1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Like amateurs..

There's no clear strategy..

Last summer we failed to get player's in we wanted. We then admitted we had no player's for certain positions even lined up..

In January we flopped about and ended up signing a number of 6 month loan's as we were clueless with no longer term idea..

This window sounded promising but already we've * about with 1 main target since trophy day a month ago and been * about with in to a new week for the second time by a Motherwell teenager..

DoTheBroony, The IRA and Cupid Stunt like this.
  2. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Reliable source lol?

3. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Disappointing not to have got anyone in yet is an understatement. It is quite worrying and a * shambles that our board have not acted. It is not only demoralizing for us as supporters but the players as well. They have been crying out all last season for freshness and help, to come back into training this week and start it all again knowing you have had next to no break, we risk some serious burn out of these guys if we do not get equal quality in to give them a rest

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Mental - Lustig, Toljan, Boyata, Benkovic, Weah and Burke all away and all we've done is * about with an attacking midfielder who'd probably be about the 6th choice midfielder when it's a defensive midfielder we really need but more importantly we need defenders badly.

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
  6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  7. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's pathetic..

I actually think we need an injection from middle to front as we haven't been creating a lot and blowing side's away. A goals scoring midfielder is required..

It really has been a cluster * from Boyata no being allowed to leave for 9 mill then walking away for free. Dembele going last minute and no backup being brought in. The loan's. A lot of player's leaving/left. The leaked documents. This Turnbull fiasco. * Harper about..

Maestro 08 likes this.
  9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Worst is there seems to be no targets for defence or we would be in for them.

Im not too worried about attacking players tbh, Griffiths back, Bayo and Shved, Arzani - Johnston and Henderson probably better.

My priorities would be a centre-back, right-back and defensive midfielder. I don't know about Harper never heard of him but im sure I read he was a defensive midfielder cant believe we never brought him in.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  10. Cupid Stunt

Anyone else close to just chucking it in until we either start acting like a football club that wants to progress, or the current board * off and a new one with some ambition or at least connection with the fans is put in their place?

I made a thread a while back about the total apathy I had towards the club at that time and nothing has really changed.

Brendan leaving caused a lot of anger, but I was almost grateful, it gave me a reason to really care about something and I was sure, for once, the board wouldn't take the easy/cheap option finding Brendan's replacement because they witnessed first hand not only the difference a top quality manager made to performances, but also the lift and buzz bringing in Brendan provided.

Don't get me wrong, names like Mourinho and Benitez were always pipe dreams, but it looked from the betting there was at least something going on in the background and I was excited. What materialised, once again, is that the board are a useless shower of thieving * who rob the fans for every penny and couldn't give a * about anything but themselves.

To have Lennon as plan A * me off enough, but to come out and brazenly admit that Lennon was actually plan A, B and C and we hadn't even looked beyond him was a genuine * disgrace and almost the last straw for me.

Now we approach a transfer window where we know there's millions in the bank, plus Rodgers compensation and thousands going off the wage bill, supposedly been working on our transfer strategy since February and * all is happening. There's barely as much as a Shane Long rumour ffs. I've been bitten so many times, that whilst I get these little moments of anger, my overriding emotion is just 'meh'.

I know people are going to throw out the treble treble line which is most people's go to response, but come on, that's done, that's in the past. We enjoyed that moment when it came and now we should be looking to go again and build a squad capable of qualifying for the CL.

If we suddenly pull the transfer window of a century out our * and qualify for the CL I'll more than happily eat my words, trust me I want this club to progress more than anything, but all I see is regression over the past couple of years and no urgency or even an indication that we are actually attempting to alter the downward curve we are on.

freitassen, DoTheBroony and bhoy81 like this.
  11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I really don’t know what this window will bring, I hope it brings defenders and better players.

Can’t see it though

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye it's quiet. All very good if we aren't giving much away and doing it efficiently, but that looks rather optimistic..

Good point about Henderson particularly. I believe Henderson will be a better player and is more technically sound. Turnbull is better developed at around the same age and is more of a goal threat though at this stage..

We should've signed Harper immediately when he was clearly interested. Having him up on trophy day a month ago, he should've been our first signing..

He's box to box but big, strong and more of a runner. Was a different type of box to box than Turnbull anyway so doesn't make sense why we cooled our interest because of him..

Antz1888 likes this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Not a chance that I feel like chucking it, treble treble, 8 titles in a row aye it's bleak * this. In saying that think we are being short changed by the club as are the last few managers. We are in comparison to the rest of Scottish football absolutely minted and should be able to pull miles ahead of the rest, but transfer windows the past couple of years have been pathetic

JC Anton likes this.
  14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I wonder how much Rodgers * us, he must have planned to leave this summer and wanted to keep Dembele and Boyata no matter what with no thought to us being * this summer if he Boyata, Benkovic, Dembele, Lustig and whoever all left at once.

So basically the last 2 transfer windows he never really had any interest in signing anyone except John McGinn. He never cared about replacing Lustig, Boyata, Dembele as he knew he was leaving as well.

If he had a longer term plan and the best interests of the club he'd have had options to replace Boyata, Lustig, Benkovic and Dembele etc

15. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Its okay we will gamble with the team we have for the first 3 qualifying rounds and then 'TRY' get some quality in for the hopeful champions league rounds.

16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Ffs he left 4 months ago shouldn't * us at all, we should be looking for high quality targets irrelevant of the manager its been clear for past 2 years wev needed improvements at CB & RB. Recruitment is a 365 thing, we can plan for players a year in advance, 6 months in advance ect ect

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely..

Bringing in Congerton was a joke to start with but he's only just out the door..

No wonder we're *..

He definitely downed tools in my opinion on our future wise recruitment. Was all about doing enough till he could get away at the first opportunity..

Yet only just managed to get rid of his right hand man head of recruitment. Our manager only in to his first window also..

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The problems are ongoing though, we should have signed a Lustig replacement last summer, we shold also have sold Boyata and had his replacement lined up to come in knowing he was in the last year. We should also have planned for Dembele's sale and had someone to come in last summer.

Rodgers was only concerned about himself and probably thought im not letting Boyata or Dembele go, they can leave with me next summer and was probably happy just to keep Lustig and loan Benkovic.

Rodgers imo planned to walk away this year and would have left us in disaster(still kind of has).

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Need a Director of Football in place urgently.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Yep..

I find it utterly bizzare we've signed not 1 player on a pre contract scouring about..

I don't know what we're doing..