1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

'The Banter Years'

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jun 18, 2019.

Discuss 'The Banter Years' in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Treble,trebles are not banter years.Although the love trophy is.They seem to only celebrate it as newco,i can never remember it any other time.Tells me its only something they do to keep the continuation myth alive,i could be wrong but can anyone remember it from 80s,90s?

jj81 likes this.
  2. jj81

I recall them well , I remember not buying the rags then ( main source apart from news on TV as no interweb) poster out side shop informed passers by theres a 24 page pull out for their treble , we got 4 pages I think iirc , when they won trebles and anyone questioned the quality, they said we can only beat who is in front of us and it's hard to win a treble no matter the opposition, we do it 3 times on the bounce, ack its expected.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  3. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    The frustration for genuine fans is, yes we’ve (the team) just done a treble treble, but it was almost all in first gear with abundant European humiliation alongside. Strange though it may sound, we as a club can achieve so much more. We don’t require a huge push to reach the next level which is continued home dominance but also respect back in the Champions League.

The board don’t seem aware or worse capable of delivering fans’ expectations. Embarrassed by McGinn, embarrassed by some kid I’d genuinely never heard of until a week ago. Then * about it on Twitter like a hormonal teen. Embarrassed last year by AEK after failing to buy any defenders. Going another 12 months without buying a single defender and indeed attempting to give more money to 2 completely past it full backs.

I can’t recall the last successful transfer window - probably Rodgers’ first? Which is an embarrassment as we’re cash and trophy rich with free European access - a dream for a large number of potential signings.

This should be arguably the best period in Celtic history, yet many fans are actually wondering if the ten will be thrown away. For me that’s the biggest disgrace and the board should man the * up publically to their litany of mistakes or * the * off.
    P.s. I believe Lawwell is good at his day job, issue is he’s became a de facto director of football with seemingly free reign from a completely absent Desmond (who does what exactly?)

4. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Our banter years are but a pebble right now, started as a microorganism with the blue rail seating season ticket.

We are building it up over time lads, blue badge on the keeper top is another wee notch.

5. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thread is a joke. Unparalleled success doesn't half stir up some *

StPauli1916, Gyp Rosetti and Marie like this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What part of that isn’t real? :56:

7. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    You're right, maybe it's a bit too real for my liking :55:

Although my point was still that if that piece of paper constituted our recruitment strategy, that's arguably even worse than not having one altogether. Obviously we don't know the context of the paper-- whether it was just a British player targets list or something else, so we can't really dig too deep into it until we see how this summer plays out.

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We.Move.On.

9. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    It confuses me why people keep lowering the bar back to the 90s, where we played some of our worst football in our history. The bar is higher now, and it should stay there

CountyDownFaithful and Murph-E like this.
  10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

By the same token, a lot of people use the 60’s -70’s as the bar & this is the best, game trophy wise it’s been since then. :50:

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Think we will be absolute * again but still win then league :56:

Can’t see us winning a treble but 4 in a row is unlikely whoever took charge this season

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Started long before this season..

Boyata, dembele, deila being far down the list of manager targets..

13. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Ive never seen anyone on here expecting us to win the champions league but I’d rather be optimistic.

14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I was referring to the domestic rather than European.

Ghotti Bhoy likes this.
  15. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Should rename this thread The Banger Years and those who seem to be embarrassed by our club recently can state their case and we can laugh at them getting their Paw Patrol pants in a twist.

StPauli1916 and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  16. seanm

* great post bang on.start signing targets now.defenders and strikers no more * midfielders please.HH.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think anyone is getting their pants in a twist. We could and should be running a lot better than we are.

Yes we are in a cycle of unprecedented domestic success but that doesn't mean we should be able to voice legitimate concerns. A well-ran business encourages feedback and constructive criticism, as long as it remains balanced and rational then I think it can only be a good thing.

We pay our CEO a fortune in actual and relative terms, it's time he started earning his over £60k per week in 18/19 and stop us lumbering from one PR disaster to the next. Give up the de facto DOF role, implement a proper structure for scouting & recruitment and start strengthening a squad that badly needs it.

Xatraps and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It’s never balanced or rational with some posters on here.
    That’s the point.

Yes we could do some things better and I don’t think any sane person would argue otherwise.
    But it’s the way some people on here react to every little thing like it’s the End of Times.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree, however I think we're all guilty of acting irrational at one point but people do it because they care.

It's frustrating to watch us being ran in a completely dysfunctional manner. Our CEO boasting about ignoring all managerial job applications for one of the most important appointments in our history, transfer document leaks, job offers to Izzy who has been overlooked for McGregor and Hayes this season..only to be rejected, manager offered the job in the shower, waiting a week for a response, Lustig implying that his exit was dealt with shabbily, being strung along by a 19-year old boy from Motherwell complete with petulant tweets and allowing him to play us like a fiddle 4 days later. It's a shitshow.

Senna s1979 and Xatraps like this.
  20. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I always try to be very positive but it's hard to ignore what you are saying and most worryingly the fact that all the stuff you have brought up has happened in such a short space of time.

You would need to have your head up your * to not have some concern over what's currently going on after weighing all that up.

Mentioned before that I have friends involved in scouting at a few clubs and they assure me Celtic in the last few seasons no longer seem to send people to games north or south of the border and nobody knows who actually does that anymore if anyone, Sunderland fans have also stated that's what happened there under Congerton