1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

'The Banter Years'

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jun 18, 2019.

Discuss 'The Banter Years' in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Two you what, if glory years mean trebles every season I never want them to end.

2. Maestro 08

I know its been said before but that is a staggering amount. It makes him by far and away the highest earner at the club. Does anyone know if thats the case at many other clubs? How can he in good faith justify our wage structure, which could be seen as prohibitive when he's cleaning up so much money above any of the players & manager. It really shows what he thinks of himself and what we value in our business model. I.e Profit, profit and profit. Lawell is a money man yet I agree with others who say he has manouvered himself in to this Director of Football role. His 'come out each window stronger' mantra that he peddles despite the obvious regression in squad quality also shows he makes the judgement call on what areas of the team needs 'strengthened'.

Ultimately he has far too much influence at this club. Lazy recruitment, eeking out contracts to over the hill players, over reliance on loan players (the Man City connection through his kid), penny pinching on squad players ahead of quality all point to this but Desmond and the board seem more than happy with it & it doesn't look like changing for a long time. Realistically probably only a complete capitulation on the field domestically will begin to change that.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This, plus some of the criticism is also continually inaccurate/overstated which then reduces the valid criticism.

Marie and Senna s1979 like this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

£2.4 million of that was from a staggered bonus which was negotiated with a remunerations committee but I'd hazard a guess that they didn't negotiate as ferociously as we do over every single transfer fee or contract. That is on top of his 100% salary increase between 16/17 to 18/19.

It puts him into the top 3 CEO packages in UK Football, only behind Levy of Spurs and Woodward of Man United. More than double Moore of Liverpool who overseen profit rising by more than 300% while Liverpool made a Champions League final, before winning it the following season and coming within 1 point of winning the league. It appears that we can compete with the EPL after all; but only in 1 particular area.

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Club PR going into dave king levels of distraction today.

Facebook account : on this day we signed odsonne eduoard on a record breaking permanent deal!

Official site: on this day we signed george connolly

6. Maestro 08

That's a real eye opener and I can bet the disparity between Levy/Woodward wage and their top earning players (probably players earn more) isn't as great as it is between Lawell and the players here.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I genuinely had no idea he was in that pay bracket in comparison with EPL....lots of food for thought there

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. KL Bhoy Kez

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    This is nothing like the McGinn situation, the board * about with the McGinn situation hence why we lost him. In this situation the board have done almost everything right and are still getting slated for it.

9. horseshoe

They post these things all year round, they'd still have happened if we'd signed turnbull and four other players this week, it's not a conspiracy or deflection get a grip.

10. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Our fans need to accept that not everyone wants to come to Celtic. That’s why we couldn’t get benitez or mourinho or martinez, and it’s why we don’t get a lot of players we go for. Outside of potential champions league football we don’t have very much to offer compared with low end prem teams/upper championship teams.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  11. Maestro 08

It's situations like the Mcginn transfer and our terrible transfer windows going back years now that lead to the board getting hammered either way. They have eroded any good will and fans have lost patience. Yes they have probably done the right thing here but I'm not surprised fans still give them grief, they have built up a reputation over the years of being cheap skates and this is coming back to bite them. Their statement was probably the biggest acknowledgement of that you will get.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sorry but that's defeatist, propagandistic nonsense. Of course we will find it difficult to attract elite level managers and players but we should be able to attract individuals further down the rungs, either young players looking for game-time in a team that competes for trophies and in Europe or players that have fallen out of favour at richer clubs.

All we need to do is point to the recent examples of Champions League and possible Ballon D'on winner Virgil Van Dijk or Moussa Dembele who is on the cusp of a move to Man United, Arsenal etc.

Other clubs in provincial leagues with similar budgets as us manage to identify and attract players, why are we any different?

13. CountyDownFaithful

I take your point. We missed out on McGinn because we repeatedly failed to meet Hibs asking price until it was too late. With Turnbull we met the asking price and couldn't agree personal terms.

I just think there is some similarities, mostly in terms of the outcome. Alongside McGinn and McKenna, we have now ultimately failed to land another up and coming talent from Scotland.

The club then let the DT saga run on for a week, in the headlines daily, and we ended up not signing him. I feel because of this we have started the summer on a negative and in my opinion is going to affect the rest of our summer.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  14. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    I'm sure Lawwell earned £1.25 m last year which makes his weekly wage £20k (a fair chunk in itself) so where do you get this £60k a week

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

£1.12 million salary, £2.4 million bonus = £3.52 million for the year or £67,692 per week.

Murph-E likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In the heat of Lisbon...

17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

That’s approx £24k a week.

18. Maestro 08

Whatever way you cut it Lawells always getting a bonus. A massive one or an even more massive one so in real terms that 24k a week is prob a minimum of 35/40k up to the near 70K you have quoted. Best paid person at the club by far. Does he deserve it? In the majority of the fans eyes, * no. In the board room amongst the suits and the shareholders. * yeah he's the main man. Lawell only answers to the latter and that's the disconnect right there.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Do you mean McKenna of Aberdeen? The same player that is still at Aberdeen? A Rodgers target who is probably marginally better than big Hendry. Things can always be better at every football club and fans expectations are usually higher than dealing with the reality of actually running a club.

Too many of our fans are starting to believe all the media headlines and hyped up negativity of Scottish sports writers in particular. We must be doing something right on our end because the Huns are celebrating us not signing Turnbull like they have achieved some success. Embarrassing from a club who find it difficult to punt their top players. Even Morelos agent piping up on our transfer dealings. That * time would be better spent trying to get a couple of million for his player, just so they can turn the heating on at Ibrox.

For me the bigger story in Scottish football would be all the outstanding court cases and monies owed by the filth. They have spent money they haven't recieved for players there has been no interest in. I know as the most successful club in the country we will have targets on our back but we have all the trophies, season ticket waiting list and no debt.

Are the board above criticism from the fans. No, they have made some big mistakes but Turnbull isn't one of them. We need to get the Tories out and I think a fan representative in. (Different discussion) Lawell has been negligent in making sure we were prepared for Europe in all aspects and that goes from GK to strikers. I understand why he didn't release funds last summer as he already knew Rodgers was ready to bail out and had shown his hand that far back.

We have built up a big kitty and we have chosen Lenny to lead us to ten and it matters little if it was in the shower, on the toilet or across the desk. I think the point was made to show the unity and how grounded the club and Lawell can be. Of course a bit of jesting as well. Another treble would be great and a good run in Europe but for me the most important thing we crave is ten in a row and beyond. So we should show a bit of patience and all on the same page and not roll with the media hype or hun snipes.

Spring Time likes this.
  20. Gully Sands

Fav Celtic Song:
    SAM song
    No more depressing pish. HIGH ENERGY. QUADRUPLE TREBLE. UP THE RA.

Dannybhoy81 and packybhoy like this.