's given Johnstone the no.19 jersey, so that's probably a tell tale sign that he rates him and will play him, Henderson I think he really likes, obviously there's no keeping Dembele out of the frame to whatever degree he plays at, and Okoflex might just prove to be very useful. Ralston can easily be no.2 no.2.

Rodgers came in and told us what we all wanted to hear, that our next £10m player should be found from the academy. He never kept up that end of the bargain.

We continually search every season for the next big thing from other club's youth development, but continually overlook our own - I genuinely believe the tide has turned in that respect.

Whoflungdung and McChiellini.. like this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Agree with all of that bud :50:

reusablebag likes this.
  14. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Hard one to answer. If we get put out early, i don't think it would be good for them mentally.
    If we went to to the final and lost, I think NL would get some stick for not picking a more senior team for a big game and the same team who got us to a final would be called bottlers, again not good for young minds.
    An ideal way would be to have a healthy lead in the league and then start with a good blend of experience and youth and if they drop a few points then back to the senior team

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Yes.

Always great to challenge for, and/or win the LC, but let's be honest it's the lesser of all competitions for us.

It's a perfect platform for our high appearing players to get a rest, and younger/fringe players to show they can do what it takes.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    In a normal season I'd say yes, but Lenny is going to be under enough pressure, right from the off, from fans who didn't want him to get the job and the media, that I don't think he can afford to get off to a bad start in the first available trophy. Taking a chance on a youth side just isn't worth the risk this year in my opinion.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Lenny's Lindors

18. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

You can't win the league with kids....ahmm sure some other * said that ;-)

Always believe a team should have some kids that come through the ranks, lads we love to see progress. 2 or 3 top class performers, a superstar we all adore and a few hard core Celtic supporting leaders that soon let them all know what playing for Celtic means.

jake10 and McChiellini.. like this.
  19. Keano88

Could even add guys like Aitchison and Church too.

I like Aitchison, lacks pace but has good movement, link up and is a good finisher, a homegrown Hooper.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye you could mate..

I like Aitchison. Still insure if he'll make it though..

Church is more likely but still remains to be seen..

Aitchison is extremely intelligent in his runs without a doubt. Surprised he hasn't done well in any of his loans yet..