1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McClean:

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Henrik 07, Dec 14, 2017.

Discuss James McClean: in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. clonbhoy

That doesn't validate him saying, not to mention how he says it. There is no need for him to belittle or patronise another player who has tried to fight his own battles or compare them and that is how it comes across, even though it is, presumably, unintentional. As someone who has felt McClean has been nearly always right when he opens his mouth (even if I think he should delete his Twitter account for his own sake), I feel this was just unnecessary. The point could have been better made without making those comments. They come across as sly digs when written down.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    The comparison is completely necessary because it highlights the fact that the FA and media in general will throw its whole support behind anti racism toward skin colour but not identity of origin. I think the statement was worded wisely with the effect of people taking notice and planting a very small seed. The abuse of a guy who is an Irish Nationalist is sickening and a great point is also to say about private support but not public from team mates and they will shamefully know who they are.

3. clonbhoy

Whether the comparison is necessary or not is largely irrelevant, is is the manner of the comparison that comes across terribly; maybe it came across differently in conversation . The retort about Sterling 'getting another award' may have been an attempt at caustic humour, but it really comes across as a petty dig.He has right on his side and is only complicating his own argument.

For example, if he had simply mentioned that if the word 'Irish' was replaced of with the word 'black' in any of the instances abuse he has received, the response would have been different; that would have validated his argument. He could point out the comparative history in Britain between anti-black racism and anti-Irish racism, and how one is now seen as completely unacceptable but that the other isn't. He could then use Sterling's name as an example, of how when he stood up for himself the reaction was different to when McClean has made his point.
    No matter how many times I read it, I feel his language has let him down here.

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye and it was being behind the door and worrying about everybody else’s feelings that got the Irish communities in Scotland undermined and treated as second class citizens. The same mentality at play here and the comparison is completely relevant as it is the backbone of the argument. As in one is fair game and the other isn’t.

5. clonbhoy

No, this is different as it isn't a case of not worrying about anyone else's feelings, but deliberately not caring for them; or at least coming across that way. Just to be clear, again, I don't think it was intentional and is the difficulty with transcribed conversation, but he should have chosen his words carefully.
    He seemed to be deliberately showing no sympathy in an attempt to drive his own point home and, in doing so, undermined it.

6. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    JAMES MCCLEAN HATES THE * QUEEN!

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Why should he care? Nobody has rallied round him and everything he says falls on deaf ears. So give them something to look at and as it has turned out in the past they try to reprimand him and then step back. Guilty as charged. And I honestly believe it was intended as McClean calls it like it is.

8. clonbhoy

Again, he doesn't have to care; although I think he should, for no reason other than he should have some empathy for the situation the English media put Sterling in.
    But even if he doesn't care, being dismissive of the racism shown to someone else is unlikely to help his own case. His point is, and it goes without saying that he is correct, that anti-Irish racism is not being taken seriously; so why the need the question the validity of any other racism in such a dismissive manner?

Let's stretch the realms of possibility here for a moment and reverse the roles. Try and imagine that Sterling is the one receiving the abuse about his West Indian heritage and McClean is the footballer who, having previously being singled out by the media for being Irish, having every act he committed scrutinised, has had his complaints validated by standing up for himself and was now being treated with more respect.
    In such a scenario, I would be more than a little annoyed if Sterling, in trying to draw attention to his plight, made a cutting remark about McClean's hard-won vindication. It would seem churlish and unnecessary. I would imagine I would lose empathy for Sterling's case. It would strike me as attacking another victim rather than those responsible for the apathy. I am sure we would all agree that Sterling could draw attention to the similarities without coming across as insensitive?

Put simply, McClean has every right to be angry, but his comments come across as if he is angry at Sterling for having his arguments listened to, rather than being angry at the F.A. or 'Kick It Out' for not listening to his. That is a gross misrepresentation of the situation and reflect badly on him. I really hope that your suggestion that it was deliberate is untrue as I would lose an awful lot of respect for him if that were the case. Fortunately, I think it was just badly worded. I do think he should clarify it, for his own sake.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. celts67

11. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I have always been proud of James McClean. A man who will not have his views dictated to him by the British government. There is nothing wrong with not wearing a poppy or opposing minutes's silences etc for the British army.

They would not expect a Jew to honour a minute's silence for Germany's war dead.

The man stands up for what he believes in.....Respect to you James McClean

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Cupid Stunt

Imagine they stopped the game and made announcements at Ibrox, would be worse than watching NFL, game would last about 6 hours.

* would have to invest in a new tannoy system every other week as well.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Seen the video of what looks like towards the end of it as he's taking a corner..

Ridiculous what he's had to put up with for year's down here..

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Should have been done years ago,the levels of abuse he has to endure is shocking.

17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, strange they're suddenly bothered after about 8 years of him playing down there, putting up with the same * on a weekly basis.

Sydneysider and Johniebhoy. like this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I have quite a lot of mackem mates and I occasionally go onto their forum to see what they are saying. Before Liverpool played in Qatar there was a thread on how players and managers should make political statements and stand up for what they believe in. I thought at the time that's interesting let's see how many of you apply this to James McLean next November ( or throughout the season.)

Had a look yesterday and there are a few that are trying to be balanced, however the majority are just coming out with the usual dipshit bigotry.

Sydneysider likes this.
  19. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

It'll never change. Passed on generation to generation and isn't helped by biased education in schools and right wing media.

Wonder if it's anything to do with the carry on at White Hart Lane a few weeks ago and the spotlight being on the behaviour of fans at English football.

Sydneysider and PARKHEAD67 like this.
  20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Aye. Sadly it is passed on generation by generation. Unfortunately in the current political climate I can't see a more balanced debate happening anytime soon. You will see a lot of folk saying he is a supporter of PIRA. Well looking at his age he was 5 at the time of the first ceasefire 8 at the time of the second so "what is he supporting"?

All he has ever done is to take a dignified position to choose not to "honour" those "heroes" who went in and murdered those in the community he grew up in.